'Juddery' application windows after a new linux installation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Panix, you started looking when HD4xxx were just out, HD6xxx will be out in October.

Then you can either pick up a cheap HD5xxx, or continue with wondering why the drivers suck on HD6xxx. I see where this is going
    Before I was upgrading a card I already had. Now, I virtually have no card. I am currently using my laptop. I have an older legacy ATI card that I had loaned out but I'd rather use a more 'up-to-date' card.

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    @Panix

The 5670 is definitely the worst choice for that you can buy... I have got one and thats no card for video playback...

Then, which card is a decent choice for under $100?

I suppose GT 220/240??????

Comment

Then use your old ati card, because that can work with ati oss and that allows nice playback - just dont install fglrx.

Comment

Then use your old ati card, because that can work with ati oss and that allows nice playback - just dont install fglrx.
        Yes, I know fglrx drivers are not supported for the particular ATI card I have - X300SE. I think it is RV370. I haven't used it for eons, though. I guess I will find out what performance/playback is like with it.

Comment

xv should be fine with it and gl fast enough for xbmc. I would expect less problems than when you wanted to use fglrx when your cpu is not at the limit with software decoding.

Comment

xv should be fine with it and gl fast enough for xbmc. I would expect less problems than when you wanted to use fglrx when your cpu is not at the limit with software decoding.
            What about 3D and other?

The card needs to be able to run...

Inkscape, GIMP, Google-Earth, Cinelerra, and Blender to name a few...

That's in addition to the 2D video players and editors.

My laptop's card is a Radeon 9000 so how much better is the X300SE?

Comment

2d apps do always work, just try your apps, not really hard to do or?

Comment

2d apps do always work, just try your apps, not really hard to do or?
                No box to test just yet. It sounds like this card and the FOSS drivers are pretty lousy.

http://www.ge.ubuntuforums.org/showt...=X300SE&page=3

Comment

I think I remember seeing mention of Compiz options that will handle screens bigger than the 3D engine's texture size (hardware) limit, which IIRC is 2048x2048 on X300.

Don't remember the details though... anyone ?

Comment

Stupid edit limit.

Anyways, Karmic didn't work with fglrx either so this sounds like settings lost during the upgrade to Lucid rather than a driver issue. The post suggests that the user had the second monitor when running Karmic but the same hardware limit would have applied.

Comment

Working...
                    X