No announcement yet.

Ubunty Gutsy Tribe 3 fglrx problem / Asus M2A-VM HDMI

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubunty Gutsy Tribe 3 fglrx problem / Asus M2A-VM HDMI

I previously ran Fedora Core 6 with an ATI gfx and i know there is some trouble with the ATI driver on linux, but i upgraded my computer to Asus M2A-VM HDMI motherboard, with an on board Radeon X1250, i couldn't get Fedora 7 to run the fglrx driver, but neither couldn't i get it to work on my old system, with an 9600XT, so i thought i want to try Ubuntu, it worked fine with 2GB ram. Maybe i have to mention i have 4GB ram so i have to run 64Bit, and i had some trouble to get it to work because a problem in the SB600 chipset that said, that the sata controller could run 64Bit, when i couldn't. But anyways i couldn't get Feisty to run with the kernel have fixed the sata problem) with the fglrx driver, it just turned into black screen when it should show the login screen, so i thought it could be a problem with the ubuntu restricted modules, so i upgraded to Gutsy (i know it is still an alpha) and i worked 1 time, after an reboot it didn't work with the kernel it installed 2.6.22-8 i just got black screen again. så it didn't help, but when i boot with i works fine, but without Direct Rendering, or it almost work fine, after the last reboots it began to flicker the screen sometimes.
    Hope someone have a solution.

(Sorry for my bad English, if there is something you want to get explained, so say so)

Rasmus Pedersen

I'm not familiar with ATI or Gutsy (yet), but have you tried just upgrading the fglrx module instead of using the ones included in the restrcted modules package? There may be a more recent version available that hasn't made it into the repositories.

I've downloaded the driver from ATI and build the package for gutsy, installed it, build and installed the kernel module, restarted X and i got black screen and i can't switch to console or nothing it's just freezes. And no errors in Xorg.0.log it just stops after "[DRI] installation complete"

If i disable the DRI module in my xorg.conf i can login to X. But then it uses the Mesa driver. so i suspect there it has something to do with the DRI module.

BTW. it was exactly the same thing that happened in Feisty

I have similar experience with ASUS M2A-VM and UBUNTU 7.04. I checked the ATI accelerated graphic driver in Restricted Drivers Manager. After reboot I have got a black screen. I returned to VESA in rescue mode.
        The next time I checked the ATI driver and then run these two commands:
        sudo aticonfig --initial
        sudo aticonfig --overlay-type=Xv
        These time it worked OK after reboot.

I found the solution at this link:

The instructions are really interesting to read, but I would never follow em Worth to mention that the aticonfig tool does not really write beautyful xorg.conf files. I prefer sed/perl expressions to write the correct options. I added Ubuntu support to my fglrx script a while ago - at that time the only way to use the ati-installer on newer Ubuntu systems with dash as default was to change the symlink to bash. I fixed the installer on the fly... Lateyly I added autochangeing of the sources.list as I require module-assistant from universe - the script is so generic that it does not only work on Kanotix, but on Debian and Ubuntu too. And maybe on others which are compatible. What I don't like on Ubuntu is that there is no way to boot the live cd in a "nice" way without starting X. Only the stupid single user mode workaround can be used - and i have a gfx card that will not work with ati or vesa driver. Next time you can just run this:

As the latest drivers do not always work, you can specify any older (basically newer too) release with -v option like

sudo sh -v 8.39.4

Login into vt1 (ctrl-alt-f1) to execute script. What is not supported is the mixed use of the Ubuntu restricted modules package and this script. Best never touch it...

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            Next time you can just run this:

I registered just to say thanks. You're the best man. This post saved me huge headaches.

motherboard and 4gb of memory

It's the motherboard's inability to properly do IO when it has 4gb of memory. I was pulling my hair out trying to make the ati video driver work, then when I tried to switch Linuxes, I couldn't see the SATA drive.

I noticed an article about the SATA driver couldn't do DMA properly above a certain memory address when there was 4gb of memory. I pulled 2 dimms and everything works.

I made a support ticket with ASUS about this.

I use Fiesty 7.04 Xubuntu 64-bit on Biostar 690G motherboard with 2GB RAM and have no problems at all.
                Using only Fiesty fglrx inside distribution and works

Yes, I tried Gutsy and I want to say:
                Don`t!. it is testing version for developers only,
                use 7.04 for everyday use.