Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most for your money, proprietary NVIDIA or AMD drivers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Most for your money, proprietary NVIDIA or AMD drivers?

    As a general rule, I know NVIDIA's the fastest on Linux, but which has the most units of speed per dollars spent, proprietary NVIDIA or proprietary AMD drivers. How big is the gap?

  • #2
    I would haft to say go with AMD, and pick a card that has 128-bit memory bus. I have been using the AMD A6 series cpu that has a radeon hd6520G built in for a few months ( since last august), and it works great on the blob. Also, Last I looked, the amd blob actually passed more tests than nvidia's bob when using piglit opengl test suite[1]. This means that generally speaking, the amd blob tends to better match what the open source drivers are aiming for.



    [1]
    Mailing List: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/piglit
    Git Repository: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/piglit/

    Comment


    • #3
      Don't buy ATI for linux use. Don't do that to yourself.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by barkas View Post
        Don't buy ATI for linux use. Don't do that to yourself.
        I'm getting sick of these type of comments. In normal practice there is three main problems with your logic and the blanket Nvidia is better than AMD issue. The whole problem can summed up as a cycle.
        1. Lack of Independent Developers - This is probably the most crucial portion. Without developers using the drivers and hardware to create software actively prevents the bugs from being found and reported in a fashion that the engineers that creat the driver best understand. Developers tend to create the software based on how their local system responds. This means that for better or worst, if there is any major bugs within the driver, these bugs will be reflected in the software.
        2. Lack of Software - This is inadvertently caused by the Developers, but this means that for better or worst, If the driver fails to follow specification, the software will clearly function improperly on the hardware that tends to handle the specification better. A good example of this is the Wine because of the fact that a majority of developers that work on this software all use Nvidia and nvidia's driver. This inadvertently causes the software to be tailored to the bugs that are not following spec that are found in the nvidia binary driver are actually integrated into this popular software, and thus causes this software to malfunction when used on other drivers/hardware.
        3. Lack of Highly skilled end users - This is just a general reduction in the total number of people who file bug reports. Generally speaking the more skilled users will be able to provide a lot more details on what is going on with the system. This in turn allows the driver makers to be able to reproduce the bug using their own test systems.


        It's probably hard to figure these three points out, however, These are a cycle, because developers will always target the hardware that has more users. Anyways, back to the first post's question... I would say to look at what the windows benchmarks are and decide. I would haft to say that if your looking for a good video card for under $150 USD, I would look at the following cards as long as they have at least 128-bit memory bus as a dedicated card.
        • AMD Radeon HD5770 to HD5870
        • AMD Radeon HD6570 to HD6890
        • AMD Radeon HD7750 ( or higher )
        • Nvidia Geforce GT630 ( Be careful when selecting a card with this model name, and read the specifications carefully)
        • Nvidia Geforce GT640 ( Or higher )
        • Nvidia GeForce GTX (5x0 or 6x0 lines )


        Radeon HD7750/HD7770
        Nvidia Geforce GT640 ( Be care, make sure you get the model with 128-

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Dandel View Post
          I'm getting sick of these type of comments. In normal practice there is three main problems with your logic and the blanket Nvidia is better than AMD issue. The whole problem can summed up as a cycle.
          1. Lack of Independent Developers - This is probably the most crucial portion. Without developers using the drivers and hardware to create software actively prevents the bugs from being found and reported in a fashion that the engineers that creat the driver best understand. Developers tend to create the software based on how their local system responds. This means that for better or worst, if there is any major bugs within the driver, these bugs will be reflected in the software.
          2. Lack of Software - This is inadvertently caused by the Developers, but this means that for better or worst, If the driver fails to follow specification, the software will clearly function improperly on the hardware that tends to handle the specification better. A good example of this is the Wine because of the fact that a majority of developers that work on this software all use Nvidia and nvidia's driver. This inadvertently causes the software to be tailored to the bugs that are not following spec that are found in the nvidia binary driver are actually integrated into this popular software, and thus causes this software to malfunction when used on other drivers/hardware.
          3. Lack of Highly skilled end users - This is just a general reduction in the total number of people who file bug reports. Generally speaking the more skilled users will be able to provide a lot more details on what is going on with the system. This in turn allows the driver makers to be able to reproduce the bug using their own test systems.


          It's probably hard to figure these three points out, however, These are a cycle, because developers will always target the hardware that has more users. Anyways, back to the first post's question... I would say to look at what the windows benchmarks are and decide. I would haft to say that if your looking for a good video card for under $150 USD, I would look at the following cards as long as they have at least 128-bit memory bus as a dedicated card.
          • AMD Radeon HD5770 to HD5870
          • AMD Radeon HD6570 to HD6890
          • AMD Radeon HD7750 ( or higher )
          • Nvidia Geforce GT630 ( Be careful when selecting a card with this model name, and read the specifications carefully)
          • Nvidia Geforce GT640 ( Or higher )
          • Nvidia GeForce GTX (5x0 or 6x0 lines )


          Radeon HD7750/HD7770
          Nvidia Geforce GT640 ( Be care, make sure you get the model with 128-
          Good advice, but what you responded to wasn't worthy of such a detailed and reasonable response since it was just an unjustified fanboism.

          Comment


          • #6
            I confess. I'm an unjustified fanboy of working stuff.

            Comment


            • #7
              If you want to decide whether you get new drivers first for a new kernel/xserver there is only one choice if it has to be a dedicated card (does not apply for laptops with optimus): nvidia. amd provided 2 halfbaked 12-6 beta/final drivers with xserver 1.12/kernel 3.3 support where you need a patched libpciaccess package (specific for that system) and one legcy driver, from the version number 12-5, but called 12.6 legacy without that libpciaccess bug and kernel (on 64 bit) up to 3.4. out of the box support for kernel 3.5 you only get with nvidia. xserver 1.12 (rc) support for nvidia was introduced several month ago. If you want a new nvidia kepler (gk) chip on new series 6xx, then this card must have got pci-e 3.0 support, otherwise it is still fermi (gf) based (series 4xx/5xx with dx11, pci-e 2.0).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by barkas View Post
                Don't buy ATI for linux use. Don't do that to yourself.
                Yeah I would not buy from a company that has not been around for 6 years either...

                Next you gonna say don't buy a 3DFX card...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
                  Yeah I would not buy from a company that has not been around for 6 years either...

                  Next you gonna say don't buy a 3DFX card...
                  0/10 points on the trollmeter.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I am sick of AMD. Now i am really sure that my next gpu will be intel integrated video. Intel HD 4000 is more then enough for my casual gaming needs.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Not sure about that. On win of course, but on Linux the driver is not feature complete and slower. Several commercial linux games will not run well (if at all) and wine is bad with intel as well. Only when your games are very simple or flash based, then...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by barkas View Post
                        Don't buy ATI for linux use. Don't do that to yourself.
                        Seconded. MSI GT725 with three years of catalyst hell(mobility radeon 4850/512MB).

                        Got an eVGA GTX 670 FTW for my new desktop for $400 in June, performance is right up there with the GTX 680, and linux is smooth as silk. Such a pleasure to be able to watch videos in linux without video tearing, games randomly deciding to choke in VERY SPECIFIC instances, etc. (It's not overheating. It started happening as soon as I got the machine with VERY SPECIFIC apps/games under VERY SPECIFIC conditions. Initially I thought that it MIGHT be overheating, or bad memory but running prime95, furmark, unigine, memtest, etc. all turned up zilch. Temps all plateaued at reasonable numbers AND STAYED there when fan was running at max with 100% GPU/CPU utilization. Better than I expected really. I'm pretty sure that in some of the 2009 catalyst threads that I posted about this... then I eventually gave up as the drivers actually got worse or didn't seem to have anything other than support added for a new GPU.)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Not that the question had anything to do with Intel but in a few generations... maybe the next tick, their APU will be monstrous right now I can't justify that kinda cost for performance it's insane. Yeah you get a great CPU but the GPU portion isn't on par with the cheap AMD's. I know their support isn't the best and I own both AMD and NVIDIA I think my next rig is going to be AMD as well at least the way things are looking atm.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            hmm


                            For example i was and i am tempted to buy a thinkpad from T series but i was always concerned about optimus but after a bit o googling it seems u can choose in bios to have optimus enabled or not and use with graphic card u prefer. It`s actually great news meaning u can use ur nvidia card to full capacity when playing games or enable intel igp only when u are on the move and need battery life. As for AMD i have a amd laptop with hd3200 IGP integrated and last catalyst show washed colors in videos compared to OSS drivers and on windows it gives me corruptions in games. On windows i reverted to original driver from lenovo website its from 2010 and it works perfect from what i can tell, games have no glitches again and so on. On linux i`m going to be using OSS drivers for ever since i run fedora17. So to sum it up i have a proc from amd l325 athlon neox2 with no cpu scaling integrated graphic card with crappy drivers. So for me no more AMD its time to give others a chance too , meaning intel/nvidia.

                            P.S. i had high hopes for intel drivers from the performance point of view but i am optimistic they will improve in short time.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              For what it's worth, I'm pretty happy with my GGTX 560. HDMI on Ubuntu worked flawlessly, 1900x1080 resolution is fine, and recent games I've been playing - Oblivion and Two Worlds II work fine on highest graphics possible in settings.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X