Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goodbye ATI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #51
    @sabriah

    If you really run fglrx you can certainly show me how you use skype with xserver 1.11 + fglrx.

    Comment


    • #52
      Originally posted by Kano View Post
      ...how you use skype with xserver 1.11 + fglrx.
      IMHO AMD shouldn't waste development resources to support proprietary Microsoft crap programs under Linux
      Mumble is a good free and open alternative to this.

      Comment


      • #53
        Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
        IMHO AMD shouldn't waste development resources to support proprietary Microsoft crap programs under Linux
        Mumble is a good free and open alternative to this.
        No, it is not. Mumble is not a P2P VoiP solution. Mumble and Skype are vastly different from each other and have different purposes and uses.

        Comment


        • #54
          Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
          IMHO AMD shouldn't waste development resources to support proprietary Microsoft crap programs under Linux
          Mumble is a good free and open alternative to this.
          Application type does not matter, so long it is using standartized libraries and calls.

          Skype is widely used for corporate communications (donīt ask), primary because its easy to work with.
          So, if MS drops Skype (edit: I mean from linux, linux version support), some companies will switch to Ekiga, xmpp voip and similar.
          Last edited by crazycheese; 02-08-2012, 06:47 AM.

          Comment


          • #55
            Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            No, it is not. Mumble is not a P2P VoiP solution. Mumble and Skype are vastly different from each other and have different purposes and uses.
            fair enough! But then he could still use his phone... [/ironymode]

            thanks for clarifying.

            Comment


            • #56
              Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
              IMHO AMD shouldn't waste development resources to support proprietary Microsoft crap programs under Linux
              That's one of the biggest problems with Linux fanboys. You can't have 2% market share on desktops and act like the rest of the world doesn't exist because it's closed source.
              And any manufacturer should bend over backwards to support stuff people use.

              Comment


              • #57
                Originally posted by Kano View Post
                @sabriah

                If you really run fglrx you can certainly show me how you use skype with xserver 1.11 + fglrx.
                nothing special i do have a customer with radeon driver and catalyst driver and they wonder why they can't use some software with the catalyst.
                he do have a ipod and use kubuntu but he can not open the musik software Banshee to manage his ipod musik because of the Catalyst.
                on the other pc with the radeon driver it works well...

                in fact the catalyst is just a waste of money!..

                Comment


                • #58
                  Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  That's one of the biggest problems with Linux fanboys. You can't have 2% market share on desktops and act like the rest of the world doesn't exist because it's closed source.
                  And any manufacturer should bend over backwards to support stuff people use.
                  Linux fanboys have nothing to do with it. You sure mean opensource purists.
                  While opensource IS good, I personally have no problem with closed source as long as it fills ALL of above:
                  [x] supported (incl. bugs and security)
                  [x] known not to have malware or spyware
                  [x] does not impose or represent itself as a standard protocol
                  [x] has free alternative (no matter with what feature difference)

                  For example, if I use inkscape and other guy coreldraw, and if we can both exchange SVGs - I have no problem with coreldraw.

                  Comment


                  • #59
                    Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                    ...musik software Banshee...
                    Kill it with fire!!!

                    Comment


                    • #60
                      Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                      Kill it with fire!!!
                      i don't use it... and i don't buy apple products but he need it for his ipod.

                      but catalyst makes it imposable

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X