Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 11.10 is out.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by chronniff View Post
    how did u install? I am running Oneiric 64 with unity, and when I install I only get the fallback graphics mode
    run the installer with --buildpkg option to generate debs. Then install using dpkg.

    Code:
    sudo sh ati-driver-installer-11-10-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/oneiric

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by alphacrucis2 View Post
      run the installer with --buildpkg option to generate debs. Then install using dpkg.

      Code:
      sudo sh ati-driver-installer-11-10-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/oneiric
      I really don't get what's going on with my system. I tried the same exact way. this is what Xorg.0.log gives me as the error

      (EE) fglrx(0): atiddxDriScreenInit failed, GPS not been initialized.
      [ 22.693] (WW) fglrx(0): ************************************************** *********
      [ 22.693] (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed *
      [ 22.693] (WW) fglrx(0): * kernel module (fglrx.ko) may be missing or incompatible *
      [ 22.693] (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D and 3D acceleration disabled *
      [ 22.693] (WW) fglrx(0): ************************************************** *********

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by chronniff View Post
        I really don't get what's going on with my system. I tried the same exact way. this is what Xorg.0.log gives me as the error

        (EE) fglrx(0): atiddxDriScreenInit failed, GPS not been initialized.
        [ 22.693] (WW) fglrx(0): ************************************************** *********
        [ 22.693] (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed *
        [ 22.693] (WW) fglrx(0): * kernel module (fglrx.ko) may be missing or incompatible *
        [ 22.693] (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D and 3D acceleration disabled *
        [ 22.693] (WW) fglrx(0): ************************************************** *********
        I don't know what has caused this problem but I always purge the old fglrx before running the --buildpkg and always run sudo aticonfig --initial after install of the debs but before rebooting.

        Code:
        sudo apt-get --purge remove fglrx*

        Don't know if these steps are really necessary but I carry on with it out of superstition and it seems to work for me.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by alphacrucis2 View Post
          I don't know what has caused this problem but I always purge the old fglrx before running the --buildpkg and always run sudo aticonfig --initial after install of the debs but before rebooting.

          Code:
          sudo apt-get --purge remove fglrx*

          Don't know if these steps are really necessary but I carry on with it out of superstition and it seems to work for me.
          haha, yeah I always do the same sort of superstitious steps as well, but for some reason my system is screwed, the module doesn't seem to be loading at all, as I cant load or unload fglrx in a vt. I wonder whether upgrading to 11.10, instead of reinstalling is responsible for this

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            Disable sync to Vblank until this bug is fixed in an upcoming Compiz update.
            Did that, still sluggish animations

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by bel3atar View Post
              Installed it on Unity: sluggish compiz animations...
              Most likely the well known Compiz+FGLRX vsync problem. It'll be fixed in Compiz eventually. Until then, you can work around it by setting vsync to off in Compiz Config Settings Manager. (You will need to install that though)

              Edit: I posted this before the post above this. Disregard.

              Comment


              • #37
                For those using aticonfig/amdconfig, you can probably just stop it. Catalyst/FGLRX works fine without a xorg.conf since sometime last year in most cases.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
                  For those using aticonfig/amdconfig, you can probably just stop it. Catalyst/FGLRX works fine without a xorg.conf since sometime last year in most cases.
                  Maybe, but if aticonfig isn't found and the kernel module is missing like these people are reporting, it indicates a deeper problem: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu....22_after_boot

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    I tried installing using both the graphic installer and by generating packages. Both said they were successful, but left me stuck in Unity 2d. I had to remove them and go back to the 11.8 driver. Hopefully this gets added to repo soon and works. I'd really like to try it and see if there is better 2D performance on my Asus 1215b with the E-350 processor.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by DanL View Post
                      Maybe, but if aticonfig isn't found and the kernel module is missing like these people are reporting, it indicates a deeper problem: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu....22_after_boot
                      not that I can tell, a few people pointed to this, but none of the things there seem to me the issue.
                      I actually just found that if I go into /lib/modules/yourkernelhere/updates/dkms/ and then sudo insmod ./fglrx.ko then I was able to get it to properly load.....I'm guessing this wont keep it loading every reboot, any ideas as to why its not loading automatically?
                      Last edited by chronniff; 10-31-2011, 09:53 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Impossible install it on ubuntu 11.10 x64 frist i made a deb packs and it installs but no opengl only 2d driver in ccc. Then i removed all and installed it another way but it failed too with hung before login screen and then i batteled remove all and use 11.8, but 11.10 catalyst no go.

                        How do you guys remove, purge and install it. i used this http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide
                        i used linux only 20 days.
                        Last edited by Margus; 11-01-2011, 05:36 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Disabled VBlank thing needs reboot, now it works well.
                          But I'm experiening a shutdown problem now: the computer freezes on plymouth and I have to hard shutdown it.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by DanL View Post
                            Maybe, but if aticonfig isn't found and the kernel module is missing like these people are reporting, it indicates a deeper problem: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu....22_after_boot
                            In my experience, the kernel module is actually there, and amdconfig spits out this error, which is totally bogus.

                            amdconfig's only purpose is to generate a xorg.conf, which is unnecessary most of the time anyway.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              so I have worked out a workaround for the time being. I added "insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/updates/kms/fgrlx.ko" to /etc/rc.local.
                              that loads the module fine, and then u have to restart x by restarting lightdm to get everything to load right ( either switch into a VT then back, or login and logout, or I guess u could add something like service lightdm restart to /etc/rc.local).

                              As far as I can see the problem seems to be that modprobe cannot find fglrx. For the life of me I can't figure out why seems it seems to be listed correctly in the modules.dep file and all the other modules files in the kernels /lib/modules directory. When u try to use modprobe maunally to load fglrx, u get something like "Fatal Error: cannot find module fglrx" (thats not it exactly, i'm not on that desktop at the moment so can't test it)

                              I should mention that amdconfig/aticonfig work just fine, so that isn't the issue, whether u use them or not.....also I tried the solutions at http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu....22_after_boot and none of what they say there seems to be the problem
                              Last edited by chronniff; 11-01-2011, 02:40 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Can anyone tell me if 11.10 works with xorg 1.11? Fedora 16, Debian Testing and Arch Linux should all have it.

                                It took me enough effort to get 11.8 working again, so I held off with upgrading until 11.10. But there is no changelog or anything :/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X