Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll On ATI Linux Driver Possibilities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
    wtf with the windows comparison already! ATI's OpenGL performance has always been bad, even in windows. The way I remember it, there's little performance difference in OpenGL between the two drivers.
    Those of you asking for windows performance are asking for a bad driver! (they might listen).

    I want a driver that can fulfill my graphics card's potential (and that's not the windows driver).
    Excuse me, but there's a big difference between the two- approximately half the overall performance under Linux versus Windows in many cases. We're not even AT the mediocre performance showing of the Windows OpenGL driver yet.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      Excuse me, but there's a big difference between the two- approximately half the overall performance under Linux versus Windows in many cases.
      Ok, I haven't used windows in quite a while, so I must believe you in this approximation. Don't you agree though that, game-wise, "barely/somewhat playable" (windows) is not that much better than "almost unplayable" (linux) ? (the current situation may not be *that* bad)

      Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      We're not even AT the mediocre performance showing of the Windows OpenGL driver yet.
      Would you be happy with that kind of performance though? I wouldn't...

      Comment


      • #33
        OpenGL Windows Performance has improved a lot in the last years. It is as good as nVidias Performance "now".

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
          Ok, I haven't used windows in quite a while, so I must believe you in this approximation. Don't you agree though that, game-wise, "barely/somewhat playable" (windows) is not that much better than "almost unplayable" (linux) ? (the current situation may not be *that* bad)
          It is for at least part of the parts in the supported range for fglrx. In the end, even mediocre is better than what we currently have, which verges on abysmal for some of the chipsets.

          Would you be happy with that kind of performance though? I wouldn't...
          If you knew what I did as a pastime as much as anything else, you'd know that I do not consider the mediocre performance in Windows to be acceptable, let alone the worse performance under Linux. However, having said that, stellar's something that's going to be tough to get for them on a first cut of the new codebase derived drivers- I'm willing to ask for realistic goals, which would be parity with Windows at this point. Parity with what's about to come out for MacOS would be perfect, but I don't see that as a realistic goal for them- though they could surprise us all the same.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            OpenGL Windows Performance has improved a lot in the last years. It is as good as nVidias Performance "now".
            Depends on the application. There's some...odd...breakdowns in performance because of some design decisions they appear to have made in their drivers. (The silicon's not the one to blame in those instances...) Some games and some workstation apps can still drag the hottest machines to their knees in XP or Vista with ATI hardware and not with NVidia in the same context.

            Comment


            • #36
              i've got some interesting "news" from this thread (http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulle...d.php?t=378087)
              in a german 3d-forum. a "guest" (->anonymous) said that the new driver will be there in ~2 weeks. well, it's kind of rumour i think. (he talks about open source-driver, too. but he also knows the avivo project so it is not too fantastic since not everybody knows projects this kind). you can't take it that seriously, but i think every myth is based on a true event... .
              what dou you think? 2 weeks? sounds fantastically^^

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Regenwald View Post
                i've got some interesting "news" from this thread (http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulle...d.php?t=378087)
                in a german 3d-forum. a "guest" (->anonymous) said that the new driver will be there in ~2 weeks.

                ...

                what dou you think? 2 weeks? sounds fantastically^^
                Nope, it's not two weeks. It's ______...
                Michael Larabel
                http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Nope, it's not two weeks. It's ______...
                  I think I'll start a "Michael haters group".

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    well, you're not the only one, i would join^^
                    on 10th september, they are going to present their new barcelona cpu. perhaps there are similarities/overlapping?! so it seems to be this month because there is still no 8.41?!

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      You will find out in due time...
                      Michael Larabel
                      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        damn you make me crazy :O
                        well it is very exciting! however, i'm still happy with my nvidia 7600gs with xinerama

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Michael, I remember there was a promise for a review showing cedega gold*, but it never came through. I'm assuming that cedega didn't meet the expectations, so the review was dropped.

                          I'd hate it if something similar happened with fglrx, after all these promises and your obvious certitude for improvement.

                          Can we at least be sure that your information is correct (ie. you're getting more than just some promises from ATI) ? It'd make you look like a "joe jerkoff", and people may really start hating you if ATI failed to deliver as promised.

                          Hopefully, you can answer the question without fear from the hit squad.

                          * as in "US gold", "dacian gold"

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
                            Michael, I remember there was a promise for a review showing cedega gold*, but it never came through. I'm assuming that cedega didn't meet the expectations, so the review was dropped.
                            Actually, in that case Transgaming would not send us the final build of Cedega that is available to the customers, just the preview/media build that still contained bugs.

                            Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
                            Can we at least be sure that your information is correct (ie. you're getting more than just some promises from ATI) ?
                            The information shared thus far remains correct about the claims of what this driver will offer (performance improvements, R600, etc) plus more.
                            Michael Larabel
                            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              I'm relieved

                              AND

                              <insert big grin here>
                              Last edited by Xipeos; 09-04-2007, 03:42 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Michael View Post
                                The information shared thus far remains correct about the claims of what this driver will offer (performance improvements, R600, etc) plus more.
                                Ugh, if the guest in that other forum forum is correct (I hope he is) this "plus more" could mean open source drivers. If this was true I would directly consider buying a new graphics card from AMD/ATI. If it is not I will stay with my good old 9800Pro that is by now at least working using the open source drivers though speed is not this good. (UT2k4 is playable at 800x600 with medium details, Doom3 is just a slideshow as well as many other 3D games)

                                I hope this guy was not some strange kid speculating as maybe all of us were at the times when AMD did buy ATI...
                                Last edited by ivanovic; 09-05-2007, 06:16 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X