Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst Linux 12.6 Beta Has Arrived

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Pre-HD5000"
    Driver "radeon"
    EndSection

    You're welcome!
    Trolololololololol i already use it.

    but better use:

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver "radeon"
    Option "ColorTiling" "1"
    Option "ColorTiling2D" "1"
    EndSection

    then you get colortiling to

    and :

    R600_GLSL130=1
    R600_STREAMOUT=0
    PCIE_GEN2=1


    in your .pam_environment file in your home dir.

    then you get PCIe2 and openGL3 to.

    Comment


    • #17
      I really wish my laptop didn't over heat and shut down using open source drivers....... This could stop my updating kernel and distro.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
        Trolololololololol i already use it.

        but better use:

        Section "Device"
        Identifier "Card0"
        Driver "radeon"
        Option "ColorTiling" "1"
        Option "ColorTiling2D" "1"
        EndSection

        then you get colortiling to

        and :

        R600_GLSL130=1
        R600_STREAMOUT=0
        PCIE_GEN2=1


        in your .pam_environment file in your home dir.

        then you get PCIe2 and openGL3 to.
        Thank you very much for that! I did not know that it was this easy to boost my GPU performance.
        Last edited by Hirager; 06-01-2012, 04:20 PM. Reason: typo

        Comment


        • #19
          Verified that weird crash on debian wheezy with xserver 1.12.0, 1.12.1, 1.12.1.902. As it was a beta, i want a 2nd one...

          Comment


          • #20
            I do own a HD 4870, no more supported.
            So, either AMD releases legacy driver to support from time to time newer releases of Xorg and minimal support or AMD doesn't support it anymore at all and as soon as I can't use my card i will buy a new one, but I will buy Nvidia.

            If no support at all is ever provided by AMD, then I will take years to even reconsider buying AMD again.

            Comment


            • #21
              it stil flickers on kwin
              back to xserver-xorg-video-radeon

              Comment


              • #22
                that really sucks, why didn't i pay extra 10-20 bucks for nvidia...

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
                  I really wish my laptop didn't over heat and shut down using open source drivers....... This could stop my updating kernel and distro.
                  Exactly the same here! powersaving/whatever_keeping_cool of the radeon driver is crap!

                  With catalyst I never get the CPU to more than 50C, but using the radeon driver... things change, and I start considering cooking on my laptop...

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
                    I really wish my laptop didn't over heat and shut down using open source drivers....... This could stop my updating kernel and distro.
                    Originally posted by Vighy
                    Exactly the same here! powersaving/whatever_keeping_cool of the radeon driver is crap!

                    With catalyst I never get the CPU to more than 50C, but using the radeon driver... things change, and I start considering cooking on my laptop...
                    I recently filed a bug report for that, may be you can contribute to the solution: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50327

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
                      I recently filed a bug report for that, may be you can contribute to the solution: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50327
                      Whoa, that's wierd. Looks like you're seeing the extra heat coming from the CPU not the GPU. That might explain why we're still hearing reports of overheating laptops even though there should be enough GPU power management in the driver already to prevent that (via profiles).

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Is there a direct contact at amd who is responsible for fglrx? i mean somebody like mtippett in the past? if there is somebody who followed him he should write in that forum as well, hiding in a corner does not make sense for me. is he(?) a man or a mouse?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Kano View Post
                          Is there a direct contact at amd who is responsible for fglrx? i mean somebody like mtippett in the past? if there is somebody who followed him he should write in that forum as well, hiding in a corner does not make sense for me. is he(?) a man or a mouse?
                          do you want another Bridgman? is like asking: "Do you want total war? Do you want it, if necessary, total and radical than we are today can even imagine the first place?"

                          Maybe he need an extra invitation to join the total phoronix forum war?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            well bridgman does not work on fglrx, but somebody most likely does...

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Kano View Post
                              well bridgman does not work on fglrx, but somebody most likely does...
                              sure but do you think this "woman" want to fight with us ?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                                Whoa, that's wierd. Looks like you're seeing the extra heat coming from the CPU not the GPU. That might explain why we're still hearing reports of overheating laptops even though there should be enough GPU power management in the driver already to prevent that (via profiles).
                                Exactly. It is not the GPU, it is the CPU that is 15-20C more heat. If you or your company can solve that I will stop complaining.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X