AMD Catalyst 11.10 is out.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 11.10 is out.

20 minutes and hasn't crashed yet. Far superior to 11.9.

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/at...x86.x86_64.run

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
    20 minutes and hasn't crashed yet. Far superior to 11.9.

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/at...x86.x86_64.run
    its like the opt out of atomic energy in Germans, Switzerland and Belgium if you opt out from the catalyst the FGLRX will never crash again

I'm happy with the radeon driver right now

Comment

Don't forget about this links

Users tech. support: http://emailcustomercare.amd.com/
      Developers tech. support: http://developer.amd.com/support/kno...ckrequest.aspx

Comment

These drivers are working awesome for me! Fast performance! It has been some time ago I have been this happy with FGRLX!

Comment

Fantastic!!

wonder if it will be an official "additional driver" with ubuntu soon - or i will haveto get my hands dirty again.

pity about the lack of change logs - id like to know how much more opengl support was in the release. perhaps the texture_from_pixmap glitches have been addressed ?

P

Comment

Is this finally the driver I'm waiting for over 2 years now?

How does gnome-shell behave?

Comment

I use KDE, all I can say is that it's not crashing X if you use KDE like 11.9 was every few minutes.

Comment

Generated DEB-packages doesn't work for me at all. After installation and "amdconfig --initial" X Server doesn't start with this error:
                (WW) fglrx(0): ************************************************** *********
                (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed *
                (WW) fglrx(0): * kernel module (fglrx.ko) may be missing or incompatible *
                (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D and 3D acceleration disabled *
                Not sure yet, but probably Oneiric packaging script is broken. Now I can't even go back to Catalyst 11.8 from Canonical repository - it's doesn't load too with same error message. Any advices?
                Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 10-31-2011, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                  Generated DEB-packages doesn't work for me at all. After installation and "amdconfig --initial" X Server doesn't start with this error:
                  (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed *
                  (WW) fglrx(0): * kernel module (fglrx.ko) may be missing or incompatible *
                  (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D and 3D acceleration disabled *
                  Not sure yet, but probably Oneiric packaging script is broken. Now I can't even go back to Catalyst 11.8 from Canonical repository - it's doesn't load too with same error message. Any advices?
                  It hasn't needed a xorg.conf in a while, just skip amdconfig and it will work.

Comment

I know, but X Server doesn't start without xorg.conf too.

Comment

Using Ubuntu 11.10 (x86) with GNOME Shell 3.2 and dual monitor set-up.

Still graphical corruption, though not constant, in different area's:
                      - Tooltips and scrollbar handle
                      - Glitches over the complete desktop when alternately hovering over two notification area icons (bottom right) a few times

Application overview appears to respond a bit slower and animates slightly less fluently

Enabling "Tear Free Video" in the CCC makes the complete desktop stutter.

In my case I see no notable improvements over 11.9. No Shell crashes/restarts so far though.

The Shell top bar still refuses to be moved to a primary monitor on the right-hand side. I'm, however, not sure if this is a driver or a Shell issue.
                      Last edited by Forage; 10-31-2011, 02:04 PM.

Comment

I also get corruption with gnome-shell. Also 50HZ output doesn't work anymore. My monitors show it is an unsupported mode but the even have the mode in EDID data.

Comment

Originally posted by Forage View Post
                          Using Ubuntu 11.10 (x86) with GNOME Shell 3.2 and dual monitor set-up.

Still graphical corruption, though not constant, in different area's:
                          - Tooltips and scrollbar handle
                          - Glitches over the complete desktop when alternately hovering over two notification area icons (bottom right) a few times

Application overview appears to respond a bit slower and animates slightly less fluently

Enabling "Tear Free Video" in the CCC makes the complete desktop stutter.

In my case I see no notable improvements over 11.9. No Shell crashes/restarts so far though.

The Shell top bar still refuses to be moved to a primary monitor on the right-hand side. I'm, however, not sure if this is a driver or a Shell issue.
                          The Tear Free = stuttering and slow is the same thing that happens in KDE 4.7 if you force it to use OpenGL 2 shaders. In KDE's case, the default is it detects FGLRX and falls back to the legacy OpenGL 1.x fixed function backend.

My guess is with GNOME, there is no OpenGL 1.x fixed function backend for it to fall back to and you can't turn vsync off for mutter because GNOME = crusade against competent users who know what they need to do to make the system work right.

WIthout Tear Free on, but with kwin using vsync, you get graphical glitches if you force OpenGL 2 shaders.

But, KDE lets you turn vsync off. So if you're perfectly happy to live with tearing, then you can use the OpenGL 2 backend with kwin.

Comment

And unity?

Did anyone try it with unity?

Comment

Originally posted by bel3atar View Post
                              Did anyone try it with unity?
                              No, but my guess is that it should work.

Compiz uses a OpenGL 1.x fixed function backend like kwin's legacy mode has no matter what driver you use and is packed full of FGLRX bug workarounds.

Comment

Working...
                              X