Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drivers for AMD (ATI) Radeon HD 5670 in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin).

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by barkas View Post
    EDIT: I hope you know that the cchtml bugtracker is unofficial and not necessarily monitored by ati staff,
    It's perfectly true to say "the tracker is... not necessarily monitored" because it's a meaningless statement, but in fact the tracker *is* monitored and bugs *are* fixed.

Comment

The 12-6 final driver has got a lower version number than the driver packaged in U 12.4. Not optimal to install somehow. Basically that driver should work with hd 5670, but it is a pretty buggy driver overall. The 12.6 legacy (why 12.6 not 12-6?) is better but would have got a even lower version number - correct name would have been 12-5. The 12-6 drivers are both crap when tested with xserver 1.12 - they both need libpciaccess hacks on debian or with u updated to 1.12 via ppa.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        It's perfectly true to say "the tracker is... not necessarily monitored" because it's a meaningless statement, but in fact the tracker *is* monitored and bugs *are* fixed.
        By the way, what should I expect when I write a support ticket at the AMD site? Should I get some answer? An automated email or something? A ticket number?

Because a ticket without number is completely useless.
        Last edited by barkas; 07-08-2012, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          The 12-6 final driver has got a lower version number than the driver packaged in U 12.4. Not optimal to install somehow. Basically that driver should work with hd 5670, but it is a pretty buggy driver overall. The 12.6 legacy (why 12.6 not 12-6?) is better but would have got a even lower version number - correct name would have been 12-5. The 12-6 drivers are both crap when tested with xserver 1.12 - they both need libpciaccess hacks on debian or with u updated to 1.12 via ppa.
          I know from experience that if a driver is newer, that does not have to mean it is better.

EDIT: And that is exactly what I meant by a bug that is trivial to find. Reminds me of the time I beta tested Windows ME. I survived until the second beta, where the complete DNS resolving functionality was dead. No, I did not post that bug, they should have found it themselves. Never got a beta 3, go figure .

If those bugs crop up, it simply means you have a huge QA problem.

I realize AMD employees are not allowed to state that publicly though , but I expect them to know and to work at it.
          Last edited by barkas; 07-08-2012, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Problem SOLVED!

Hello Everyone!

Problem is SOLVED!

As per recommendation from fglrx bugtracker- BIOS upgrade on my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H) was the solution! I upgraded to the newest version which is F8E. I was able to install latest Catalyst 12.6 drivers succesfully.

I had problems with upgradeing BIOS from Windows XP and Windows 7, but upgrade directly from BIOS with Q FLASH worked perfectly! To do it, just download BIOS from Gigabyte site, extract the archive, copy BIOS file to USB stick, plug USB stick into computer, reboot system, hit "End" button during startup and select BIOS upgrade from HDD- you can find lots of videos on YouTube about that.

Many thanks for your help and support!

Looking forward,
            Przemek.

P.S. I wanted to edit my initial post to put solution there (to avoid going through full discussion to search the answer), but I can not do it...

Comment

Originally posted by barkas View Post
              By the way, what should I expect when I write a support ticket at the AMD site? Should I get some answer? An automated email or something? A ticket number? Because a ticket without number is completely useless.
              The tracker assigns a number automatically when a new bug is entered. For example, przemnet's ticket was #560.

Comment

Problem SOLVED!

Hello Everyone!

Problem is SOLVED!

As per recommendation from fglrx bugtracker http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=560 - BIOS upgrade on my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H) was the solution! I upgraded to the newest version which is F8E. I was able to install latest Catalyst 12.6 drivers succesfully.

I had problems with upgradeing BIOS from Windows XP and Windows 7, but upgrade directly from BIOS with Q FLASH worked perfectly! To do it, just download BIOS from Gigabyte site, extract the archive, copy BIOS file to USB stick, plug USB stick into computer, reboot system, hit "End" button during startup and select BIOS upgrade from HDD- you can find lots of videos on YouTube about that.

Many thanks for your help and support!

Looking forward,
                Przemek.

P.S. I wanted to edit my initial post to put solution there (to avoid going through full discussion to search the answer), but I can not do it...

Comment

Working...
                X