AMD's Catalyst Misses The Support Train, Again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spykes View Post
    It would be better if it was working for the users too.
    Joke apart, what I expect from AMD as a user, is to have the same support level Nvidia brings to its hardware. For now, they still fall short on this objective.
    Nvidia has its fair share of problems too. I've never had AMD drivers cook the card.
    I suspect what you mean is that both companies fall short of the ideal levels for users.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
      I suspect what you mean is that both companies fall short of the ideal levels for users.
      I agree with that, but let's be honest, on the proprietary stuff Nvidia does a globally better job than AMD.
      When I buy a Nvidia card, I'm pretty sure it's gonna work with my latest distribution of choice, and that I will have 3D acceleration with it.
      It's less true with an AMD card.

Comment

Originally posted by spykes View Post
        I agree with that, but let's be honest, on the proprietary stuff Nvidia does a globally better job than AMD.
        When I buy a Nvidia card, I'm pretty sure it's gonna work with my latest distribution of choice, and that I will have 3D acceleration with it.
        It's less true with an AMD card.
        Although I personally have always had fewer problems with AMD cards, you're probably right there. Still, AMD are catching up fast, so we'll see what it's like in another couple of months (though I doubt the video accel scene will change much that fast).

Comment

Originally posted by accumulator View Post
          What's wrong with sticking to your half year old distribution for a few months longer? Support is there if you need it, just not for the bleeding edge, but some just want it all, for free, now. Now that's sad.
          Support is lacking also in older distros. Tear-free compositing is still not supported correctly. H.264 acceleration is still lacking.

Comment

A Catalyst 11.4 special build just dropped in Ubuntu natty with Kernel 2.6.38/Xserver 1.10 support.

Comment

note to anyone planning on installing the pre-release driver in natty, make sure you add the unity daily ppa or it will not work (only classic mode/no compiz will)

Comment

i test the catalyst 11.5 pre ubuntu 11.04 release on my hd4650/AGP system and i just got an blackscreen...

on this agp system the fglrx in the ubuntu 11.04 repo just do not work.

but hey... i just purge the catalyst and the xorg-config and enjoy my working radeon driver ...

maybe the real catalyst 11.5 installer work for this agp system on my old nforcepro3600 opteron system the catalyst allways do not work in that whay only if i install the driver from the real catalyst installer.

Comment

Working...
                X