SB700 high temperature problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't bump... its not polite :-)

Anyway I have an Acer 5332u ... that has an SB700 and also gets extremely hot and hangs if I don't have the CPU throttled and have good airflow under it. And yes its worse without the catalyst drivers installed. Ubuntu 10.10

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
      Don't bump... its not polite :-)

Anyway I have an Acer 5332u ... that has an SB700 and also gets extremely hot and hangs if I don't have the CPU throttled and have good airflow under it. And yes its worse without the catalyst drivers installed. Ubuntu 10.10
      Sorry
      I'm so sad because of this problem. In a new attempt I searched my desk and found a copy of FreeBSD 7.2. I brought the laptop up with FreeBSD 7.2 and after about 4.5 minute, the HDD bay under my laptop was too hot, and although I didn't have any way of measuring temperatures, I could sense that it's too hot, like always without AMD drivers.
      So:
      AHCI power management in SB700 chipset is different to other chipsets, and it needs a special driver. How can I find/write something for it?
      Thanks again.

Comment

You could download the chipset docs and start poking random registers with setpci.. not sure if that's gonna get you very far though. I doubt that there's a magical use less power switch.

http://developer.amd.com/documentati...t.aspx#chipset

Comment

Originally posted by chefkoch View Post
          You could download the chipset docs and start poking random registers with setpci.. not sure if that's gonna get you very far though. I doubt that there's a magical use less power switch.

http://developer.amd.com/documentati...t.aspx#chipset
          Well..., This is embracing! In the link you mentioned, clicking on AMD SB700/710/750 Register Reference Guide on firefox needs a password!!!! and on chromium won't open!
          This is not a good behavior!
          Any Idea?

Comment

Originally posted by ario View Post
            Well..., This is embracing! In the link you mentioned, clicking on AMD SB700/710/750 Register Reference Guide on firefox needs a password!!!! and on chromium won't open!
            This is not a good behavior!
            Any Idea?
            By the way, I tried openning it directly from google search though. For now, reading it

Comment

Sorry guys, I'm a little scared! I found something about power management there, but before any attempt, is it safe to modify chipset register values using setpci?

Comment

Originally posted by ario View Post
                Sorry guys, I'm a little scared! I found something about power management there, but before any attempt, is it safe to modify chipset register values using setpci?
                If it doesn't work, reboot. Just don't let it overheat if something goes funny.

Comment

Yeah .. permanent damage is pretty unlikely.

Sorry about the links.. either that's new or I also used google to access them last time.

Comment

Latest PowerTOP?

What does PowerTOP report? Latest build (1.97) is available here for Ubuntu/Debian:

http://packages.debian.org/sid/powertop

Check out the Tunables tab and see what it says.

Comment

*too lazy to read thread* but how do you know that your SB is 'too hot'?

Comment

Ok.. I got curious so I taped a thermistor from an old mobo to the heatsink and attached a multimeter. I can't actually tell the temperature that way but it responds to smallish temperature differences pretty well.

anyway .. according to page 17 in the rrg, bit 0 to 5 of sata controller register 0x42 determine which ports to enable. If I disable the unused 3 ports I gain about 200ohm on my "thermometer" ..I think that's about 3-5C. On a laptop unused ports may already be disabled though.

I used this command: setpci -s 00:11.0 0x42.b=0x38

I tried some of the other things on page 17
                        "Enable Dynamic Interface Clock Power Saving" didn't make a difference
                        "Enable Dynamic Sata Core Power Saving" seems to shut down the link completely until I disable it again.
                        Maybe these need to be set during boot or they need driver support.. dunno

Comment

Originally posted by nacho View Post
                          What does PowerTOP report? Latest build (1.97) is available here for Ubuntu/Debian:

http://packages.debian.org/sid/powertop

Check out the Tunables tab and see what it says.
                          Thanks. I will check that, although I think that it will not help. This seems not a problem solvable via user space applications like powertop.
                          But thank you so much indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                            *too lazy to read thread* but how do you know that your SB is 'too hot'?
                            Lazy? SB is somewhere accessible in my laptop, I can touch it, I can touch my HDD too, HDD is 62C, and SB is as hot as HDD. I also can use a thermometer, but... anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by chefkoch View Post
                              Ok.. I got curious so I taped a thermistor from an old mobo to the heatsink and attached a multimeter. I can't actually tell the temperature that way but it responds to smallish temperature differences pretty well.

anyway .. according to page 17 in the rrg, bit 0 to 5 of sata controller register 0x42 determine which ports to enable. If I disable the unused 3 ports I gain about 200ohm on my "thermometer" ..I think that's about 3-5C. On a laptop unused ports may already be disabled though.

I used this command: setpci -s 00:11.0 0x42.b=0x38

I tried some of the other things on page 17
                              "Enable Dynamic Interface Clock Power Saving" didn't make a difference
                              "Enable Dynamic Sata Core Power Saving" seems to shut down the link completely until I disable it again.
                              Maybe these need to be set during boot or they need driver support.. dunno
                              Man, your a hero! God bless you!
                              Let me try them myself. I will report my results

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                                If it doesn't work, reboot. Just don't let it overheat if something goes funny.
                                Thanks for the tip indeed

Comment

Working...
                                X