Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst Linux 12.6 Beta Has Arrived

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
    Exactly. It is not the GPU, it is the CPU that is 15-20C more heat. If you or your company can solve that I will stop complaining.
    Is it possible a GPU fan isn't running or the GPU is producing the extra heat, and just happens to show up on the CPU because of the way your machine is blowing it around?

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      Is it possible a GPU fan isn't running or the GPU is producing the extra heat, and just happens to show up on the CPU because of the way your machine is blowing it around?
      No, there is no extra fan for the GPU in this laptop.

      Comment


      • #33
        I have a laptop with 4670hd, I trid today last git radeon drivers with last xorg and last kernel. It works like a charm but it overheats a lot ! I also get 10 -15 degrees more even on idle ...

        And all of this even if I have tweaked my xorg and put the "low" profile for power management. I think these radeon drivers are just not ready for laptops. My battery time is half with radeon drivers compared to catalyst..

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Morgan00 View Post
          And all of this even if I have tweaked my xorg and put the "low" profile for power management. I think these radeon drivers are just not ready for laptops. My battery time is half with radeon drivers compared to catalyst..
          You can't set profiles in the xorg conf; are you sure you are following :

          http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/...gement_Options

          ie :

          - check to make sure the /sys paths mentioned below are present and tweak the commands if necessary
          - echo "profile" to /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method
          - echo "low" or "mid" to /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            You can't set profiles in the xorg conf; are you sure you are following :

            http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/...gement_Options

            ie :

            - check to make sure the /sys paths mentioned below are present and tweak the commands if necessary
            - echo "profile" to /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method
            - echo "low" or "mid" to /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
            just tell me why not just fix the dynamic automatic power managment in the radeon driver?

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
              just tell me why not just fix the dynamic automatic power managment in the radeon driver?
              It's just not THAT easy to do, is it? I hope that it will be taken care of when the RadeonSI driver is brought up to other Radeon drivers' level.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                You can't set profiles in the xorg conf; are you sure you are following :

                http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/...gement_Options

                ie :

                - check to make sure the /sys paths mentioned below are present and tweak the commands if necessary
                - echo "profile" to /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method
                - echo "low" or "mid" to /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
                That is what I do, use "low", but still only get an hour +, instead of two and a half with fglrx

                Comment


                • #38
                  same for me.. the clock rates is low according to "low profile" but it overheats still a lot..!

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Just checking...

                    When you guys talk about "overheating", do you actually mean the machine shuts down because the temp exceeds a threshold, or is the laptop simply hotter but otherwise functional?

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      no shutdown. but not really functionnal for a laptop which has (with FOSS driver) half time battery and 10-15 degrees Celcius more on idle than Catalyst driver :/

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X