Here's The Special AMD Present For Ubuntu Users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dagger View Post
    Reading stuff like this makes me happy I'm not an AMD user...
    Oh sorry, almost forgot...
    Reading this, followed by this, then this, this, this together with this, this, and finally seeing this (some folks apparently never learn eh?) makes me EXTREMELY happy I'm not an nvidia user...
    Though I couldn't find the FUD slides from the Kyro II days, and it felt redundant to dig info about how the Nouveau team works...
    Have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
      doesn't mean that we should blame the other distributions for what is going on repeatedly here.
      Point taken, though with regards to resource housekeeping, you may agree that applying the Pareto principle to fglrx is a pretty sound strategy, right?

Comment

Originally posted by mbouchar View Post
        I want that or a stable version of ubuntu xorg-edgers package...
        As it is now, each time i'm upgrading my ubuntu natty, I don't know if the system will reboot or if the radeon driver will crash on me
        1. Don't run a pre-beta distro if you don't like breakage.
        2. Don't run xorg-edgers PPA if you don't like breakage.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          They're going to support only the well known major distros with a lot of customers. That basically means Ubuntu and Redhat for the most part. RHEL *is* supported -- doesn't need the "beta" releases, and the RH product most in need of the "beta" releases is Fedora, which doesn't ***WANT*** the blob driver. That basically means that its going to be all about ubuntu.
          Catalyst goes into RPM Fusion on Fedora, just like the Nvidia blob. Nvidia has no problem with this.

The whole closed source process by AMD is completely backwards. Fglrx should be scrapped; it's a huge joke.

Comment

@Vi0L0

How did you compile this mplayer with vaapi support? Usually the official mplayer vaapi from january 2011 is:

mplayer|head

MPlayer SVN-r32819-4.3.2 (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team

but yours is much newer? Did you check vainfo?

Comment

did anybody try this yet?
              after installing this unity doesnt launch and if a launch compiz manually i have black squares all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                Why can't nvidia do what AMD does and release documentation, instead of some blob whenever they feel like it?
                See, goes both ways...

Anyway, it's the same f***ing circus every damn month when fglrx comes out... Does one have to club the whiners senseless with a lamp post before they finally get the "2 different companies, 2 different policies" part?
                hehe don't get me wrong, I'm not saying nVidia is perfect example here. Far away form it actually. All I'm saying is that if you're releasing beta driver - do it so everyone can test it and provide feedback, not just a ONE distro. nVidia guys got the message long time ago.
                Rob
                email: dagger@gentoo.org

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
                  did anybody try this yet?
                  after installing this unity doesnt launch and if a launch compiz manually i have black squares all over the place.
                  I am making PKGBUILD for arch atm. Successfully tested fglrx kernel module coexistence with i915 with nomodeset option. 2.6.38 kernel.

I'll post here as soon as i get it working

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    @Vi0L0

How did you compile this mplayer with vaapi support? Usually the official mplayer vaapi from january 2011 is:

mplayer|head

MPlayer SVN-r32819-4.3.2 (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team

but yours is much newer? Did you check vainfo?
                    I'm using mplayer-vaapi from arch's [community-testing] repository.
                    iirc it is mplayer 33025 patched with mplayer-vaapi 20110127.
                    It was always working fine for me, also with catalyst 10.3.

Code:
                    $ vainfo
                    libva: libva version 0.32.0
                    Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
                    libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
                    libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_drv_video.so
                    libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
                    vainfo: VA API version: 0.32
                    vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.7.8
                    vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
                          VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
                          VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD
                    Does it mean that vaapi works fine for you?

Comment

Originally posted by dagger View Post
                      hehe don't get me wrong, I'm not saying nVidia is perfect example here. Far away form it actually. All I'm saying is that if you're releasing beta driver - do it so everyone can test it and provide feedback, not just a ONE distro. nVidia guys got the message long time ago.
                      Well Ubuntu gets a special driver anyway, so it's kind of different from "a" beta driver, more like "the beta Ubuntu" driver.
                      Have you applied as a beta tester for the "standard" fglrx?

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
                        1. Don't run a pre-beta distro if you don't like breakage.
                        2. Don't run xorg-edgers PPA if you don't like breakage.
                        That's either that or having my GPU fan at 100% all the time, so either way, there is breakage... except that with xorg-edgers I have a working system for approximately half the time.

Comment

works fine here, compiz and wobbly windows aswell. ati 5770
                          but using ubuntu classic session instead of that unity stuff.

at least finally amd..i waited so long to upgrade

Comment

Does the libgl redirection mean fglrx will now play nicely with the FOSS driver? Previously, having fglrx installed meant you couldn't launch X with the "radeon" driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Vi0L0 View Post
                              I'm using mplayer-vaapi from arch's [community-testing] repository.
                              iirc it is mplayer 33025 patched with mplayer-vaapi 20110127.
                              It was always working fine for me, also with catalyst 10.3.

Code:
                              $ vainfo
                              libva: libva version 0.32.0
                              Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
                              libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
                              libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_drv_video.so
                              libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
                              vainfo: VA API version: 0.32
                              vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.7.8
                              vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
                                    VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
                                    VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD
                              Does it mean that vaapi works fine for you?
                              I can also confirm VAAPI (with xvba-video) isn't working with Catalyst 11.4 beta + latest mplayer-vaapi (version 33161) in 2 of my systems. At least using Arch.

With a mobility radeon HD2600 + Arch x86_64 or a HD4650AGP + Arch i686, both my systems gave me a CPU/FPU error (or something alike) when running mplayer-vaapi via console (to play a 1080p mkv sample)... (it was the first time my HD4650AGP didn't work with VAAPI).
                              As a consequence, I downgraded both drivers and Xorg server versions, and now everything's working fine again (HD2600 + Catalyst 10.7 and HD4650 + Catalyst 11.2)...

Cheers

Comment

Can't find DRM module

Originally posted by admiral0 View Post
                                I am making PKGBUILD for arch atm. Successfully tested fglrx kernel module coexistence with i915 with nomodeset option. 2.6.38 kernel.

I'll post here as soon as i get it working
                                Trying here on Debian, had to recompile the kernel with BKL enabled, then the DKMS module built fine.

I tried with the usual "aticonfig --initial" to create a config file, then ran startx, I got this

[ 17.098] (II) Loading sub module "fglrxdrm"
                                [ 17.098] (II) LoadModule: "fglrxdrm"
                                [ 17.099] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fglrxdrm
                                [ 17.099] (II) UnloadModule: "fglrxdrm"
                                [ 17.099] (II) Unloading fglrxdrm

The fglrx kernel module itself is loaded fine though. This was the case both when using the package I compiled myself and the Ubuntu Natty repository one. Anyone any clue as to what's happening here?

Comment

Working...
                                X