Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goodbye ATI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New radeon7970 has FMA replacing old Vector Vliw5 with new scalar arch. Radeon7970 is only 20% faster than gtx580 and less programmable, what to do against ftx600(2,5x faster). Tessellation is a control engine, not an execution unit, the main program runs on shaders, more flops=more speed. Many GB-ram has nothing to do with speed. And radeon does not work on Linux.

    Comment


    • And a Radeon7970 has 1.1ghz maximum clock not 1.4ghz. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/AMD-Ra...ews-37352.html

      Comment


      • Originally posted by artivision View Post
        And a Radeon7970 has 1.1ghz maximum clock not 1.4ghz. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/AMD-Ra...ews-37352.html
        Guinness book of records count 1,4ghz.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by artivision View Post
          New radeon7970 has FMA replacing old Vector Vliw5 with new scalar arch. Radeon7970 is only 20% faster than gtx580 and less programmable, what to do against ftx600(2,5x faster). Tessellation is a control engine, not an execution unit, the main program runs on shaders, more flops=more speed. Many GB-ram has nothing to do with speed. And radeon does not work on Linux.
          "Many GB-ram has nothing to do with speed. "

          its a bottle neck on high resolutions and Super sampling AA

          "And radeon does not work on Linux."

          well this depends how you count i only count open-source drivers.

          "Radeon7970 is only 20% faster than gtx580"

          if you overclock both the gtx680 and the hd7970 then the radeon wins

          Comment


          • I don't count open source drivers because they don't exist, even the gallium r600 driver has closed firmware. About 1.4ghz radeon, that was with ice cooling, the true maximum clock is 1.1ghz: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/AMD-Ra...ews-37352.html Radeon7970 is only 20% faster than gtx580: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/gra...c_6.html#sect3 The end gtx600 specs are 1536(64bit) cores @1.8+ghz, in 28nm, 3.5Btrans, 200+-w: http://www.techpowerup.com/162500/GK...Explained.html and http://www.techpowerup.com/162504/NV...-Detailed.html How a card 3.6x faster than gtx580 and 3x faster than radeon7970 will lose to someone? Even the 1/3cores 130box mini Kepler will be magnificent!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by artivision View Post
              I don't count open source drivers because they don't exist, even the gallium r600 driver has closed firmware. About 1.4ghz radeon, that was with ice cooling, the true maximum clock is 1.1ghz: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/AMD-Ra...ews-37352.html Radeon7970 is only 20% faster than gtx580: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/gra...c_6.html#sect3 The end gtx600 specs are 1536(64bit) cores @1.8+ghz, in 28nm, 3.5Btrans, 200+-w: http://www.techpowerup.com/162500/GK...Explained.html and http://www.techpowerup.com/162504/NV...-Detailed.html How a card 3.6x faster than gtx580 and 3x faster than radeon7970 will lose to someone? Even the 1/3cores 130box mini Kepler will be magnificent!
              Nouveau has free and open source firmware. They asked Nvidia if they could distribute theirs and Nvidia said no, so the Nouveau project came up with their own.

              I guess it's an odd example of a company being openly hostile to free and open source software where some good came out of it.

              I doubt we'll ever be able to use most of our devices without blob firmware. Sometimes it's hard to convince a company to allow their blobs to be redistributed. So many distributions like Debian and Fedora give up and try to rationalize blob firmware as being somehow different than proprietary software so that they can look like they are not violating their own policies.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by artivision View Post
                I don't count open source drivers because they don't exist, even the gallium r600 driver has closed firmware. About 1.4ghz radeon, that was with ice cooling, the true maximum clock is 1.1ghz: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/AMD-Ra...ews-37352.html Radeon7970 is only 20% faster than gtx580: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/gra...c_6.html#sect3 The end gtx600 specs are 1536(64bit) cores @1.8+ghz, in 28nm, 3.5Btrans, 200+-w: http://www.techpowerup.com/162500/GK...Explained.html and http://www.techpowerup.com/162504/NV...-Detailed.html How a card 3.6x faster than gtx580 and 3x faster than radeon7970 will lose to someone? Even the 1/3cores 130box mini Kepler will be magnificent!
                "About 1.4ghz radeon, that was with ice cooling, the true maximum clock is 1.1ghz:"

                LOL if the card run 1,4ghz on ice then the true maximum clock is 1,4ghz.

                everyone can buy a refrigerator for his card. a friend of my use a Beer-continuous-refrigerator for his Water cooling system and he don't use water he use Glycol so he run on -27C

                "will lose to someone?"

                sure nvidia will lose because : hd7990- 12gb vram then you buy a "beer cooler by running" for your water cooling system and then you overclock it

                Comment


                • Hardware is worth nothing if the drivers suck

                  Comment


                  • That goes both ways, drivers are worth nothing if the hardware sucks

                    Comment


                    • Indeed. Good thing the hardware doesn't suck ;-)

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X