Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Puts Out An OpenGL 4.2 Linux Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD Puts Out An OpenGL 4.2 Linux Driver

    Phoronix: AMD Puts Out An OpenGL 4.2 Linux Driver

    While Mesa won't have OpenGL 4.2 support for some time, NVIDIA released an OpenGL 4.2 preview driver on Monday as soon as the Khronos Group had published the new specification. AMD yesterday has now released a beta Linux driver (of their Catalyst blob, nothing to do with open-source) that provides OpenGL 4.2 support...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTc4MA

  • #2
    let the flame war begin!

    I am AMD fan boy. I was using AMD processors for ages. Only AMD. I am poor, so it's better choice for me.

    However, I won't consider open source driver for gaming platform. Don't buy AMD for no reason boys and girls.

    For over a year AMD graphics drivers are not to a par with their binary driver and it seems they won't ever be. Where i stand - its just marketing step nothing more. So buy either AMD or Nvidia, based on price/performance/power consumption.

    Comment


    • #3
      It doesn't support GNOME Shell AND it has a watermark. Hooray. :P

      Of course, Catalyst is so broken it may never support GNOME Shell or KWin's new OpenGL 2 backend properly.

      It renders the browser pages upside down in Firefox if you try to use it in OpenGL composite mode. Can they not do better than this? But yes, I hear the response coming already. They only care about RHEL and SUSE users, and maybe some proprietary games on Ubuntu. I know, I know. :P

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
        It doesn't support GNOME Shell AND it has a watermark. Hooray. :P

        Of course, Catalyst is so broken it may never support GNOME Shell or KWin's new OpenGL 2 backend properly.

        It renders the browser pages upside down in Firefox if you try to use it in OpenGL composite mode. Can they not do better than this? But yes, I hear the response coming already. They only care about RHEL and SUSE users, and maybe some proprietary games on Ubuntu. I know, I know. :P
        It's only a beta....
        Seriously though, when AMD say "beta", they mean it - expect bugs. It's more for those who want/need whatever the beta is directly aimed (OpenGL 4.2 in this case). So if you're not using for that purpose, then don't expect much. Have to ask though - how good is the GNOME or KWin backends themselves? They may not be the most stable thing on the planet either.
        Anyway, good to see beta drivers out. Glad that AMD and nVidia are keeping track with OpenGL releases - the support from both companies by having drivers usable by developers is most definitely a good thing, and the Mesa folk aren't sitting idle either.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mirv View Post
          It's only a beta....
          Seriously though, when AMD say "beta", they mean it - expect bugs. It's more for those who want/need whatever the beta is directly aimed (OpenGL 4.2 in this case). So if you're not using for that purpose, then don't expect much. Have to ask though - how good is the GNOME or KWin backends themselves? They may not be the most stable thing on the planet either.
          Anyway, good to see beta drivers out. Glad that AMD and nVidia are keeping track with OpenGL releases - the support from both companies by having drivers usable by developers is most definitely a good thing, and the Mesa folk aren't sitting idle either.
          Yeah, except these aren't new. (except the watermark of course)

          AMD's FGLRX team blows. Seriously, I have had nothing but problems out of that thing and all they do every month is bump the version and lie about more OpenGL extensions it doesn't properly support.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dimko View Post
            I am AMD fan boy. I was using AMD processors for ages. Only AMD. I am poor, so it's better choice for me.

            However, I won't consider open source driver for gaming platform. Don't buy AMD for no reason boys and girls.

            For over a year AMD graphics drivers are not to a par with their binary driver and it seems they won't ever be. Where i stand - its just marketing step nothing more. So buy either AMD or Nvidia, based on price/performance/power consumption.
            Their processors are fine, their GPUs only seem to work properly with Windows. But they are so far up Microsoft's ass it's hard to tell where they end and AMD begins lately.

            Pimping Windows 7, promoting IE 9, advertising DirectX, running their site on Windows Server and IIS.

            It's not too hard to tell where they're coming from, especially after you load their Linux proprietary blob and watch everything fall over and die.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
              Yeah, except these aren't new. (except the watermark of course)

              AMD's FGLRX team blows. Seriously, I have had nothing but problems out of that thing and all they do every month is bump the version and lie about more OpenGL extensions it doesn't properly support.
              Kind of strange, as I've had no such problems with fglrx, aside from a corrupt mouse cursor on a secondary monitor. That one is annoying; even if I'm back to a single monitor, I know it's still affecting others. I'm curious though - which opengl extensions doesn't it support that it claims it does? I think their early-bird OpenGL 4.1 driver had one (or was it 2?) issues where something wasn't on spec, but that was cleared up on official release. I've encountered no such issues with OpenGL 3.x, or with 2.x (which I admittedly don't program with anymore).
              You also mentioned that the GNOME shell had problems - but what problems? Complaining is one thing, but aside from a single firefox issue (which could well be a problem with firefox, not the drivers) I haven't read any actual issue.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dimko View Post
                I am AMD fan boy. I was using AMD processors for ages. Only AMD. I am poor, so it's better choice for me.

                However, I won't consider open source driver for gaming platform. Don't buy AMD for no reason boys and girls.

                For over a year AMD graphics drivers are not to a par with their binary driver and it seems they won't ever be. Where i stand - its just marketing step nothing more. So buy either AMD or Nvidia, based on price/performance/power consumption.
                On the Contrary I would say that the open source radeon drivers are accelerating wonderfully, the fact that they're already at 50% speed is outstanding, and I have no doubt that in a few years that they'll close the gap. I mean think about it quite a lot of work has been put into getting up support for the older hardware and the newer hardware, and they still have plenty of work when it comes to supporting features according to their matrix, and so not as much has been put into optimization work. The fact remains however that they're already at 50% of the speed of FGLRX and climbing, I personally wouldn't be too surprised if radeon surpasses FGLRX by the time that Mesa is completely caught up (my personal guess on that being 2-3 years), that's how I see it anyway.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
                  Their processors are fine, their GPUs only seem to work properly with Windows. But they are so far up Microsoft's ass it's hard to tell where they end and AMD begins lately.

                  Pimping Windows 7, promoting IE 9, advertising DirectX, running their site on Windows Server and IIS.

                  It's not too hard to tell where they're coming from, especially after you load their Linux proprietary blob and watch everything fall over and die.
                  So.....again, "fall over and die" doesn't really explain a problem. It actually sounds more like you either a) can't install driver properly, or b) want to blame AMD's drivers for any issue in the linux ecosystem. If it would make you feel better, I can point out some problems I have with AMD's OpenGL implementation, but it's all related to how the driver handles people not sticking to spec, and even this is being improved on greatly (when I do nasty things, it generally crashes only the program now, and not take all of X with it - which kind of helps in debugging). Of course, I can point to some nvidia problems I've encountered too. I can't mention anything on Intel, but good luck with their hardware and OpenGL 3.x.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
                    Their processors are fine, their GPUs only seem to work properly with Windows. But they are so far up Microsoft's ass it's hard to tell where they end and AMD begins lately.

                    Pimping Windows 7, promoting IE 9, advertising DirectX, running their site on Windows Server and IIS.

                    It's not too hard to tell where they're coming from, especially after you load their Linux proprietary blob and watch everything fall over and die.
                    Actually as far as I could tell, AMD is pimping out both linux and windows, such as here http://sites.amd.com/us/business/sof...es/redhat.aspx And if you want to really ask questions about advertising, why the hell is it that until I set up my DNS black hole, whenever I would go to any Linux site I'd see Microsoft Advertisements? I've seen more microsoft advertisements on linux sites than anywhere else.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mirv View Post
                      Kind of strange, as I've had no such problems with fglrx, aside from a corrupt mouse cursor on a secondary monitor. That one is annoying; even if I'm back to a single monitor, I know it's still affecting others. I'm curious though - which opengl extensions doesn't it support that it claims it does? I think their early-bird OpenGL 4.1 driver had one (or was it 2?) issues where something wasn't on spec, but that was cleared up on official release. I've encountered no such issues with OpenGL 3.x, or with 2.x (which I admittedly don't program with anymore).
                      You also mentioned that the GNOME shell had problems - but what problems? Complaining is one thing, but aside from a single firefox issue (which could well be a problem with firefox, not the drivers) I haven't read any actual issue.
                      I tried to get a screenshot of it but it wouldn't work with FGLRX loaded, there were rainbows and static everywhere like being on acid or something,
                      and the framerate was like half of what the open source radeon driver gives me.

                      Nvidia's blob manages to run GNOME Shell, what the hell is wrong with AMD? Could they lift a finger to fix their mess? Please? If you want some fun with KDE, force the OpenGL 2 backend in KDE 4.7 and watch the fun begin. vsync or tear free desktop make it painfully slow, so disable them and it seems to run fine until you load a game and it destroys X. (which also happens in GNOME.

                      KDE 4.7 feeds FGLRX the obsolete OpenGL 1.4 backend to make it shut up and work. Should it have to?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                        Actually as far as I could tell, AMD is pimping out both linux and windows, such as here http://sites.amd.com/us/business/sof...es/redhat.aspx And if you want to really ask questions about advertising, why the hell is it that until I set up my DNS black hole, whenever I would go to any Linux site I'd see Microsoft Advertisements? I've seen more microsoft advertisements on linux sites than anywhere else.
                        Yeah, it seems like Microsoft has bought sourceforge if you go there without ad blocking on.

                        redhat.aspx? lol?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                          Actually as far as I could tell, AMD is pimping out both linux and windows, such as here http://sites.amd.com/us/business/sof...es/redhat.aspx And if you want to really ask questions about advertising, why the hell is it that until I set up my DNS black hole, whenever I would go to any Linux site I'd see Microsoft Advertisements? I've seen more microsoft advertisements on linux sites than anywhere else.
                          As Michael said, Microsoft ads pay more. Be happy your fave linux sites are getting more money

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Who's to blame for FGLRX not working in Gnome Shell? Is it the Gnome devs or AMD? Either way, AMD should probably step up and put some effort into fixing the problem.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by gururise View Post
                              Who's to blame for FGLRX not working in Gnome Shell? Is it the Gnome devs or AMD? Either way, AMD should probably step up and put some effort into fixing the problem.
                              And GNOME should put in some effort to fix things too. I should probably make a disclaimer at this point: I don't deal directly with opengl interaction with X, so I'm not sure of what magic is done in there. I just wanted to point out that people are so quick to blame AMD for everything that they forget the other side - gnome. Who's to "blame"? Well, don't know that one. Maybe one, maybe the other, maybe both. People love to bandy nvidia's name about, but they conveniently forget that developers have had time to work around nvidia's driver problems (and new ones to crop up from time to time too). See wine for additional examples of that.
                              If something is broken in the way gnome does things, AMD shouldn't have to break their drivers to be compatible. Vice versa. Same applies with nvidia. Same with any open source driver.
                              Or put in another way: blaming AMD when you don't actually know what the problem is, doesn't make any sense. Blame them when you know what their driver is doing wrong, blame gnome when they're doing something wrong (maybe FBO attachments aren't the same bit-depth, stuff like that), and equally blame nvidia for what's broken in their drivers.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X