Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 12.9 For Linux Brings Few Good Changes

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 12.9 For Linux Brings Few Good Changes

The AMD Catalyst 12.9 graphics driver for Linux was released on Thursday...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE4NDk

xvba is totally broken. It segfaults like hell with the code that worked really nice on other all releases since 11.10 - currently investigating...

Comment

It's not the first time they posted the embedded driver before the full/official one. I'll wait for the "real" 12.9. Is the new 2D architecture the default yet?

Comment

Does it work with SNA activated in the intel DDX driver yet?

Comment

Fix performance downgrade with 3DMarkVantage
          What?? There weren't more important things to fix?

Comment

Still not compatible for X.Org Server 1.13 Quantal.

"...
            fglrx_drv.so: undefined symbol: noXFree86DRIExtension
            ..."
            Last edited by fritzls; 09-14-2012, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
              What?? There weren't more important things to fix?
              Probably came across from work on another OS. Remember this is a code-shared driver.

Comment

Unfortunately this driver do not detect my Asus Radeon 5870 V2 when running aticonfig --initial . "aticonfig: No supported adapters detected" . I hope that when they release the drivers on their official download page this issue will be corrected. My system is running Ubuntu 12.04 and I installed the driver from .deb file.
                Last edited by trinitrotoluene; 09-14-2012, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trinitrotoluene View Post
                  Unfortunately this driver do not detect my Asus Radeon 5870 V2 when running aticonfig --initial . "aticonfig: No supported adapters detected" . I hope that when they release the drivers on their official download page this issue will be corrected. My system is running Ubuntu 12.04 and I installed the driver from .deb file.
                  Same here! Somehow both the Radeon HD 6570 and the integrated graphics on de A8-3870 aren't detectable.......

Comment

Originally posted by mard0 View Post
                    Same here! Somehow both the Radeon HD 6570 and the integrated graphics on de A8-3870 aren't detectable.......
                    same goes for my HD7750 OC from MSI...

Comment

At first glance it sounds as if the driver might be configured to support only the embedded SKUs.

Comment

Not recognize because the driver is not being loaded.

Still this error..

"..
                        fglrx_drv.so: undefined symbol: noXFree86DRIExtension
                        ..."

Xorg/kernel not suported.

Comment

Gnome Shell support ?

What about Gnome Shell support ? Are there still some rendering issues ?

Today, I was installing Ubuntu 12.04 on friend willing to switch to linux (he didn't burn the restauration disk of windows and wouldn't pay 60 for shipping after his HDD died).

I didn't dare to install the catalyst driver since the free driver was working well... That's how bad amd/ati's reputation is ! Anyway, we begin to have good free drivers since amd/ati releases gpu specifications, so everything is not so bad ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by remjg View Post
                            What about Gnome Shell support ? Are there still some rendering issues ?

Today, I was installing Ubuntu 12.04 on friend willing to switch to linux (he didn't burn the restauration disk of windows and wouldn't pay 60 for shipping after his HDD died).

I didn't dare to install the catalyst driver since the free driver was working well... That's how bad amd/ati's reputation is ! Anyway, we begin to have good free drivers since amd/ati releases gpu specifications, so everything is not so bad ;-)
                            Hmm .. Just so you know, with Chakra Linux you can use the proprietary drivers on live mode too. So you can have an idea whether and how they work
                            (^ if this interests you or anyone else here)
                            I like their approach on their drivers in general I'd say(they have proprietary latest drivers for all cards in their repos, both catalyst and catalyst legacy and have a version of xorg that ensures all cards can work fine with the proprietary drivers, so not much digging for all that. Oh, and auto-detect on live boot for non-free drivers["Boot with non-free drivers" option]).
                            Hope more distros implement similar aproaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
                              Hmm .. Just so you know, with Chakra Linux you can use the proprietary drivers on live mode too. So you can have an idea whether and how they work
                              I didn't know Chakra Linux but it's not relevant to me since it's using KDE.

I used to install the proprietary driver from the live CD and try it. But on Ubuntu 12.04 live, after installing the proprietary driver and gnome shell, there is no easy way (graphical way) to log out in order to try gnome shell.

Comment

Working...
                              X