Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 11.11 Brings Critical Linux Changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    I need a little help getting this or any other FGLRX driver to work on my system.
    HP ProBook 4530s with Intel Sandy Bridge + ATI HD6490 card
    Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
    Problem is that, after I install drivers and do "aticonfig --initial -f" and reboot, Xserver is not starting (segfault). Here is Xorg.0.log: http://pastebin.com/hsnCw47g

    This setup worked good on pre-installed OEM SLED 11, but it doesn't work on Ubuntu.

    Comment


    • #42
      Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Simple - the two drivers are focusing on different users and prioritizing different requirements. If you're a 3D workstation user the open source drivers probably don't do what you want, but Catalyst probably does. If you're looking for smooth integration with upstream development, the open source drivers are probably what you want.
      only apologies and excuses!

      if the opensource driver don't do what you want you only use the wrong "workstation" software!

      well Maya,3dmax and Catia don't run well then its the fault from 3dmax and CATIA.

      the people should just quit in using this shit and they should start using "Blender"

      and yes "Blender" works well with the Open-source drivers.

      and if "Blender" don't do the 3D CAD work then they should start a similar open-source project.

      I vote for making Maya,3dmax,CATIA against the law! I also Vote for making FireGL and Quatro against the LAW!

      no more apologies and excuses!

      Comment


      • #43
        Originally posted by Kano View Post
        @paproch

        was it a xv only problem or did it crash with gl output as well?
        Smplayer default set is xv and I used other options and result was the same.I'll try to use mplayer command line today evening.

        Comment


        • #44
          @Kano
          Originally posted by paproch View Post
          Smplayer default set is xv and I used other options and result was the same.I'll try to use mplayer command line today evening.
          This is xv issue.

          @Milos_SD
          Try to install newer ver xorg-server 1.11.x and meta package xorg-x11 with dependency.
          Last edited by paproch; 11-17-2011, 04:46 PM.

          Comment


          • #45
            Originally posted by paproch View Post
            @Milos_SD
            Try to install newer ver xorg-server 1.11.x and meta package xorg-x11 with dependency.
            I tried that, same problem. I talked with Alberto Milone on freenode, and he sad that he will look into it. He didn't updated scripts for PowerXpress alternatives to work with multilib. He thinks, maybe that is the the problem here. Let's wait for him to fix that, and upload new packages and see if that will fix this problem I'm having.

            Comment


            • #46
              Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
              well Maya,3dmax and Catia don't run well then its the fault from 3dmax and CATIA.

              the people should just quit in using this shit and they should start using "Blender"
              CATIA is not in the same category as 3DS/Blender. The only shared facet is that CATIA works with three-dimensional models. The similarities in use and functionality end there.

              While your opinion regarding Maya/3DS may be valid, your lack of social grace hinders the message that you're trying to deliver. In fact, it probably has an adverse effect on the promotion of F/OSS software as a viable alternative to encumbered offerings.

              Comment


              • #47
                PITA

                What.A.Pain.In.The.Ass...

                Lately there seems everything gone wrong in linux world. This work, but that didn't work. Those works but not this, etc..etc..
                # kde using much more memory now, more crashing. (Debian 64bit testing KDE 4.6.5 with 6xxMB startup mem).
                # AMD catalyst driver worsening (well, it's never good to begin with, haha)..
                # gnome 3
                # unity
                # etc..etc..

                VGA: I don't know hows the situation at the green [graphic card] side now. Is there brighter or darker? If this card die on me, I can see that my next will be from green side. Until of course, the red side can provide working (I mean really-really working like good video out, opengl 2/3/4, etc) driver. open source one preferred.

                Comment


                • #48
                  @Milos_SD

                  if you are very lucky (which i doubt) you could disable the intel onboard in the bios. if you are not to lucky but want to try, then add while booting this:

                  blacklist=i915

                  that will prevent the intel module from loading on boot. you should use the xorg.conf you created too.

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    For me with hd4200 card the "no cursor on external screen" is fixed, I can now move the mouse around both screens without running xrandr to fix it.

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                      only apologies and excuses!

                      if the opensource driver don't do what you want you only use the wrong "workstation" software!

                      well Maya,3dmax and Catia don't run well then its the fault from 3dmax and CATIA.

                      the people should just quit in using this shit and they should start using "Blender"

                      and yes "Blender" works well with the Open-source drivers.

                      and if "Blender" don't do the 3D CAD work then they should start a similar open-source project.

                      I vote for making Maya,3dmax,CATIA against the law! I also Vote for making FireGL and Quatro against the LAW!

                      no more apologies and excuses!
                      Yes, Blender works well with OSS driver, but OpenGL performance is better with fglrx. I had to switch to fglrx, because I had serious viewport slowdowns working with large 3D models in Blender. It's much better with fglrx. It's a shame, because OSS driver has better 2D performance and dual-head setup is easier.
                      I'd probably need better graphics card to be able to work with OSS radeon driver. I've seen good progress in OpenGL preformance of radeon driver so I'm hopeful for the future.
                      I think 3DS max doesn't even have linux version - only windows and mac.
                      CATIA is completely different type of software than Blender, as mentioned above.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X