Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 11.11 Brings Critical Linux Changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Compiles on Fdora 16

    It compiles fine with kernel 3.1 and Xorg 1.11
    I have occasional crashes with the Gnome 3.2 shell, tough. Seems to happen when moving windows and openeing
    the overview screen.

    Moving of windows is a bit choppy, as if the entire screen was updated like 15Hz
    There is no tearing visible, tough.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
      I assume PowerXpress (switchable dual intel&amd graphics) still doesnt work?
      It still fails completely; X will not start.

      11.8 is the final working version. Looks like it will never work again, sigh.

      Comment


      • #23
        There is no severe graphics corruption.

        Can someone confirm this who had issues with previous drivers? I used the open-source dirvers for the past 6 months.

        when entering the overview screen, then the background is briefly corrupted. It is distracting but not annoying.
        I have read that menus and the like used to be completely corrupted.

        Comment


        • #24
          Thanks GrrlTlak for your reply again

          Originally posted by GrrlTlak View Post
          Hi there, no it won't work for neither Fedora 15 or 16. I am running both systems. I swear: never ever ATI /AMD again. You go KDE, that'll be fine. Besides the annoying fact that plasma-netbook maximizes all windows it is a fast and nice replacement which works flawless with the 11.10-driver (i did not test the 11.11 with KDE yet). Ati really sucks.
          I Should switch to KDE last month. I Waited for Catalyst 11.11 for Gnome 3 Fix.But Time Wasted
          BTW Gnome 3 User Interface is ModeRn and Ease.It really needs HW Acceleration for mutter window Management.
          Thanks for the Quick Reply

          Comment


          • #25
            it is possible to have decent performance in G3 if you disable vsync. Of course, G3 being what it is, there's no config option to check anywhere. You have to drop
            Code:
            export CLUTTER_VBLANK=none
            in your .profile or .bashrc

            But I do prefer KDE anyway

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by johnfparis View Post
              It still fails completely; X will not start.

              11.8 is the final working version. Looks like it will never work again, sigh.
              Huh I wasnt aware 11.8 works. I'm sure I tried it...

              Comment


              • #27
                Not working on F16

                I only recently installed F16 from F14 (Why the **** did I do that, big mistake)
                Tried catalyst 11.10, got the black screen upon boot.
                Tried 11.11, it seems to compile & install fine, no error in the log, it even booted into gnome okay, but it was VERY slow, glxgears didn't even show up, so I uninstalled and reinstalled driver, but when booted again, stuck at the sad computer face that say "oh no, something has gone wrong". Now back to square one.

                My card is a 5570, dell xps420, on a clean install of F16.
                I'd really like to get gnome 3 working, please help?

                Comment


                • #28
                  Tried it on my amd c-50 netbook (asus 1215b) with a Fedora 16 install. And it horribly failed. X wont start again.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by GrrlTlak View Post
                    Hi there, no it won't work for neither Fedora 15 or 16. I am running both systems. I swear: never ever ATI /AMD again. You go KDE, that'll be fine. Besides the annoying fact that plasma-netbook maximizes all windows it is a fast and nice replacement which works flawless with the 11.10-driver (i did not test the 11.11 with KDE yet). Ati really sucks.
                    openSUSE 12.1 is the first distribution officially supported by Catalyst to ship with GNOME3, and the status on this version is "preview". So these drivers work as advertised. Everything else is a bonus.
                    Use either a distribution that is officially supported, or use the opensource drivers. Otherwise you're on your own. In which case you might want to use that time, wasted posting "it sucks" comments, constructively instead, by... Oh I don't know... Getting users of your distro to ask AMD to support it?
                    It's insane that this has to be repeated for... EVERY... SINGLE... RELEASE... of Catalyst.
                    Last edited by PsynoKhi0; 11-16-2011, 10:54 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                      openSUSE 12.1 is the first distribution officially supported by Catalyst to ship with GNOME3, and the status on this version is "preview". So these drivers work as advertised. Everything else is a bonus.
                      Use either a distribution that is officially supported, or use the opensource drivers. Otherwise you're on your own. In which case you might want to use that time, wasted posting "it sucks" comments, constructively instead, by... Oh I don't know... Getting users of your distro to ask AMD to support it?
                      It's insane that this has to be repeated for... EVERY... SINGLE... RELEASE... of Catalyst.
                      Thank you for your funny, uplifting and nevertheless very important comment and the effort and energy you invested to make it a reality. You made my day

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X