No announcement yet.

AMD 8.41 Display Driver Preview

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well speed is only one issue of the ATI drivers. Others are AIGLX, which would be really nice for Distributions without Xgl like Debian. Xgl is a really awful hack, you can use it with any card, like even on old GPUs to try things like water effect, but running 2 Xservers the same time usally leads into problems. One not yet mentioned problem that has not been solved for years (!) is the fact, that custom modelines are ignored or even lead to system crash. Thats a bit sad when you want to use a resolution that the monitor will never report with dcc like 1280x960. I would like to see a fixed driver for that issue too...

Comment

Kano, many news only mentioned the performance part, but AMD is not going to improve the performance, but to improve their driver. That includes more. Don't forget that.

Comment

Kano - AIGLX is to be expected in the 8.42 release in October, not really too far off just have to hope it makes it.
        Last edited by HighHo; 09-07-2007, 11:57 AM.

Comment

I hope some of the beta testers will try something like:

# 1280x960 @ 85.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 85.68 kHz; pclk: 149.43 MHz
          Modeline "1280x960" 149.43 1280 1376 1512 1744 960 961 964 1008 -HSync +Vsync

As nobody cared for years I would not expect it...

Comment

Is the device support the same as the old one where it only supports the 9500 onwards?

Comment

Originally posted by rob2687 View Post
              Is the device support the same as the old one where it only supports the 9500 onwards?
              The new driver architecture supports the R300, R400, R500, and R600. So yes, the same except for the added R600 support. However, temporarily in the 8.41 release there is no workstation FireGL support.
              Michael Larabel
              http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Did you try the ChipID override for FireGL GPUs?

Comment

Does ATI/AMD do the same to the FireGL GPUs as nVidia to their Quadros, in terms only enabling in the driver certain features on the FGLs but the regular GPUs also have them? I simply ask due to the chipID thing (I remember I had to change mine a couple of times as it was being erroneously recognized)

Comment

I guess so, but can not verify. I extracted all ATI driver infos (from log file) up to 8.33.6 and there have been the same chip codenames for FireGL and Radeon cards.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOmegaMan View Post
                      I agree but since there was never any mention about what vid-card, motherboard, cpu, version of linux, driver revision being used I don't think I'm getting carried away by complaining about someone who seems to like to complain about something they don't even know how to reseached their hardware and bugs/config tweaks to get it going properly. I know that I did complain a little too and I am sorry but those "1337 h4x0rz" out there should stop trying to be so 1337s and maybe try actually to read and learn things instead of using a "Go-button" approach to everything then complaining that things don't work and the company involved sucks worst than antying else in the universe.

I like Nvidia and ATI, my new laptop I chose nvidia since at the time it was fully supported. So other than this, uhoh should search this forum for some tips on getting that "corruption" fixed. Every problem I have encountered to date I could resolve by simply using goolge and my two eyes. I don't come in a forum and start complaining about how a company that never gave a rats ass about linux all of the sudden does an about face and this guys is bitching???

Now WTH is up with that, and I'm being looked down at because I feel very strongly that AMD/ATI is making a great choice by doing what they are doing and having the opinion of people who just hate the world and everything in it and nothing is said about them. Ok then, I am sorry and will keep quiet, I guess getting praise from the consumers is something that AMD is NOT looking for, great now that means they will go full steam ahead in linux right???
                      Well he has a point and this point is that ATI/AMD fucked it up themselves. They left us out in the dark for too long and that's why most of us long time ATI-linux-users still aren't convinced if somebody says "the new driver is so much better than the old one... speed improvement, aiglx-support will come soon..." (no offence Michael!!) Btw. i'm still not 100% convinced that the new driver will be so revolutionary i'll believe it when i see it PERIOD. The main problem is that there are some bugs that were reported MONTHS ago (i know the public bugzilla is not the official one but at least SOME devs or the dev could have a look at the reported problems once in a while) and ATI just ignored it. That's what most ppl have been so pissed about (including myself)...

If they finally managed to get their stuff together and created a product that is finally able to compete even in linux, i'll be one of the happiest guys on earth but i won't believe it till i actually get to see it myself

Comment

Originally posted by TheOmegaMan View Post
                        This is for uhoh:

<bitch>
                        blah blah
                        </bitch>
                        I'm sorry I offended your ego trying to justify your poor choice of graphics card.

If you think complaining about mouse cursor corruption and desktop corruption in the corners is "dumb and unneeded", I guess I just have higher expectations than you about the 2D graphics quality from my graphics card. I've searched forums and even participated on the unofficial bugzilla where several others report the same problem (http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=683). Obviously all these people are having a mass hallucination since you don't get this problem.

I also had early ATI cards (mach64) which required disabling hardware mouse cursor support in windows to avoid corruption and lockups. This just goes to show that ATI's awful drivers have a long history. How is this an argument in favour of ATI? Look at the facts: 1. Today, it is not possible to get a corruption-free desktop experience on ATI 2. Today, it is possible to get a corruption-free desktop experience on NVIDIA. Conclusion: ATI has *not* done an awesome job; in any case, NVIDIA has done a better job.

I don't care who buys who (why would you even bring that up), all I care about is having a graphics card that is able to run Firefox and my IDE of choice with decent performance, no screen corruption and no crashes. To this date, this is not the reality of an ATI card owner's life.

I've tried running the open source driver several times, but it's so poor that any web page with opacity layers in Firefox brings the entire machine to a halt. Effectively, these drivers are unusable. Also, you of all persons should be aware that the reason that those open source drivers exist in the first place is not due to the generosity of AMD/ATI, rather, it is IN SPITE of that gfx card vendor.

Claiming that I haven't mentioned specs or versions just goes to show that you haven't done your homework at all before going into flame mode.

It's scary how all those ATI apologists come out of the woodwork whenever someone dare to criticize ATI's non-delivery, and then have to resort to personal attacks and calling names ("...how stupid [you] are")

Comment

Originally posted by uhoh View Post
                          I'm sorry I offended your ego trying to justify your poor choice of graphics card.

If you think complaining about mouse cursor corruption and desktop corruption in the corners is "dumb and unneeded", I guess I just have higher expectations than you about the 2D graphics quality from my graphics card. I've searched forums and even participated on the unofficial bugzilla where several others report the same problem (http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=683). Obviously all these people are having a mass hallucination since you don't get this problem.

I also had early ATI cards (mach64) which required disabling hardware mouse cursor support in windows to avoid corruption and lockups. This just goes to show that ATI's awful drivers have a long history. How is this an argument in favour of ATI? Look at the facts: 1. Today, it is not possible to get a corruption-free desktop experience on ATI 2. Today, it is possible to get a corruption-free desktop experience on NVIDIA. Conclusion: ATI has *not* done an awesome job; in any case, NVIDIA has done a better job.

I don't care who buys who (why would you even bring that up), all I care about is having a graphics card that is able to run Firefox and my IDE of choice with decent performance, no screen corruption and no crashes. To this date, this is not the reality of an ATI card owner's life.

I've tried running the open source driver several times, but it's so poor that any web page with opacity layers in Firefox brings the entire machine to a halt. Effectively, these drivers are unusable. Also, you of all persons should be aware that the reason that those open source drivers exist in the first place is not due to the generosity of AMD/ATI, rather, it is IN SPITE of that gfx card vendor.

Claiming that I haven't mentioned specs or versions just goes to show that you haven't done your homework at all before going into flame mode.

It's scary how all those ATI apologists come out of the woodwork whenever someone dare to criticize ATI's non-delivery, and then have to resort to personal attacks and calling names ("...how stupid [you] are")
                          I can see why you blame ATI and deservedly so but things are changing since AMD took over. Their track record with Linux does deserve the benefit of the doubt. 11 months after the buyout and they are opening things up, rolling out a completely new driver. Your attacking that driver without any actual experience using it. lol It's your negativity bordering on hatred that is being attacked.

Your basing all this on a Mach 64 card?? whats that an r100 chipset? My x800pro (R420) actually works well with the open source driver. I can use Compiz/XGL fine if I choose to. I can wait 1 more month for AIGLX support with the 8.42 driver.

As for no corruption with nVidia I've read plenty of people having problems with Compiz fusion especially with their new 8000 line of cards ..
                          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                          Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
                            I can see why you blame ATI and deservedly so but things are changing since AMD took over. Their track record with Linux does deserve the benefit of the doubt.
                            Actually, their track record with Linux does NOT deserve the benefit of the doubt. That's the whole point I'm arguing.

Your basing all this on a Mach 64 card?? whats that an r100 chipset?
                            No I'm not, I suggest you read what you are replying to. The ATI card I'm currently having issues with is an x600.

Comment

Originally posted by uhoh View Post
                              Actually, their track record with Linux does NOT deserve the benefit of the doubt. That's the whole point I'm arguing.

No I'm not, I suggest you read what you are replying to. The ATI card I'm currently having issues with is an x600.
                              I'll just agree to disagree about AMD.It takes time to re-organize.

Hmm no where in the post I quoted did you mention an r600..and it's been well documented that neither the open source driver or the proprietary driver supports the r600 in Linux..the upcoming 8.41's are the first to do so.. I can understand why your ad it's taken soo long to support it.. but that is the penalty for buying new hardware out the door..Same can be said for nVidia's GeForce 8 series. Sure they got drivers out sooner but they also haven't fixed any issues in over 2 months.
                              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                              Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

I'll just agree to disagree about AMD.It takes time to re-organize.

Hmm no where in the post I quoted did you mention an r600..and it's been well documented that neither the open source driver or the proprietary driver supports the r600 in Linux..the upcoming 8.41's are the first to do so.. I can understand why your ad it's taken soo long to support it.. but that is the penalty for buying new hardware out the door..Same can be said for nVidia's GeForce 8 series. Sure they got drivers out sooner but they also haven't fixed any issues in over 2 months.
                                Again I must ask you to please read before posting. It's an x600, not an r600 that I'm talking about.

Comment

Working...
                                X