problem with Radeon AH 4650 (agp)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anfanglir View Post
    xorg.conf is listed in post 6 above (end of post)
    Woops my bad... Looking good at any rate.
    The HD4650 AGP requires extra power through a 4- or 6-pin connector doesn't it?
    About the 350W Antec, I had one (Smartpower line I suppose?). It litterally exploded, even if it's not the cause of your troubles you might want to change it
    A Corsair CX500 should do. Good build at a bargain, 2 years warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
      Woops my bad... Looking good at any rate.
      The HD4650 AGP requires extra power through a 4- or 6-pin connector doesn't it?
      About the 350W Antec, I had one (Smartpower line I suppose?). It litterally exploded, even if it's not the cause of your troubles you might want to change it
      A Corsair CX500 should do. Good build at a bargain, 2 years warranty.
      Yes, it requires an extra power connector...
      Cheers

Comment

OK so upgraded to a 500w PSU. No change, still hangs at startup. Finally tired of this so I installed XP (!), loaded the Catalyst drivers, rebooted, and... uhhm yea XP also hangs at startup.

So tomorrow I go shopping for a new motherboard and and new PCU. As I feel I have to make use of the new 4650, I'm aiming at a Asrock 4coredual MB, coz it have both AGP and PCIE slots.

:\ Anfanglir

Comment

OK so upgraded to a 500w PSU. No change, still hangs at startup. Finally tired of this so I installed XP (!), loaded the Catalyst drivers, rebooted, and... uhhm yea XP also hangs at startup.

So tomorrow I go shopping for a new motherboard and and new PCU. As I feel I have to make use of the new 4650, I'm aiming at a Asrock 4coredual MB, coz it have both AGP and PCIE slots.

Does your system hangs at startup?! At least, does it reboot automatically on XP? If so, it might be an hardware failure... (XP reboots automatically if there's a BSOD / HW driver failure).

If I were you, I'd ask for a refund for your HD4650 (if you can do it), and I'd bought a HD4650 PCI-E... (they're cheaper)

Cheers

Comment

Update your mb BIOS.
            Experiment disabling AGP Aperture completely.
            4650 is not true AGP card but has a chip to transfer. Maybe it is the root of problem.
            Does 9700 worked well?
            4650 only requires extra power because AGP provides far less amperage than PCIe. PCIe version only from 4770 want extra juice.

If you live in germany and want, I have nvidia 6800 128mb agp card lying around, I could sell it to you for very symbolic price. I also have old barton 2500+ one of remarked bartons that easily work at 3200+ and around 1Gb of ddr1 RAM(512+512). NF-7S is seeks the owner too

As alternative consider either intel Exxx dualcore chips(e5200 for example) with p45/p43 boards, or amd Athlon II chips - they are cheap and strong solutions.

I think you have some hardware (setup) issue.

Comment

Do yourself a hugue favor ditch all AGP stuff you have. AGP is broken all over the place. AGP was never properly implemented, all bridge have bugs and all bugs are different. Sadly sales people in AMD thought it would be good to keep selling AGP and pretend they support it, i am pretty sure driver people in AMD doesn't bother about AGP.

So for peace in world and to improve your karma please ditch AGP.

Comment

Originally posted by glisse View Post
                Do yourself a hugue favor ditch all AGP stuff you have. AGP is broken all over the place. AGP was never properly implemented, all bridge have bugs and all bugs are different. Sadly sales people in AMD thought it would be good to keep selling AGP and pretend they support it, i am pretty sure driver people in AMD doesn't bother about AGP.

So for peace in world and to improve your karma please ditch AGP.
                Yes, maybe it's broken, even more if you're using Mesa drivers (which is not the case of this guy)...

I've the same card as him and I've it working properly in an Arch i686 (with Catalyst 10.12) installation + an Intel P4 overclocked at 3.6GHz + an Asus P4C800-Deluxe mobo. Maybe his problem is more related to the hardware configuration than software...
                (Also, on Windows XP (this computer is also a dual-boot machine), I've the Standard Asus drivers that were provided by the CD, and so far, no problems)...

Cheers and Merry Xmas!

Comment

Working...
                X