Early AMD Catalyst 12.3 Linux Drivers Seep Out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by devius View Post
    I'm an AMD fan since the golden Athlon days, but I have to agree with zbiggy on his assessment. On top of all those points I'd still like to add that the quality of the desktop experience is much worse with Radeons than it is either with Intel or nVidia gpus. In fact, the composited desktop experience (smoothness, responsiveness, number of rendering bugs) with Radeons is similar or worse to what you get on a measly 1st gen Atom netbook with it's crappy GMA950 gpu. This is when using either open source drivers or fglrx.
    I can't spill the beans, but I have to urge you to wait a month before making your final determination on Catalyst.... something extremely interesting may or may not be in testing right now.

Comment

@DanL We talk here about Catalyst for Linux. Not open source driver. With Catalyst OpenGL2 is not available when compositing is on according to KDE developer's blog who is responsible for graphics.

xvba: xbmc is only one application and only h.264 and vc-1 are supported. Not much.
      Open source driver uses shaders for decoding which increases heat and power consumption. UVD is left unused. So uvd/xvba are dead parts of silicon on Linux only wasting power.

ATI always had bad drivers. Now situation improves on Windows but Linux support is only slight better than before. AMD gained better drivers by publishing docs. When Nvidia presented vdpau first time gave to community open source vdpau library, docs and patches to ffmpeg and mplayer for instant use. AMD made from XvBA secret by silently introducing additional xvba files which discovered and described Michael from Phoronix. Then AMD said that hackers will hack this api easily and provide support for players. This was crazy. This way AMD lost battle for being dominant video api on Linux. Nvidia won and Intel took second place.

Direct2d is another AMD attempt to accelerate Linux but this M$ api does not fit to Linux. Nvidia wins again by taking different approach: they have universal core, with acceleration of everything and thin layers between core and os no matter if it is solaris/linux/bsd or windows. Nvidia knows that no matter what os is used all users want the same:OpenGL/accelerated video and 2D/power management. AMD again goes silly way: make driver for Windows and try to port it to Linux in spare time.

Comment

Originally posted by zbiggy View Post
        Direct2d is another AMD attempt to accelerate Linux but this M$ api does not fit to Linux. Nvidia wins again by taking different approach: they have universal core, with acceleration of everything and thin layers between core and os no matter if it is solaris/linux/bsd or windows. Nvidia knows that no matter what os is used all users want the same:OpenGL/accelerated video and 2D/power management. AMD again goes silly way: make driver for Windows and try to port it to Linux in spare time.
        We re-used the Direct2D switch variable (controlled by a registry key in Windows and an amdpcsdb key in Linux), not the actual acceleration code. The APIs are really different.

After people started getting excited that we were supporting Direct2D (which we weren't) we changed to a different switch name to avoid confusion.

This has been explained a few times already.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
          I'd still like to add that the quality of the desktop experience is much worse with Radeons than it is either with Intel or nVidia gpus. In fact, the composited desktop experience (smoothness, responsiveness, number of rendering bugs) with Radeons is similar or worse to what you get on a measly 1st gen Atom netbook with it's crappy GMA950 gpu. This is when using either open source drivers or fglrx.
          This might have been true at some point. But now, I compared same instance of Archlinux + KDE 4.7 with full compositing on a radeon HD5770 and an NVidia 240. Both with blobs. The NV sucks! You can't resize a window. It's slow as hell. Radeon flies through tho. I also tested with Nvidia 440, Ati 4650, HD3000. ATIs were superior with both, the blob and the open source drivers.

Don't think that the NVidia blob is perfect. I sold my NVidia and got me an ATI. I had issues with switching VTs, dual screen etc. At least I know, if the blob sucks, I can use the open source drivers, and they will preform great.

Comment

Originally posted by zbiggy View Post
            @DanL We talk here about Catalyst for Linux. Not open source driver. With Catalyst OpenGL2 is not available when compositing is on according to KDE developer's blog who is responsible for graphics..
            It's possible to force it if you want the kind of glitches that GNOME Shell users are experiencing. Plus the driver crashes if you try to run two apps that want direct rendering at once.

Comment

Did they fix the input lag when using vsync in games? If not, when will they fix it?

Comment

Look here if you get the Unsupported Hardware or Testing Only watermarks.

Comment

They're unstable to the point of crashing the X server randomly when something tries to create an OpenGL context.

Comment

has XvBA support improved in this version?

The only OpenGL apps that I use is XBMC and kwin. And unfortunately
                    XBMC with xvba msupport currently cannot play H264 video with profile > 4.1.

Comment

"currently" - hahahaha

Comment

Hey Kano, don`t make fun of the h264 issue :-)
                        Btw. Any news on your HD5XXX hardware trying the new xvba release with 12.4 beta?

Bump for the bugtracker: http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=448

Comment

Well, I've good news for those having flash full-screen problems. It seems Catalyst 11.4 (OpenCL beta) solves the problem of stuttering in Full-Screen flash videos. Tested with a HD4650 AGP + Opera + KDE4. The only problem some people will have with this driver is the watermark. I had to replace /etc/ati/control and /etc/ati/signature files after a clean installation of Catalyst 11.4 beta, in order to remove the watermark.

Cheers
                          Last edited by evolution; 03-26-2012, 04:43 PM. Reason: missing text

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                            "currently" - hahahaha
                            Well, one could always wish. I'm stuck because my liux XBMC player is installed on a laptop
                            (for low power consumption + noice, and fast booting).
                            And my latop uses an AMD HD 4200 graphic cards .

Do you know if there is a way to add NVIDIA (or any better supported media video chip)
                            to the laptop?

Comment

Wow these "12.4" drivers rock! They fix every problem I had with fglrx. They are stable they are fast zoom,zoom. But back to my old set of drivers as I cannot stand the watermark.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
                                Wow these "12.4" drivers rock! They fix every problem I had with fglrx. They are stable they are fast zoom,zoom. But back to my old set of drivers as I cannot stand the watermark.
                                DUDE! Didn't you read the earlier posts in this topic?!

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...Only-Watermark

Just Do It!

Comment

Working...
                                X