Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.38.6 Display Driver Released -- The Least To Report On Driver In Two Years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD 8.38.6 Display Driver Released -- The Least To Report On Driver In Two Years

Hitting the web this afternoon was the AMD 8.38.6 display driver. Introduced in this driver was official Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 packaging scripts. Fixed in this driver was moving a video window between two monitors in a Big Desktop configuration no longer crashing the X.Org server and playing multiple videos when TexturedVideo is enabled no longer results in corruption.
    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=10310

It's a very sad release

Download: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...x86.x86_64.run

Release Notes: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...ux_8.38.6.html
    Michael Larabel
    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Your thread title is better

Are you sure that there are no secret changes? I had problems with Xserver 1.3 on Debian, too. Console and X crashes etc....

Must be a hard job beta testing these huge changes *lol*

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      Your thread title is better

Are you sure that there are no secret changes? I had problems with Xserver 1.3 on Debian, too. Console and X crashes etc....

Must be a hard job beta testing these huge changes *lol*
      There is nothing "secret" in this release that is applicable to the end user at this time at least.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm done with ATI. Enough is enough.

Comment

I have a laptop equipped with an ATI Radeon Mobility x1600 card and I must admit I truly hope ATI will release AIGLX-compatible drivers soon. Unfortunately, I cannot use the open-source driver.

Comment

Originally posted by zmaster View Post
            I have a laptop equipped with an ATI Radeon Mobility x1600 card and I must admit I truly hope ATI will release AIGLX-compatible drivers soon. Unfortunately, I cannot use the open-source driver.
            Why can't you use the open source driver? I must admit that there is no point going to the open-source as it is quite slow atm; i wonder what the ETA on each release will be like in comparison to amd's releases? I've waited all this time for ati fglrx to find out that i need to downgrade my X server as i am using Fedora 7. I'm guessing i would have to revert back to xorg-x11-server-sdk-1.1 to give this fglrx a whirl?

Comment

Known Issues:
              Video tearing during playback. Further details can be found in topic number 737-26984
              You godda be kidding me
              Still can't understand people aiming for AIGLX when you have the above issue.
              Last edited by sundown; 06-26-2007, 12:06 AM.

Comment

does this driver at least solve the problem of fglrx hardlocking and X using 100% CPU with DRI enabled on some cards??

Comment

Originally posted by karthikrg View Post
                  does this driver at least solve the problem of fglrx hardlocking and X using 100% CPU with DRI enabled on some cards??
                  I've just got it up and running on Fedora 7 after afew alterations:-

Had to downgrade my x server-
                  rpm -U --oldpackage xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.2.0-6.fc7.i386.rpm

Ran the ati.run file; installed custom with kernel modules:-

Then there was a dependency that i was missing; which i grabbed with yum -
                  yum install compat-libstdc++-33

Once that is all done just add fglrx into you xorg file and away you go.

So far i haven't tried enabling DRI. I'm using a Mobility X1700... So far so good. Once the open-source ati driver kicks it to second gear with AIGLX support i'm gonna swap over. Until then i would say stick with what you've got.

Peace out,
                  Dom

Comment

i bet 90% of ati users saw such "yet-another-bugfix" release coming.

i really hope that at least textured video is *really* fixed.
                    (edit: it's not fixed at all. ). why do they claim it's fixed? i can't get even a *single* video to play properly, not to mention multiple.

since a couple of driver releases, i only hope for bugfixes and new xorg/kernel support. i don't expect any new functionality from ati.
                    Last edited by yoshi314; 06-26-2007, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                      i only hope for bugfixes and new xorg/kernel support. i don't expect any new functionality from ati.
                      How can you hope only for that? I refuse to believe that ATi are that stupid. Besides, ain't it certain that the new OpenGL will come in August? That ought to be some sort of a "functionality".
                      Last edited by sundown; 06-26-2007, 02:44 AM.

Comment

that's just because all that waiting for all that new functionality worn me out.

i just don't care anymore. i'm tired of waiting.

besides i feel like being a unvoluntary beta tester. they give me a sub-par driver with lots of broken features and expect to deal with it.

btw. code is supposed to be shared across win and linux drivers (or maybe it isn't?). how come r600 support still didn't make it into linux?

i guess next release will be called "8.35 still does it better" :]
                        Last edited by yoshi314; 06-26-2007, 04:28 AM.

Comment

It seems like the composite extension is now available. See:
                          http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=48

The XVideo bugs from 8.36 and 8.37 are now fixed again and the gdm/kdm hardlock bug seems to be fixed completly in 8.38.6 now.

Comment

Originally posted by sundown View Post
                            ... I refuse to believe that ATi are that stupid...
                            To be honest, it is difficult for me to believe, they actually care about Linux support...

Comment

The release notes say that we still have to disable Composite?

Comment

Working...
                              X