Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.38.6 Display Driver Released -- The Least To Report On Driver In Two Years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Section "Module"
    Load "dbe"
    # Load "extmod"
    SubSection "extmod"
    Option "omit XVideo"
    Option "omit XVideo-MotionCompensation"
    Option "omit XFree86-VidModeExtension"
    EndSubSection
    Load "fbdevhw"
    Load "glx"
    Load "record"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "type1"
    Load "dri"
    EndSection

    X server hardlock problem solved by disabling xvideo as above.. still get DRI with 8.38.6.. phew!! at last after 6 months

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      The release notes say that we still have to disable Composite?
      From the release notes:

      Corruption may be observed with certain applications on some Linux distributions which enable the Composite extension by default, e.g., RHEL 5. If you are observing application corruption, please disable the Composite extension. Further details can be found in topic number 737-28224
      So, there maybe some problem for certain situation. However, interestingly, I manage to enable both Composite + DRI (for the first time)!

      Code:
      # grep Composite /var/log/Xorg.0.log
      (**) Extension "Composite" is enabled
      
      # grep DRI /var/log/Xorg.0.log
      (II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
      (**) fglrx(0): Option "NoDRI" "no"
      (**) fglrx(0): NoDRI = NO
      (II) Loading extension ATIFGLRXDRI
      (II) fglrx(0): doing DRIScreenInit
      (II) fglrx(0): DRIScreenInit done
      (II) fglrx(0): DRI initialization successfull!
      (II) fglrx(0): [DRI] installation complete
      So far, no problem yet...

      EDIT: Unfortunately, if I run xcompmgr -c, I got a lot of screen corruption (as stated in the release notes). So, even though I can enable it in the xorg.conf, it is still not usable. But, I guess this can be reason to be hopeful. Maybe the next release will be better.
      Last edited by lenrek; 06-26-2007, 07:14 AM.

      Comment


      • #18
        hmm DRI+composite.. so this driver has something after all.. and my fglrx has worked for the first time after 8.32.5..

        Comment


        • #19
          I'm deeply disappointed with ATI that they did not fix their driver to work properly with Fedora 7. I understand that RHEL5 is more important from a commercial point of view. But wait a minute, RHEL5 is pretty much FC6. Wasn't that already working?! What were ATI's developers doing last month?! Clueless PHB directives withstanding, this release really should at least have had support for F7.

          ATI: assuming F7 support will be in the next release (and I'll prolly win the lottery too...) the driver is still lacking AIXGL. This story is getting very lame and one can read in comments here and on the web that people are getting rather tired with the way ATI is treating them.

          ATI: you are pushing your luck with your users and prospects beyond comprehension. You do realize that if you do not provide your market with the features they need that they will vote with their dollars (next time) when they need to buy a new GPU, right?

          ATI: do the right thing and release a new driver with X.org 1.3 (F7 and prolly others) support this week or at the most next week. It's the least you can do to compensate for your (hopefully still) loyal customers.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by karthikrg View Post
            hmm DRI+composite.. so this driver has something after all.. and my fglrx has worked for the first time after 8.32.5..
            Well... At least something new, after more than 1 and half year of using ATi...

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by lenrek View Post
              Well... At least something new, after more than 1 and half year of using ATi...
              so does support for composite mean we are getting nearer to AIGLX support in the near future?? I am hoping for something exciting to happen on the ati linux driver front esp. with the proposed openGL code rewrite release scheduled for aug. (acc 2 the rumour mills atleast)

              Comment


              • #22
                Those "crappy" 8600gts are starting to look better and better to me...
                Just maybe sometimes its better to not release anything than release something largely irrelevant. On a side note xorg 1.3 seems quite stable to me in Arch

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by lowlands View Post
                  ATI: do the right thing and release a new driver with X.org 1.3 (F7 and prolly others) support this week or at the most next week. It's the least you can do to compensate for your (hopefully still) loyal customers.
                  There will be no special driver release out in the next week or two.
                  Michael Larabel
                  http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Another useless driver release by ATI...

                    I feel sorry for you FC7 users...

                    People commenting about composite: it doesn't work correctly?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      If this driver isn't your cup of tea, name the next ATI driver: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3511
                      Michael Larabel
                      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Nicolas View Post
                        ...
                        People commenting about composite: it doesn't work correctly?
                        From my experience, it can be enabled, but not usable (screen corruptions all over the place).

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Does ANYONE read at ATI the comments that users fill on their site in the Linux Crew Feedback?
                          I get a feeling they all go directly to /dev/null.

                          It makes me sad that i have to downgrade to previous OS cause i can't use drivers. It makes me sad that i feel like a kid waiting a f****ing Christmas hoping to get bike and getting a ruler instead.

                          again... can they post a freaking RoadMap for the linux drivers? this way if i see that fglrx coming in 3 months and FC7 support in 5 months - i will sleep much better and will move on to the next things waiting with patience till the date on calendar.

                          Otherwise - it's really upsetting

                          PS. and no, i will not tolerate installing FC7 and downgrade only xorg, i would rather install FC6 back till better days.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by khakhovich View Post
                            Does ANYONE read at ATI the comments that users fill on their site in the Linux Crew Feedback?
                            I get a feeling they all go directly to /dev/null.

                            It makes me sad that i have to downgrade to previous OS cause i can't use drivers. It makes me sad that i feel like a kid waiting a f****ing Christmas hoping to get bike and getting a ruler instead.

                            again... can they post a freaking RoadMap for the linux drivers? this way if i see that fglrx coming in 3 months and FC7 support in 5 months - i will sleep much better and will move on to the next things waiting with patience till the date on calendar.

                            Otherwise - it's really upsetting

                            PS. and no, i will not tolerate installing FC7 and downgrade only xorg, i would rather install FC6 back till better days.
                            The comments from the feedback page are read, but not by the people who really should be reading them.

                            They will not be posting any roadmap. Your best bet is for the information I am able to pass along at Phoronix
                            Michael Larabel
                            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              The comments from the feedback page are read, but not by the people who really should be reading them.

                              They will not be posting any roadmap. Your best bet is for the information I am able to pass along at Phoronix
                              hahaha.... yeah wrong people read them - what a surprise !? this is very common to big companies

                              and i think my est bet would have been getting my Lenovo with Intel graphics or nvidia... eh well.

                              let's hope for another best bet - reading this forum.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Sorry fellas, i'm having period i guess today )
                                Just now, on my laptop booted to windows xp pro, went to ati site, find drivers, choose os, choose my card, latest driver says - we are sorry your system is not compatible with this release. Please contact your laptop vendor.

                                WHAT? WTF??? are they off their nut??

                                This is a bottom line - ati seem to be going down hill very fast.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X