Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goodbye ATI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    That's one of the biggest problems with Linux fanboys. You can't have 2% market share on desktops and act like the rest of the world doesn't exist because it's closed source.
    And any manufacturer should bend over backwards to support stuff people use.
    Linux fanboys? I'm a GNU/Linux user and i'm a free software advocate, microsoft isn't even in competition with GNU as the software that they produce is closed and therefore unethical

    so 'the rest of the world' is of no consequence to me and shouldn't be to anyone who understands the ethical development of software, this is not fanboy-ism

    Comment


    • fglrx works fine for me with my Radeon HD 2400 PRO AGP even with xvba as does my Radeon HD 4650 even with 'high end games'

      I've had many nvidia cards and used the nvidia blob with all of them and they worked pretty well too

      the problem ( as far as i can see ) is the difference between what AMD's idea of opengl is and what nvidia's idea of what opengl is.. I'm assuming this is why nvidia cards work better with wine as most of the wined3d development has been done using nvidia

      anyway i'm switching to the free AMD driver very soon as vdpau is close to working properly

      Comment


      • Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        What tech does AMD have that does what Optimus should do?
        it's called PowerXPress. It's supposed to work in Catalyst 12.1: Some Good News for AMD 6700M HD / Intel Owners

        Comment


        • Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          [list]
          Now to the bad stuff:

          [list][*]I lost my 1920x1080 framebuffer console. It seems that NVidia only supports up to 1280x1024 for the framebuffer?
          Check this out. It may still be possible to set a 1920x1080 framebuffer, but performance might be very low (something with nvidia not supporting high-res vesa modes natively or whatever).


          [*]Power management through "Powermizer" is way too aggressive. The card clocks down to 50Mhz (!!) when it's idle for a bit, but is not quick enough to clock the card back up again, resulting in jerky animations in the desktop. And sometimes it doesn't want to power-up again at all unless I run an OpenGL application. The way to fix that is by introducing custom Powermizer policies in xorg.conf, which is not very user friendly and looks like an annoying bug to me.
          That's by design and, sadly, there's no solution without increasing power consumption. Three workarounds: connect a second monitor (the lowest pm will be disabled), flash different clocks to the video bios or use a custom pm policy.

          Interestingly, Win7 works smoothly even on the lowest pm mode. More optimized drivers or more efficient compositor, maybe?

          [*]As mentioned above, VDPAU has a problem in windowed mode. Anyone knows what's going on with that?
          VDPAU tends to work ok, but it's always had some rough corners. This is one.

          I'd actually advise disabling it for windowed applications, provided your CPU is fast enough. It's great for fullscreen apps though.

          [*]Flash says it uses the GPU for decoding, but not for the actual rendering. Is there a way to tell Flash to use Xv/OpenGL/whatever to display the video?
          Not anymore, sorry.

          Flash uses pure software rendering as of 11.2, with no way to enable hardware rendering. Previous versions had a toggleable setting in /etc/adobe/mms.cfg

          (Edit: I've actually removed flash completely on my netbook, as its CPU can't handle software rendering. HTML5 video is significantly faster there!)

          Comment


          • Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            Check this out. It may still be possible to set a 1920x1080 framebuffer, but performance might be very low (something with nvidia not supporting high-res vesa modes natively or whatever).
            "hwinfo --framebuffer" segfaults. Can someone with a GTX 500 series card could run this and post the output here?

            Comment


            • This is a GTX 570.

              Code:
              02: None 00.0: 11001 VESA Framebuffer                           
                [Created at bios.464]
                Unique ID: rdCR.eZY0VDzmRI8
                Hardware Class: framebuffer
                Model: "NVIDIA GF110 Board - 12610005"
                Vendor: "NVIDIA Corporation"
                Device: "GF110 Board - 12610005"
                SubVendor: "NVIDIA"
                SubDevice: 
                Revision: "Chip Rev"
                Memory Size: 14 MB
                Memory Range: 0xef000000-0xefdfffff (rw)
                Mode 0x0300: 640x400 (+640), 8 bits
                Mode 0x0301: 640x480 (+640), 8 bits
                Mode 0x0303: 800x600 (+800), 8 bits
                Mode 0x0305: 1024x768 (+1024), 8 bits
                Mode 0x0307: 1280x1024 (+1280), 8 bits
                Mode 0x030e: 320x200 (+640), 16 bits
                Mode 0x030f: 320x200 (+1280), 24 bits
                Mode 0x0311: 640x480 (+1280), 16 bits
                Mode 0x0312: 640x480 (+2560), 24 bits
                Mode 0x0314: 800x600 (+1600), 16 bits
                Mode 0x0315: 800x600 (+3200), 24 bits
                Mode 0x0317: 1024x768 (+2048), 16 bits
                Mode 0x0318: 1024x768 (+4096), 24 bits
                Mode 0x031a: 1280x1024 (+2560), 16 bits
                Mode 0x031b: 1280x1024 (+5120), 24 bits
                Mode 0x0330: 320x200 (+320), 8 bits
                Mode 0x0331: 320x400 (+320), 8 bits
                Mode 0x0332: 320x400 (+640), 16 bits
                Mode 0x0333: 320x400 (+1280), 24 bits
                Mode 0x0334: 320x240 (+320), 8 bits
                Mode 0x0335: 320x240 (+640), 16 bits
                Mode 0x0336: 320x240 (+1280), 24 bits
                Mode 0x033d: 640x400 (+1280), 16 bits
                Mode 0x033e: 640x400 (+2560), 24 bits
                Mode 0x0345: 1600x1200 (+1600), 8 bits
                Mode 0x0346: 1600x1200 (+3200), 16 bits
                Mode 0x034a: 1600x1200 (+6400), 24 bits
                Mode 0x0360: 1280x800 (+1280), 8 bits
                Mode 0x0361: 1280x800 (+5120), 24 bits
                Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

              Comment


              • Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                Flash uses pure software rendering as of 11.2, with no way to enable hardware rendering. Previous versions had a toggleable setting in /etc/adobe/mms.cfg

                (Edit: I've actually removed flash completely on my netbook, as its CPU can't handle software rendering. HTML5 video is significantly faster there!)
                i do the same and my system is a quatcore 3,8ghz...

                flash is more a disease...

                Comment


                • @BlackStar

                  In my own tests: flash 11.2 (beta) has got acc rendering and decode, but 11.1 does only use acc decode. Are you really sure you talk about 11.2? But i do not really like acc rendering as this results in some "bad" lines at the button of a video, i prefer usually 11.1. On win you have got always acc rendering+decode (you can disable both but not one of it) and the same rendering problems - using dxva2 on ati as well i think. Best is to watch some of the 1080p movies like elephants dream or sintel and look at the lowest 16 lines or so.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    This is a GTX 570.

                    Code:
                    02: None 00.0: 11001 VESA Framebuffer                           
                      [Created at bios.464]
                      Unique ID: rdCR.eZY0VDzmRI8
                      Hardware Class: framebuffer
                      Model: "NVIDIA GF110 Board - 12610005"
                      Vendor: "NVIDIA Corporation"
                      Device: "GF110 Board - 12610005"
                      SubVendor: "NVIDIA"
                      SubDevice: 
                      Revision: "Chip Rev"
                      Memory Size: 14 MB
                      Memory Range: 0xef000000-0xefdfffff (rw)
                      Mode 0x0300: 640x400 (+640), 8 bits
                      Mode 0x0301: 640x480 (+640), 8 bits
                      Mode 0x0303: 800x600 (+800), 8 bits
                      Mode 0x0305: 1024x768 (+1024), 8 bits
                      Mode 0x0307: 1280x1024 (+1280), 8 bits
                      Mode 0x030e: 320x200 (+640), 16 bits
                      Mode 0x030f: 320x200 (+1280), 24 bits
                      Mode 0x0311: 640x480 (+1280), 16 bits
                      Mode 0x0312: 640x480 (+2560), 24 bits
                      Mode 0x0314: 800x600 (+1600), 16 bits
                      Mode 0x0315: 800x600 (+3200), 24 bits
                      Mode 0x0317: 1024x768 (+2048), 16 bits
                      Mode 0x0318: 1024x768 (+4096), 24 bits
                      Mode 0x031a: 1280x1024 (+2560), 16 bits
                      Mode 0x031b: 1280x1024 (+5120), 24 bits
                      Mode 0x0330: 320x200 (+320), 8 bits
                      Mode 0x0331: 320x400 (+320), 8 bits
                      Mode 0x0332: 320x400 (+640), 16 bits
                      Mode 0x0333: 320x400 (+1280), 24 bits
                      Mode 0x0334: 320x240 (+320), 8 bits
                      Mode 0x0335: 320x240 (+640), 16 bits
                      Mode 0x0336: 320x240 (+1280), 24 bits
                      Mode 0x033d: 640x400 (+1280), 16 bits
                      Mode 0x033e: 640x400 (+2560), 24 bits
                      Mode 0x0345: 1600x1200 (+1600), 8 bits
                      Mode 0x0346: 1600x1200 (+3200), 16 bits
                      Mode 0x034a: 1600x1200 (+6400), 24 bits
                      Mode 0x0360: 1280x800 (+1280), 8 bits
                      Mode 0x0361: 1280x800 (+5120), 24 bits
                      Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
                    Thanks. I've now got hwinfo to work here too (I manually updated to version 19.0; Gentoo only provides an outdated 18.5 version which segfaults.) The highest mode it prints here on the 560 Ti is 1280x1024. So I'm out of luck I guess.
                    Last edited by RealNC; 02-12-2012, 12:52 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      @BlackStar

                      In my own tests: flash 11.2 (beta) has got acc rendering and decode, but 11.1 does only use acc decode. Are you really sure you talk about 11.2? But i do not really like acc rendering as this results in some "bad" lines at the button of a video, i prefer usually 11.1.
                      I just tried 11.2 (didn't know about this beta, I was using 11.1). Accelerated rendering works and there's no tearing in fullscreen, but the colors are wrong. For example in this video:

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py_IndUbcxc

                      The faces of people are blue and look like smurfs. Disabling "hardware acceleration" in Flash fixes this, but then of course there's tearing again in fullscreen.

                      Hopefully Adobe will fix this, since this Flash version looks very promising. But the Adobe devs are morons, so don't get your hopes up. There is a bug about it:

                      https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?...bug&id=3077076

                      But as always, the Adobe devs close Linux bugs as WORKSFORMESOSCREWYOUGOUSEWINDOWS.
                      Last edited by RealNC; 02-12-2012, 01:08 PM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X