Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD To Drop Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 Catalyst Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • When you look back to 9-3 that was the last fglrx driver with r300-r500 support. But you can still get a win driver for those. Most likely because win does not change the abi so often fglrx is weird in several ways, the fglrx devs do not even add community patches to allow usage of newer kernels, no they just keep the same code forever and require externa patches. Dropping support for hardware that is still sold is just one example, there much more where fglrx does not shine. fglrx supports ubuntu releases, thats clear because ubuntu always gets prereleases where others distros do not get those. 8.96 is in precise, all others have to use 8.96 from the opencl preview, but that lacks some pci ids in the beloved /etc/ati/control file. i mentioned often enough that that those checks using the control file and the same hardcoded pci ids in aticonfig is complete nonsense but nobody ever wants to change that. amd only fixes things which they are forced by ubuntu and if somebody else has got ideas what could be improved -> just ignore it.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by locovaca View Post
      This is completely different than physically removing a driver from Catalyst. My read of that page is that Catalyst will support the 2k, 3k, and 4k series with the monthly driver release, but for months 2 and 3 there would be no changes for those particular cards. Should they continue the same model on Linux as Windows (which seems plausible given the sharing of code), there would be no change in the use of Catalyst other than the arms race for installing the latest driver once a month. And if they continue on Linux in this same regard, I would see no reason they wouldn't keep up with X.org/Kernel ABI updates. This smells like a lot of nothing.
      Actually, it is really simple. I asked the AMD Catalyst devs and they said they will NOT be updating to new kernels/xorg.

      Comment


      • Nice

        It will stop putting off newbies (and hinder adoption of GNU/Linux distros).
        At most forums, fglrx figures prominently in a large number threads started by newbies.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by amani View Post
          It will stop putting off newbies (and hinder adoption of GNU/Linux distros).
          At most forums, fglrx figures prominently in a large number threads started by newbies.
          There is a light of hope. Free driver is getting so good, that many "newbies" will never notice it.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Hirager View Post
            There is a light of hope. Free driver is getting so good, that many "newbies" will never notice it.
            Except when they get a popup asking if they would like to install a restricted driver for their graphics card... Question to Ubuntu based users - does ubuntu ask you if you want to install a restricted fglrx driver for your card if it won't actually work for the card you have? I.e. they do keep a DB of working/non-working cards for the current fglrx and the X.org & kernel for the current release?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
              Question to Ubuntu based users - does ubuntu ask you if you want to install a restricted fglrx driver for your card if it won't actually work for the card you have?
              Except Optimus case, in most other cases answer is "no".

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
                Except when they get a popup asking if they would like to install a restricted driver for their graphics card... Question to Ubuntu based users - does ubuntu ask you if you want to install a restricted fglrx driver for your card if it won't actually work for the card you have? I.e. they do keep a DB of working/non-working cards for the current fglrx and the X.org & kernel for the current release?
                Ubuntu does it? Oh, yes, I forgot - I ditched it so long ago...

                Comment


                • Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                  Except Optimus case, in most other cases answer is "no".
                  Most likely they will go down the same route the Nvidia drivers do. If an older driver is still "supported" by Ubuntu and your card will work with it it'll still be recommended, so as long as 12.7 or whatever runs on 12.04 it'll get recommended for installation.

                  Comment


                  • The official comment for win8 is nice too: win8 will ship with the last supported hd2-4k driver, no downloadable win8 driver will support those cards. Find a bug? Tough luck.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                      Its interesting every time I do not write the same mainstream stuff like any other the people blame me to not write the same stuff like any others do.

                      If you are not interested in different viewpoints or to be more specific in my viewpoint why not just put me on your ignore list ?

                      Your writing do not have any argument to support your claim that Iím stupid "Q. is in full throttle stupid mode" but you are free to prove it to me.
                      it is not about 'not mainstream stuff' but making up stupid shit, accusing others and smearing them. That is either:

                      extremely stupid
                      or
                      extremely evil.

                      So, you are not stupid but an evil bastard sailing close to a criminal offense?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                        Except Optimus case, in most other cases answer is "no".
                        They finally fixed that in 12.04. Jockey does not offer Nvidia binary on Optimus if intel driver is loaded.

                        Comment


                        • IIRC 11.10 did that already (11.04 didn't yet) but I don't have Optimus hardware here to confirm it.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by curaga View Post
                            The official comment for win8 is nice too: win8 will ship with the last supported hd2-4k driver, no downloadable win8 driver will support those cards. Find a bug? Tough luck.
                            Which is pretty annoying, since there is very little reason to upgrade from a 4850. This card can still handle the latest games marvelously, so it's forced obsoletion of the most cynical kind.

                            Good work, AMD, annoy your most loyal customers. That's the way to go.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by curaga View Post
                              The official comment for win8 is nice too: win8 will ship with the last supported hd2-4k driver, no downloadable win8 driver will support those cards. Find a bug? Tough luck.
                              the bug is if there is only a built in driver and no download driver then you don't get openGL support because the build in driver only support directX and not openGL.... very sad!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                                Which is pretty annoying, since there is very little reason to upgrade from a 4850. This card can still handle the latest games marvelously, so it's forced obsoletion of the most cynical kind.

                                Good work, AMD, annoy your most loyal customers. That's the way to go.
                                What the heck did I miss? The 4850 isn't broken by the default driver, there simply are not any more updates. Where's your list of killer bugs that are still outstanding for the 4000 series driver?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X