Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 11.10 Linux Driver Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
    Thanks but whats the magic "environment variable"?

    Thanks
    export KWIN_DIRECT_GL=1

    in .bashrc

    But I'll warn you that Catalyst is pretty misbehaved in this mode. Performance is better using the legacy OpenGL 1 backend with indirect rendering.

    Comment


    • #17
      Can somebody help me to install this driver on Fedora 16?

      I'm not a Linux newbie, but I switched from Ubuntu to Fedora and have some trouble to install the driver. I always get a black screen or my screen goes to standby at GDM.

      I allready tried the "nomodeset" kernel argument with no success. I installed the driver via the ati installer. Anything else you need to know to help me?

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by dopehouse View Post
        Can somebody help me to install this driver on Fedora 16?

        I'm not a Linux newbie, but I switched from Ubuntu to Fedora and have some trouble to install the driver. I always get a black screen or my screen goes to standby at GDM.

        I allready tried the "nomodeset" kernel argument with no success. I installed the driver via the ati installer. Anything else you need to know to help me?
        Fedora 16 uses X.org Server 1.11, which Catalyst doesn't support.

        You can use Fedora 15, a distribution that still ships an old version of the X server like *buntu, or you can (*_BAD IDEA!!!!!_*) attempt to replace the X.org Server in Fedora 16 with one from Fedora 15. (I haven't done this, but there are a few reports that it "works", whatever that means.)

        Fedora users are often stuck on old releases because Ubuntu and OpenSuse tend to use obsolete components to make it less work for proprietary driver vendors to support them. AMD Catalyst supported distributions tend to be a release or two behind on the X server or the kernel on launch.

        Nvidia is better about making sure their drivers work, even if it's labeled "beta" you almost always have same day Fedora support.

        As for "nomodeset", you have to use that one on Fedora 15 (the RPM Fusion packages add it for you) because the open source radeon module loads too and also attempts to control the hardware. So you get radeon in the kernel trying to set the video mode at the same time Catalyst/FGLRX is trying to set the video mode from user space through the X server, and so the entire system just locks up.

        In Ubuntu, the packages add a blacklist entry for the radeon driver, so nomodeset or radeon.modeset=0 is not necessary because radeon isn't ever loaded. In Fedora it's stitting there doing nothing, and I think the reason you can't change it is because Ubuntu compiles it as a module while Fedora compiles it into the kernel image so the user can't blacklist it.
        Last edited by DaemonFC; 11-01-2011, 09:35 AM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Thanks for the fast reply. I'll try the driver on my Notebook with F15 and GNOME-Shell.

          Regards
          Dopehouse

          Comment


          • #20
            For some reason I haven't had any problems thus far with Linux 3.1 + this new driver. (Just renamed the 11.9 ebuild.)

            Comment


            • #21
              Thats nothing special, i do not know about any 3d driver that broke from 3.0 to 3.1.

              Comment


              • #22
                11.10 sucks on Windows too. Rage isn't supported by it, lol (you just get a screen full of blue shadows instead of the game.)

                Comment


                • #23
                  For Juniper users experiencing slow performance under ubuntu 11.10 with Unity.

                  From CCSM composite: disable Detect Refresh Rate
                  From CCSM composite: Set Refresh Rate Slider to your refresh rate (60 in my case)
                  From CCSM OpenGL: disable Sync to Vblanc
                  From Catalyst Control Center in display options disable Tear Free
                  Restart X

                  What I was noticed was that window-drag actions were slow on start. After 10 mins, they were fast. If I unhid the unity launcher (autohide on left side of screen), everything got slow again for a few minutes. Lather, rinse, repeat.

                  It appeared that screen elements were updating at a different rate. So we either need to get everything drawing at the same rate, or we need to make the rate not matter. The above fix does a little of both. There 'may' be a way to re-enable tear-free desktop in conjunction with other settings and maintain a performant system. I'll see how it goes.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by russofris View Post
                    For Juniper users experiencing slow performance under ubuntu 11.10 with Unity.

                    From CCSM composite: disable Detect Refresh Rate
                    From CCSM composite: Set Refresh Rate Slider to your refresh rate (60 in my case)
                    From CCSM OpenGL: disable Sync to Vblanc
                    From Catalyst Control Center in display options disable Tear Free
                    Restart X

                    What I was noticed was that window-drag actions were slow on start. After 10 mins, they were fast. If I unhid the unity launcher (autohide on left side of screen), everything got slow again for a few minutes. Lather, rinse, repeat.

                    It appeared that screen elements were updating at a different rate. So we either need to get everything drawing at the same rate, or we need to make the rate not matter. The above fix does a little of both. There 'may' be a way to re-enable tear-free desktop in conjunction with other settings and maintain a performant system. I'll see how it goes.
                    This is Ubuntu bug 763005 - see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/763005 . There is a fix coming in the next version of Compiz/Unity, which will be available as an SRU for Ubuntu 11.10.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Vaapi?

                      Hi!

                      I have a HD2600 Mobility Radeon video card in my laptop. It is an UVD card. With this new version, can I use vaapi?
                      The last workable driver is the 11.7 Catalyst, which comes many tearing, and has slow operation...
                      With Catalyst 11.9 and 11.10 ubuntu, vaapi crashes too...

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        PowerXpress improvements

                        The latest (11.10) driver has improved also PowerXpress technology: it's the first time it finds my ATI card on my hybrid graphics HP Envy 17, and install the driver, switching to AMD chip. Pity the X.org configuration complains about a missing fglrx device section (probably wrong PCI address) and doesn't work, but still a nice improvement...

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Fedora 15 64 bit Gnome Version 3.0.1

                          Will the Catalyst 11.10 Works with Fedora 15 64 bit Gnome Version 3.0.1?
                          Catalyst 11.9 messed up my gnome desktop.gnome switched to classic desktop with no effects.
                          tried nomodeset and everything i read on forums.
                          Anybody out there with success?
                          My Card is Radeon HD 3870.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            No, sir, it still CAN'T boogie.

                            Originally posted by symcracker View Post
                            Will the Catalyst 11.10 Works with Fedora 15 64 bit Gnome Version 3.0.1?
                            Catalyst 11.9 messed up my gnome desktop.gnome switched to classic desktop with no effects.
                            tried nomodeset and everything i read on forums.
                            Anybody out there with success?
                            My Card is Radeon HD 3870.
                            I have a [Mobility Radeon HD 4200] in my computer. I have Fedora 15 64bit installed. And no, it will not function at all. Sure, you can start the standard gnome-shell session and the unreadable "butchered" windows are gone, but it is really slow and if you try to activate the upper left corner the whole screen flashes until you avoid the corner or any other sort of animation. It is nasty, that's what it is. It is not working. It is a shame what AMD delivers.

                            As i do not want to use the opensource driver due to its powermanagement problems i switched to kde plasma-netbook. Using this, i notice no problems with the catalyst 11.10 driver at all. Maybe you should dump Gnome like i did

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              At last the GNOME devs and ATi fglrx OpenGL devs are finally joining forces to help us ATi / GNOME users to have a normal working Desktop.!
                              Only good things will come now on the next ati and gnome release.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Fedora 15 64 bit Gnome Version 3.0.1

                                Thanks GrrlTlak for the clarification
                                I'm gonna wait for the Catalyst 11.11,Hope it'll support Fedora 15+Gnome 3,otherwise I'll consider switching my graphic card to GTX 460(Used for dedicated physX) from another machine.
                                messing up with video drivers and re installing OS are time consuming

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X