To the AMD people: Money wasted.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldar View Post
    I'm a current nvidia user(an old yet quite a capable geforce 7600 card) and I never had problems with it. But it's time to upgrade now, and I'm considering AMD too, because I have AMD CPU and I had an ATI card long ago, prior to switching to linux.

I'm choosing between newly released Geforce GTX 570 and Radeon HD 6950. Both have their pros and cons. according to the reviews nvidia's gpu has more potential since it has a better geometry block, while AMD has a good performance in today's games and is cheaper and also will match my CPU. The thing is though that when it comes to linux, with NVIDIA I'm qute sure about drivers quality(I also use NVIDIA at work on my linux workstation, 3D is nice and slick), I get this newly released gpu accelerated flash videos, opengl performance is proven to be very good. When it comes to AMD, I hear about problems, in fact I already experienced some on my Radeon HD 4290 - which is integrated to my motherboard.
    Then there is this games-on-wine issue. I don't agree with what people say here, that it's a too stretched goal, the programs that are designed to run on Windows shouldn't necesserily work smoothly on linux. From what I understand with Wine all DirectX is translated to OpenGL, and because of nature of such translation, it can be quite rigorous - which as a result exposes bugs in a driver. I don't blame anyone for bugs, as I am a programmer myself and I know what it is like, but let's not deny them at least.

So what would you advice me towards the choice on my next GPU? AMD appeals to me a lot with their politics(giving specs to the opensource developers, supporting open standards like OpenCL etc) while the situation on linux kinda puts me off. I am certainly ok with the fact that it isn't all working right now, but the overall situation is improving. But of course I have no desire to wait and fight with bugs for years until my GPU gets obsolete...
    I think AMD ie working hard, but right now I would not buy an Radeon HD 6950, to use on linux.
    Wait a few months.

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
      an amd one.

the most interesting think for linux is the radeon OS linux driver.
      but the 6970 is really new and a new gpu architecture.
      the 6870 is the old architecture and no OS driver yet.
      amd fusion/hd5870 is fine right now i think the 6870 support comes next month and the 6970 support needs more than 3months.

why not buy an amd card with OS driver support right now without waiting ?

the 5870 do have a price drop in germany 220 now.
      To do that you got to have a distro like Arch or go Ubuntu to use the PPAs as no current main repo have the necessary kernel, mesa, and drivers that enable this stuff. That may not suit everyone. Especially since they are buggy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mirv View Post
        They could add 20 more developers and people would still complain. So why waste the money?
        Unfortunately it's also the case of that sometimes, too many developers can be a bad thing - sometimes you need a small core group to bring cohesion to the project until it's in a more suitable state.
        Then, of course, you need people who know what they're doing as well - but I'm not sure that's such a big problem for them.

Not saying any of that does or does not apply to AMD's open source drivers, just wanted to illustrate that it's not always as easy as throwing developers at the problem.
        Ghee, I wonder why...

Comment

• uh...often because people have different coding styles, different opinions to how things are done, are at different levels of training, may not be aware of what everyone is doing - should I go on?
          There's plenty of reasons why you can't just throw developers at a problem.
          But then, I'm aware you're just trolling and being childish.

Comment

the most interesting think for linux is the radeon OS linux driver.
            but the 6970 is really new and a new gpu architecture.
            the 6870 is the old architecture and no OS driver yet.

why not buy an amd card with OS driver support right now without waiting ?
            I didn't quite get you, aren't both 68xx and 69xx a new gpu architecture, and the latter just being a bigger and more performant chip?

I don't want to go for 5xxx series simply because it's a year old, and there's no point in buying something that's been superceeded by a newer generation already. And I don't really want to rely on opensource drivers, because of their lack of proper OpenGL and OpenCL support. And things like KMS don't buy me at all, so I really want a good proprietary driver.

Originally posted by Gps4l
            Wait a few months.
            Well, again that's one more thing which may turn me away from ATI. NVIDIA has already released a driver for GTX 570 that came out a week ago. That's a level of support, that I would like to have. In 6 months AMD will already give us next generation of graphics cards and it becomes a joke to wait a few months for this generation to become fully functional. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by mirv View Post
              uh...often because people have different coding styles, different opinions to how things are done, are at different levels of training, may not be aware of what everyone is doing - should I go on?
              There's plenty of reasons why you can't just throw developers at a problem.
              But then, I'm aware you're just trolling and being childish.
              1. You are reading my post wrong. It is sarcastic. I mean that everyone complains regardless of dev count because not one card works right and they only began serious work on drivers that older than I am not so long ago.

2. Sticks and stones...

Comment

I didn't quite get you, aren't both 68xx and 69xx a new gpu architecture, and the latter just being a bigger and more performant chip?

I don't want to go for 5xxx series simply because it's a year old, and there's no point in buying something that's been superceeded by a newer generation already. And I don't really want to rely on opensource drivers, because of their lack of proper OpenGL and OpenCL support. And things like KMS don't buy me at all, so I really want a good proprietary driver.

Well, again that's one more thing which may turn me away from ATI. NVIDIA has already released a driver for GTX 570 that came out a week ago. That's a level of support, that I would like to have. In 6 months AMD will already give us next generation of graphics cards and it becomes a joke to wait a few months for this generation to become fully functional. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

No. you are spot on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr James View Post
                  To do that you got to have a distro like Arch or go Ubuntu to use the PPAs as no current main repo have the necessary kernel, mesa, and drivers that enable this stuff. That may not suit everyone. Especially since they are buggy.
                  come one linux users are not micky mouse kindergarden.

yes you need xorg-edgers for ubuntu ppa yes you need the newest kernel for the opensource driver and yes you can not use this driver on an old distri.

and yes if you are use a hd5xxx on ubuntu 10.10 with an 2.6.35 kernel its buggy YES but only because the dristi is to old upgrade to 2.6.36/.37 and the system runs stable.

and yes the catalyst really need the version 2011.1 for tearfree Xv/flash usage.

Comment

• Wait, I thought that Catalyst supported HD6000 stuff?

What are you talking about? OSS drivers or Catalyst?

Comment

I didn't quite get you, aren't both 68xx and 69xx a new gpu architecture,
                      the hd68xx is the old 5D+1complex architecture right just get more cache for the tesselation unit and other little stuff.

the hd69xx do have a new architecture 4D and every part do have a complex unit.

Originally posted by eldar View Post
                      and the latter just being a bigger and more performant chip?
                      your thinking is just wrong the hd6870 is smaler and the performance is only better in consumer stuff thats because the hd6870 can not handle 64bit in hardware like the hd5870 and the hd6870 is slower in texturespeed and the hd6870 do not have 2-4GB vram.

the hd5870 is really faster and more complex and bigger than the 6870.

the 6870 is cheap yes thats the good part.

I don't want to go for 5xxx series simply because it's a year old, and there's no point in buying something that's been superceeded by a newer generation already.
                      not all hd6000 cards are a new generation the 6300 fusions are hd5000 techics and the hd 6870 is the old architecture to.

only the hd6970 is the new architecture.

And I don't really want to rely on opensource drivers, because of their lack of proper OpenGL and OpenCL support. And things like KMS don't buy me at all, so I really want a good proprietary driver.
                      there is no official support in the catalyst for the hd6870 and 6970 yet.

if opensource don't matter feel free to buy an nvidia.

Comment

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                        Wait, I thought that Catalyst supported HD6000 stuff?

I was asking about Catalyst driver. I'm hoping that catalyst should support them very soon if not already. And since Catalyst on linux and on windows share the same codebase, that should be true of course. Any thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                          Wait, I thought that Catalyst supported HD6000 stuff?

in my knowelege you get a wathermark "this hardware is not supportet by your driver version"

and hd6870 is not the hd6970

Comment

I was asking about Catalyst driver. I'm hoping that catalyst should support them very soon if not already. And since Catalyst on linux and on windows share the same codebase, that should be true of course. Any thoughts?
                            the windows release driver for the hd6970 is an alpha 2011.1 catalyst

means the linux driver get the same code base with the 2011.1 catalyst.

Comment

the windows release driver for the hd6970 is an alpha 2011.1 catalyst

means the linux driver get the same code base with the 2011.1 catalyst.
                              Well, ok, but the sales for 69xx has already started. How people are supposed to use the cards if driver support will only appear in January?

Comment

• Anyway, even if drivers for linux will be released in January, I'm more than happy with that. My other questions still stand, will buying an AMD card(in particular 6950) be an overall fit for linux?

Comment

Working...
                                X