Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.41 Display Driver Preview

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD 8.41 Display Driver Preview

    Phoronix: AMD 8.41 Display Driver Preview

    While many thought this day would never come or that it was some form of propaganda, it's coming and it's coming this month. The AMD fglrx 8.41 driver features a brand new underlying code-base that has been under development for well over a year. At Phoronix we have literally spent hundreds of hours using and testing this new driver, and to say the least it is truly a new experience on the ATI Linux front. The new driver delivers massive performance improvements, Radeon HD 2000 (R600) support, and a whole lot more. This article is the first of five articles that will be published today at Phoronix as we examine the new AMD Linux driver extensively on all fronts from seeing how it can handle the flagship ATI Radeon HD 2900XT graphics card to going back to past graphics card families to show the dramatic performance improvements.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=10955

  • #2
    I hereby declare this the "Too late, I bought an Nvidia card this week" version.

    Comment


    • #3
      you should add "shame on me then" to the version name in that case

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank you AMD

        Congratulations to AMD. They delivered!

        Even though announced, this was an unexpected pleasant surprise.

        I think the name 'Holy cow!' is appropriate here

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ioannis View Post
          Congratulations to AMD. They delivered!
          What? No. They haven't delivered yet in the least.
          First of all, they haven't actually RELEASED ANYTHING yet. And even then, there will be no AIGLX in the upcoming driver.

          *EVEN* if they finally get around to add AIGLX to 8.42, it's too little, too late. That should have been available 2 years ago.

          The ridiculous driver development model doesn't help, either. Three months to release stuff that compiles with the latest stable kernel? Drivers take bring down X when an external monitor is disconnected? Drivers that bring down the entine machine if trying to start X with primary display on external connector? I'll bet they haven't fixed the graphics corruption issues either.

          Sorry ATI, but nvidia and intel are still kings of the Linux desktop.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by uhoh View Post
            What? No. They haven't delivered yet in the least.
            First of all, they haven't actually RELEASED ANYTHING yet. And even then, there will be no AIGLX in the upcoming driver.

            *EVEN* if they finally get around to add AIGLX to 8.42, it's too little, too late. That should have been available 2 years ago.

            The ridiculous driver development model doesn't help, either. Three months to release stuff that compiles with the latest stable kernel? Drivers take bring down X when an external monitor is disconnected? Drivers that bring down the entine machine if trying to start X with primary display on external connector? I'll bet they haven't fixed the graphics corruption issues either.

            Sorry ATI, but nvidia and intel are still kings of the Linux desktop.
            What's wrong with you people?! Judging the new driver before it's even available...
            There have been promises, and so far they've been fulfilled (ex. better performance).
            Just wait 1 damn week and then judge all you want.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
              What's wrong with you people?! Judging the new driver before it's even available...
              There have been promises, and so far they've been fulfilled (ex. better performance).
              Just wait 1 damn week and then judge all you want.
              Who cares about performance when the driver DOESN'T WORK? Wow, I get to crash X even faster!

              After hearing "just wait" for two years I really don't think they deserve to get the benefit of the doubt.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by uhoh View Post
                Who cares about performance when the driver DOESN'T WORK? Wow, I get to crash X even faster!

                After hearing "just wait" for two years I really don't think they deserve to get the benefit of the doubt.
                So far, you've only had promises.

                Now you now for sure that something new (if nothing else) is coming.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
                  So far, you've only had promises.

                  Now you now for sure that something new (if nothing else) is coming.
                  That remains to be seen. They still haven't delivered, as that other guy so cheerfully proclaimed.

                  PS: If this driver is such a big deal, why didn't they set the version number to 9.0 ?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by uhoh View Post
                    That remains to be seen. They still haven't delivered, as that other guy so cheerfully proclaimed.

                    PS: If this driver is such a big deal, why didn't they set the version number to 9.0 ?
                    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5061

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      What? The only reason given in that thread is
                      "The 9.* will happen when there's a complete rewrite of the Windows/all driver, too.".

                      The only reasonable conclusion, then, is that ATI is lying, with the claims that 8.41 "features a brand-new underlying codebase that has been in development for over a year"?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by uhoh View Post
                        What? The only reason given in that thread is
                        "The 9.* will happen when there's a complete rewrite of the Windows/all driver, too.".

                        The only reasonable conclusion, then, is that ATI is lying, with the claims that 8.41 "features a brand-new underlying codebase that has been in development for over a year"?
                        That was only the suggestion of a user, not an official stand point.

                        The driver hasn't even been released, maybe it'll be 9.0 or whatever. Besides, why judge a driver by its name/version?!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by uhoh View Post
                          What? The only reason given in that thread is
                          "The 9.* will happen when there's a complete rewrite of the Windows/all driver, too.".

                          The only reasonable conclusion, then, is that ATI is lying, with the claims that 8.41 "features a brand-new underlying codebase that has been in development for over a year"?
                          calm down, will you?

                          The Phoronix guys were kind enough to offer as a good review of the driver, in terms of performance gains. And there are more related articles coming soon. Since this is not the 1st of April, there is no reason not to believe those figures. The new driver, which will be released to the public shortly, is significantly faster and does come with R600 support.

                          Considering ATI's LINUX support until now, it's ok I guess to be a bit sceptical, but you are overreacting.

                          As the old saying goes, 'better late than never'

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ioannis View Post
                            calm down, will you?

                            The Phoronix guys were kind enough to offer as a good review of the driver, in terms of performance gains. And there are more related articles coming soon. Since this is not the 1st of April, there is no reason not to believe those figures. The new driver, which will be released to the public shortly, is significantly faster and does come with R600 support.

                            Considering ATI's LINUX support until now, it's ok I guess to be a bit sceptical, but you are overreacting.

                            As the old saying goes, 'better late than never'
                            I'll believe you when I'm running compiz on my laptop AND there are no garbage graphics in the corners AND the mouse cursor stays straight. That will be the day when I can wow my co-workers with "Look! I'm doing what you guys did 2 years ago!"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              8.42 "The Soaring Suidae/Swine"
                              Last edited by rob2687; 09-05-2007, 05:24 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X