Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 11.7 Driver For Linux Brings...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To anyone having issues:
    Do you have X.org running when installing the drivers?
    Do you run the provided installation script? Or do you create packages? Or PPA or whatever...
    Do you delete /etc/ati/amdpscdb without X.org running prior to the first reboot with the new fglrx version?

Comment

Also...

Did you uninstall the previous driver before installing this one ?

Did you (or the package scripts) run aticonfig/amdconfig with the right parameters with root privileges without X running ?

Comment

-deleted /etc/ati/amdpscdb without X.org running
        -uninstalled previous (11.6) drivers
        -installed with provided installation script (run file)

still have the lower right corner mouse stuck issue
        its been ongoing since 11.5. i have filled the bugreport also.
        really nasty stuff.

Comment

Those suffering from the mouse freeze: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...use-freeze-bug

Other than that, SWCursor seems to alleviate the issue. Has anyone added a "Virtual" line in the screens section?
          Last edited by PsynoKhi0; 08-02-2011, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by v8envy View Post
            And they somehow managed to break OpenCL. Just freaking amazing.

I can see two cards with aticonfig (as in, aticonfig --odgc --od-gettemperature --adapter=all), set fan speed on both cards (e.g, DISPLAY=:0.1 and :0.0 aticonfig --pplib-cmd 'get fanspeed 0'), see both cards in catalyst control center...

But when I run clinfo I only see the CPU and one cypress device. Running a bitcoin miner is only possible on one device, the other one shows 0 load and performance is that of a single card...

Reverting to 11.6 fixes the issue.

Can we get a different intern to work on fglrx? Or maybe two interns for more than a few minutes a week with one doing a bit of QA? I mean, I know we all have incredibly low expectations and the blob driver has been utter crap for multimedia/gaming and even basic 2D VGA functionality for over half a decade now, but throw us a bone will you AMD?
            I have a 4870 X2 (no idea what model)

Going to the 11.7 driver on windows 7 x64 HPE broke the driver and had to revert back to 11.6. I'm guessing it's not just the Linux driver that has problems. I'm using the 11.7 driver in Linux and X only works once. If I close X and then startx again, basically X refuses to launch. I can post the /var/log later to show what error I get.

So 11.7 brought bugs for me, that's for sure. Here I was thinking ATi were catching nVidia in the driver dept. Nope, not by a long shot. Maybe the open source drivers are doing well .... but no thanks, I want the binary blob working and OpenCL back.

Comment

Thats a general fglrx problem that you can not stop X and unload the kernel module. It works sometimes but you definitely can not rely on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Thats a general fglrx problem that you can not stop X and unload the kernel module. It works sometimes but you definitely can not rely on it.
                You already file ticket to tech. support?

Comment

Thats the case since years, so it would be just lost time. Also switching from oss to fglrx usually crashes the system - even when you unload all modules - i can switch from nouveau to nvidia binary, but not possible from radeon to fglrx.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Thats the case since years, so it would be just lost time. Also switching from oss to fglrx usually crashes the system - even when you unload all modules - i can switch from nouveau to nvidia binary, but not possible from radeon to fglrx.
                    Even if they know about it they may not fix it because they think users doesn't care about such things. Why they think that? Because nobody file tickets to techsupport about such problems.

Comment

A majority don't care about that. We generally use one or the other. Using a mixture of both doesn't really benefit us.

Comment

Working...
                      X