Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 11.8 Linux Driver Released

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 11.8 Linux Driver Released

While LinuxCon 2011 just started in Vancouver, Canada, the AMD developers over in Toronto have released their monthly Catalyst Linux driver update. Catalyst 11.8 Linux driver is now available for those who want this binary blob for Radeon/FirePro graphics processors...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTgwOA

My personal changes:

No Mouse Freeze bug.
    No Gnome-Shell support.

AMD has finally finished re-branding ATI marks to AMD four years after they acquired the company. This re-branding includes renaming the "aticonfig" utility to "amdconfig", but there is a symbolic link between the two so that nothing is broken. There's also ATI reference changes within the installer and AMD Catalyst Control Center Linux Edition (AMDCCCLE).
    the installer is still called "ati-driver-installer"...

Comment

Originally posted by fabioamd87 View Post
      My personal changes:

No Mouse Freeze bug.
      No Gnome-Shell support.
      meaning those things work now?

Comment

nice driver.

mouse stuck bug idd fixed now.
        no crashes noticed, working solid.
        games like minecraft and HoN work perfectly aswell.

Comment

It works with Mandriva 2010.2

Except for a minor glitch in the .spec file. I fixed that by doing:

sh ati-driver-installer-11-8-x86.x86_64.run --keep --buildpkg Mandriva/2010.2

Then in the resulting subdirectory, I found "fglrx.spec" and removed the offending lines (they were around 250 or so).

I then did ati-installer.sh 11.8 --buildpkg Mandriva/2010.2

and the RPMS were all built. I then

sudo service dm stop

sudo rmmod fglrx

sudo rpm -Fvh *.rpm (in the directory with the RPMS)

sudo service dm start

Everything came up and ran fine, Unigine Heaven, google-earth (which didn't work with 11.7)

amdcccle showed everything was 11.8 and up to date.

Comment

i'm still waiting for the real big amd news this week..

maybe tomorrow ?

maybe an UVD-light spec ? or an h264 shader based decoder?

or info about the hd8000 series with full 100% spec for opensource driver based hardware ?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
              i'm still waiting for the real big amd news this week..

maybe tomorrow ?

maybe an UVD-light spec ? or an h264 shader based decoder?

or info about the hd8000 series with full 100% spec for opensource driver based hardware ?
              Probably something related to OpenCL.

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
                meaning those things work now?
                I mean that the mouse bug is fixed but the gnome is still in fallback mode.

Comment

OpenGL?

Does this include support for the newly released OpenGL 4.2 spec?

Comment

Originally posted by tsuru View Post
                    Does this include support for the newly released OpenGL 4.2 spec?
                    No .

Comment

i feel like:

http://i.imgur.com/PqCw5.jpg

Comment

Still getting cursor corruption on dual monitor

Comment

Still can't resume from sleep on my E-350 laptop. This is ridiculous there is not a fglrx release that has managed to resume correctly since the original 11.4. I thought fglrx was supposed to support workstations? Well, this is a workstation so where is the support?

Moreover, how come the open-source drivers can resume from sleep, are more stable and have faster 2d to boot? Add power management and there would be little reason to use fglrx anymore.

A very frustrated workstation customer.

Comment

I didn't think we had a workstation (eg FirePro) product based on E-350 or any of the Fusion parts yet. Doesn't mean we don't want fglrx to work on your laptop, but it's when we say "workstation" we're talking about FirePro etc...

I'm actually a bit surprised that suspend/resume is working with the open drivers. The feedback I had heard was more the other way round, that we had a known issue with the open drivers but that fglrx worked. Will ask around.

I haven't had a chance to search through the unofficial bug tracker but if there isn't a similar ticket on there already it would be great if you could add one with system details. Suspend/resume is relatively more system specific than most functionality so a problem on your system may not mean the functionality is generally broken.

One advantage that the open source drivers have had is that relatively more of the development has been done on real production systems (after launch) whereas most of the Catalyst work has to be completed well before production hardware is available. This advantage may go away a bit as we try to do the open source development work earlier and provide support closer to launch -- we'll need to figure out the best balance.
                            Last edited by bridgman; 08-19-2011, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                              I didn't think we had a workstation (eg FirePro) product based on E-350 or any of the Fusion parts yet. Doesn't mean we don't want fglrx to work on your laptop, but it's when we say "workstation" we're talking about FirePro etc...
                              I guess HP "business" notebooks don't qualify then, even though they list linux support.

(Edit: just visited the page above and, to my surprise, they've removed "SUSE Enterprise Linux 11" reference from the 3105m notebook - the one with the E-350. Not all that surprising, given my recent experience, but unfortunate nonetheless. That's one of the reasons I originally bought this).

I'm actually a bit surprised that suspend/resume is working with the open drivers. The feedback I had heard was more the other way round, that we had a known issue with the open drivers but that fglrx worked. Will ask around.
                              Please do. I haven't tested open-source suspend on Ubuntu 11.04 (uses 2.6.38 kernel so E-350 doesn't really work correctly - needs 2.6.39, IIRC) but suspend works perfectly on 11.10 (3.0.0-8 kernel, works even after multiple suspend/resume cycles). Fglrx has never worked on either (there's a ~50% chance of a hardlock during suspend and another 50% during resume).

I'll search the bug tracker.

Edit 2: it's been reported as http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=153
                              Last edited by BlackStar; 08-19-2011, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X