X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• real fglrx 12.3 released

for download:
    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/am...x86.x86_64.run

discuss, fight and insult each other in the next posts!

Didn't have a problem with Catalyst 12.2, don't have a problem with Catalyst 12.4 beta on Ubuntu 12.04 with my new ThinkPad X121e, so I wouldn't expect problems with this one either.

Comment

Does it support Xorg 1.12?

Comment

Tried them: same problems as others on my notebook. I am yet unable to use the discrete gpu (HD 5650); gnome shell crashes evey 10 minutes (after some crashes, it freezes definitely); poor performance on Gnome Shell and Unity3D. No problems on KDE.

Comment

Does this support the HD7850?

Comment

Originally posted by v4mpiro View Post
            Tried them: same problems as others on my notebook. I am yet unable to use the discrete gpu (HD 5650); gnome shell crashes evey 10 minutes (after some crashes, it freezes definitely); poor performance on Gnome Shell and Unity3D. No problems on KDE.
            Compiz/Unity3D performance problems are fixed with Ubuntu 12.04. It fucking flies.

Comment

Nice to hear that. I hope it will be support for double gpu too!

Comment

If this doesn't support the 7850 I'll have to go return this and buy NVidia.

Comment

working great in debian squeeze with gnome and compiz. mobility 4650 here.

Comment

Originally posted by slimg00dy View Post
                    If this doesn't support the 7850 I'll have to go return this and buy NVidia.
                    Actually if this doesn't work you should wait for the driver I mentioned to get posted. I don't think this is it.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      Actually if this doesn't work you should wait for the driver I mentioned to get posted. I don't think this is it.
                      I really hope this driver is that you mentioned comes out soon, its running on 1+ week behind the release. Also I hope it suits my needs obviously. I'll wait patiently for now but please expect me to ask the question "does this support the 7850" upon future fglrx and catalyst releases.

Comment

OK, I just heard back from CatalystCreator -- looks like Cat 12.3 *is* 8.951 so that should work for you.

Comment

Awesome!!!!! Thank you!!! I'll test this out tonight.

Comment

@bridgman - you look like someone who has contact with Linux Catalyst team.
                            Can you tell Linux Catalyst team to drop XvBA completely and provide driver for VDPAU api? XvBA is dead. Nobody except XBMC uses it. And on XBMC XvBA causes problems.

Here are benefits of dropping XvBA and implementing VDPAU driver:
                            Immediate software benefits 'out of the box':
                            + Adobe flash acceleration
                            + acceleration in almost every Linux video player
                            + nobody uses XvBA so nobody will cry for it when it disappears
                            + XvBA hurts Linux. Do not hurt Linux please. Adobe flash developers told this on their flash blog: on Windows we have one video API: DXVA so we implemented it in flash. On Linux with have thicket of video APIs: VDPAU, vaapi, XvBA. So we will not implement video acceleration on Linux at all.
                            Eventually after community pressure they implemented VDPAU which is the only api which actually is mature and works.

AMD Workforce savings:
                            + Catalyst Linux developers can concentrate on developing only Radeon driver for VDPAU - not whole XvBA api and its documentation. It is better to provide working vdpau driver and have immediate use in many players and Adobe flash than providing broken and limited, badly documented proprietary XvBA api and broken driver for it which means AMD does not exist on Linux as a video accelerator.
                            + S3 Graphics company (VIA GPU division) implemented vdpau for its Chrome video cards to gain all the benefits described here. If small and unpopular S3 could have done this why big AMD can not?
                            + if open source community was able to do galliumm vdpau acceleration for Radeon using shaders why paid developers at AMD can not do this for uvd where most of work is already done in hardware.

Legal benefits:
                            + vdpau api/library is LGPL licensed
                            + whole source code of vdpau library is freely downloadable including documentation and debug libraries for driver developers.
                            + vdpau is NOT proprietary - Nvidia wants every GPU designer to use it - especially AMD and Intel. Even in publicly available vdpau api documentation libvdpau_ati.so.1 and libvdpau_intel.so.1 are mentioned as examples. They developed and gave you vdpau for free - why not just use it when the most of work was already done?

Sources:
                            vdpau programming:
                            ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/vd...tml/index.html
                            here Nvidia says about libvdpau_ati.so.1 and libvdpau_intel.so.1:
                            ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/vd...nsys__x11.html
                            Here is vdpau wiki which says everything:
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU
                            Adobe says - too many video APIs - video APIs thicket on Linux:
                            http://blogs.adobe.com/penguinswf/20...e_thicket.html
                            Last edited by zbiggy; 03-28-2012, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slimg00dy View Post
                              Awesome!!!!! Thank you!!! I'll test this out tonight.
                              Strange, I was expecting you tested before complaining...

Comment

Working...
                              X