AMD Zacate E-350

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hardware acceleration

I was only able to achieve satisfactory video playback for 720p mkvs by uninstalling Compiz on my Sony Vaio YB1 with an E350.

I would be extremely grateful if someone could post a detailed how-to on how to offload video rendering to the GPU...

Comment

Ethernet performance

Hi!

I'm thinking about building a small file server using these small motherboards.
      Does anyone have some numbers on real world performance like:
      - copy some files over Ethernet (samba or nfs) to/from disk
      - copy some files over Ethernet (samba or nfs) to/from ramdisk

Thanks,

Comment

My E-350 also serves as a fileserver. NFS for the linux clients and samba for the windows world.

As primary boot medium I use a Solid State Disk with 60GB. The files are stored on a 2TB WD20EARS drive. This drive is fully encrypted using dm-crypt AES XTS and 512 bit chiffre blocks.

I could get approx 40MB/s transfered over Ethernet - but it is "that" slow because of the crypto stuff. I think unencrypted you really could get maximum of Gigabit Ethernet.

I/O performance is quite good - let's wait for UVD3 full support on the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by fritsch View Post
          My E-350 also serves as a fileserver. NFS for the linux clients and samba for the windows world.

As primary boot medium I use a Solid State Disk with 60GB. The files are stored on a 2TB WD20EARS drive. This drive is fully encrypted using dm-crypt AES XTS and 512 bit chiffre blocks.

I could get approx 40MB/s transfered over Ethernet - but it is "that" slow because of the crypto stuff. I think unencrypted you really could get maximum of Gigabit Ethernet.

I/O performance is quite good - let's wait for UVD3 full support on the other side.
          Since yesterday i also have a custom HTPC setup with the Fusion E-350 chip and so far it works really nice! Even VAAPI (in xbmc) works awesome without tearing! However, when i disable vaapi and use software rendering i get tearing and (naturally) a high cpu load. I can't turn "tear free" on since it tells me i have to little vram

Comment

Sorry for the OT question. But, how useful is it to encrypt the data of a samba server? How/where is the password for decryption entered?
            I'm asking because on my samba file server every Windows client must have access to the stored data when the server is switched on. If the password is on the system then it would get stolen together with the hardware and the encryption would be useless.

Cheers,
            mibo

Comment

I did not say that clearly,

The drive is dm-crypted. When the server boots it asks the administrator for a password. After Entering it, the drive is unlocked. No samba user nor nfs user even "knows" that his mounted shares are encrypted in any way.

Comment

Hi,
                thanks for the input.
                That chip does 512bit AES at 40MBytes/sec? That's very good. 2x better than I was expecting.

My current setup, with an "AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+" and aes-xts-plain 256bits returns this:
                $ sync ; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches ; dd if=backup117.bin of=/dev/null bs=1M
                233+1 records in
                233+1 records out
                244697088 bytes (245 MB) copied, 2.49109 s, 98.2 MB/s

IIRC, with 512bit AES this setup did 40MBytes/sec too.

Let's wait for GPU assisted AES!!!! :-)

Thanks,

Comment

Just for the record:

Code:
                  root@host:~# cryptsetup status media
                  /dev/mapper/media is active:
                    cipher:  aes-xts-plain
                    keysize: 512 bits
                    device:  /dev/sda1
                    offset:  4040 sectors
                    size:    3907022904 sectors
                    mode:    read/write
                  Code:
                  root@host:~# hdparm -tT /dev/mapper/media
                  /dev/mapper/media:
                   Timing cached reads:   1642 MB in  2.00 seconds = 820.48 MB/sec
                   Timing buffered disk reads:  110 MB in  3.02 seconds =  36.38 MB/sec
                  Approx 40MB/s - better 35MB/s ....

I will retest over network, when the gigabit connection is back.

Comment

Not sure about using hdparm to test luks devices.

My Athlon outputs this:

Code:
                    # hdparm -tT /dev/mapper/vol1

/dev/mapper/vol1:
                     Timing cached reads:   2010 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1005.43 MB/sec
                     Timing buffered disk reads:  106 MB in  3.06 seconds =  34.65 MB/sec
                    Maybe you can test with some files?
                    Thanks,

Comment

When the server boots it asks the administrator for a password. After Entering it, the drive is unlocked. No samba user nor nfs user even "knows" that his mounted shares are encrypted in any way.
                      Thank you.

Comment

Standard dd test (from /dev/zero onto the mounted dmcrypt device)

Code:
                        root@host:/media/data/tosort# dd if=/dev/zero of=test1gb.dat bs=1M count=1000
                        1000+0 Datensätze ein
                        1000+0 Datensätze aus
                        1048576000 Bytes (1,0 GB) kopiert, 22,7055 s, 46,2 MB/s
                        Copy 1GB File from SSD to dm-crypt ((file not in memory))
                        Code:
                        root@host:~# time cp test1gb.dat /media/data/tosort/

real	0m31.584s
                        user	0m0.060s
                        sys	0m6.090s

=> 32.4MB/s
                        Copy 1GB file from dm-crypt to ssd:
                        Code:
                        root@host:~# time cp /media/data/tosort/test1gb.dat /home/me/

real	0m28.669s
                        user	0m0.060s
                        sys	0m6.520

=> 35.7MB/s

It is clear to me, that these measurements are of no statistically relevance (hat to do at least 284 times the same, sum up and build average, with cleaning caches in between) - but the point into the correct direction :-)

I think one should get reasonable values between 33MB/s and 45MB/s

Comment

I also have just setup my Asus E35M1-M PRO. I installed debian and am running XBMC 10.0. The va-api does do wonders with my blu-ray quality (1080p) content however some lag does occur. I might try some overclocking or something. If anyone has any tips or questions ill be happy to reply.

Comment

Acceralted Video

Does VA-API work out of the box with the latest proprietary drivers and XBMC (stable or built from the latest git?)

-Lyle

Comment

Originally posted by s0rce View Post
                              Does VA-API work out of the box with the latest proprietary drivers and XBMC (stable or built from the latest git?)

-Lyle
                              Well it will work and display video however, there is a bug in version 10 where not enough surfaces are created. This causes some frames to skip back and forth. There is a bug report here that contains a patch. This is currently scheduled to be in release 11.0, but i applied it to 10.1 and video playback is very smooth now. This is a very capable chip. The only downside I find is when your watching blue-ray's and trying to move around the menu's things slow down and the cpu usage jumps up alot. This is to be expected thou and I am confident can be fixed eventually.

Comment

Hi all,

I just bought this card in the hope of running a NAS + htpc config but so far I have had no luck. I have spent about 30 hours in the last 2 days with no success...

I tried Sabayon distribution which gave me the best results: everything working out of the box, but once I updated the system it was no longer working...

I am now running debian 6 because this is my every day's OS and feel at ease with it, however I am not a Linux power user.
                                [*]Right now, I am using fglrx drivers 11.3 from ATI website, my desktop is in working in full HD with direct rendering activated. I have black borders, but used the "ugly fix" on my TV settings in order to remove those bars.
                                [*]I don't have any sound, and in alsamixer in only shows the SPDIF "sound card". I wish I could use the sound over HDMI.
                                [*]In XBMC, VAAPI is enabled in the settings but isn't working during playback: huge CPU load and stuff. I compiled and installed splitted desktop version of gstreamer, didn't help.

I am totally clueless and willing to give all the command line outputs you want or need to help me.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Comment

Working...
                                X