X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

edit..........

Comment

Originally posted by voltaicsca View Post
      Awesome! Great information. I think that answers all of my questions, and have ordered a Sapphire 5770 card with a G9857C219-013T-H eyefinity certified displayport to dvi adapter.

I'm looking forward to getting it all setup.
      And that'll teach me for not reading further down the thread before replying.

Well, got it all setup, and it is sweet!

Fixed all of my problems and complaints about using xinerama and 2 video cards except that I still can't fullscreen a flash video to the center monitor (it kinda halfway shows up bigger on the left monitor) ... any ideas?
      Good to hear the cards working well.

Roll on 10.10

Comment

Well, got it all setup, and it is sweet!

Fixed all of my problems and complaints about using xinerama and 2 video cards except that I still can't fullscreen a flash video to the center monitor (it kinda halfway shows up bigger on the left monitor) ... any ideas?
        If you use KDE it'll open up the full screen flash on the current monitor, so if your browser's on the middle screen and you full screen the video it should full screen to the middle one.

Or at least it did for me, but I'm currently using Ubuntu now.

Comment

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
          2D performance I find quite good with some exceptions.
          Window resizing becomes terribly slow, as in two seconds between redraws once you go beyond a certain window size and sometimes this becomes more evident depending on how much video RAM is consumed via other windows.
          I haven't noticed any of this on my 5870. Then again I'm not using compiz.

I don't miss Xinerama at all and when ATI's drivers mature the best way to avoid it for a triple head setup will be via an ATI card.
          For sure.

I could achieve this via two nVidia cards without Xinerama and would only mean I wouldn't be able to drag windows from the double monitor desktop to the single one which isn't a problem on the ATI card, but there are rendering issues though with ATI.
          I have to use multiple nvidia GPUs at work and having to run the separate X screens without xinerama is a pain, let me tell you. I would almost be ok with living with the software accelerated xinerama just to get around it, but not quite.

Over time performance degrades the longer my uptime. I get the feeling there might be some quirks in the drivers memory management perhaps. But after a couple of days up a reboot brings back the spritelyness.
          Again, I've not seen any of this behavior.

I drive my third monitor via an active DisplayPort to DVI adapter. When staring video playback via some software (it'll be because the the playback mode the software's using), the DisplayPort gets re-initialised in some way causing that monitor to become black momentary. Annoying but not a real problem in itself.
          The same thing happens to all of my monitors (one native display port, one HDMI, and one DVI): they all go blank for about a second if I turn on one of the three monitors. So I don't think it's a problem only with the DisplayPort/adapter.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish View Post
            The same thing happens to all of my monitors (one native display port, one HDMI, and one DVI): they all go blank for about a second if I turn on one of the three monitors. So I don't think it's a problem only with the DisplayPort/adapter.
            Myself and some others over on the ubuntu forums, are starting to make progress with this little over 2year bug.

We now have managed to compile and have a none screen flashing situation, before video playback with mplayer. I believe it has to do with how some media players, call to x11. As we've disabled x11 with mplayer, and it's working. Also how this only seems to happen with certain players, VLC/mplayer, and how it doesn't happen with players like Totem, and Dragon Player (kde default)

I did have a thread on this forum about the same problem, but as I was getting more support from the ubuntu forums, I've stuck with that one.

Thread on this forum

Ubuntu Forum link

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
              Uhm, I kinda like drooling over multi-monitor setups. Would you mind posting a photo?
              Of course. One 24" 16:9 in the middle, and 2 17" 4:3s on the sides turned 90 degrees for a portrait aspect ratio, and an Ergotron 3-monitor stand ties them all together nicely!

Comment

Of course. One 24" 16:9 in the middle, and 2 17" 4:3s on the sides turned 90 degrees for a portrait aspect ratio, and an Ergotron 3-monitor stand ties them all together nicely!
                Those bazels are huge lol

Fifa 11 under win 7

Expo with compiz

Note this image is before I removed the out plastic casing, to make the bazels smaller. All the screens are 17" 5:4 Dell monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish View Post
                  No pics for mine yet, just wanted to add to this thread that I've been using eyefinity comfortably with fglrx and 3+ monitors for a while now in ubuntu 10.04/10.10.

I'm still having issues getting multiseat to work, though.
                  I've been trying to get 3 heads to work on openSuSE 11.1-11.4 (KDE 4.4, 4.5, and 4.6) and have not been able to get more that 2 screens activated. Currently using Catalyst 11.2 with and HD 5870. The monitors are connected to a DisplayPort with ATI/AMD approved dongle and two DVIs.

Would you post your xorg.conf or have other tips for installation? My config works under Windows7.

Thanks!

Comment

fedora 14 does eyefinity with its free driver , you have it right on the live cdrom .
                    that s why i use it .

Comment

Originally posted by len43 View Post
                      Would you post your xorg.conf or have other tips for installation? My config works under Windows7.
                      Would love to help, but I just saw this from the airport and I won't be able to help for about 6 weeks. Will try to remember when I get back. I have the same card, 1 DP, 2 DVIs. If you don't hear from me, ping me again in this thread.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by len43 View Post
                        The monitors are connected to a DisplayPort with ATI/AMD approved dongle and two DVIs.
                        Is it an AMD approved active dongle?

Checking if it works on windows (if installed) or the mentioned fedora liveCD might be a good first step to determine whether it's a hardware or a configuration issue.

Comment

Checking if it works on windows (if installed) or the mentioned fedora liveCD might be a good first step to determine whether it's a hardware or a configuration issue.
                          It does work on 'doze 7 perfectly.

I have 3 dongles 2 of them are approved and none of them work under linux with fglrx but they all work under 'doze. Am using AMD Stream and need the fglrx driver. It seems that others have been able to get it working.

Comment

I did try FC 14 KDE today and it did work for me. Unfortunately it is not the FGLRX driver but the card does work.

Comment

Which drivers are you guys using?

First of all, hello! This is my first post on this forum, just discovered these forums today

Seems like you guys don't have any serious problems with ATI 5000 series and Linux.
                              I haven't been able to use Ubuntu since i installed a HD5870 card from XFX. After every X or xorg update my ubuntu partition is ruined.

10.04 was a disaster, couldn't make my third monitor work, and the catalyst drivers at the time just resulted in a "black screen" on boot, and no ability to switch to other TTY's.

10.10 fixed the third monitor, at least it showed up in catalyst control center and was able to configure a 3-monitor setup, one 24" in the middle, and two 20" on the sides in portrait mode (90 degrees to the right).
                              However any updates of x or x.org just ruined everything like mentioned with 10.04.
                              So i kept disabling/ignoring x and x.org updates... but someday i forgot, and voila! Black screen of death on boot.

So i was just wondering how you guys manage to run a similar setup? Which drivers are you guys using? Quite tired of using 'doze to enable all of my 3 monitors, and ruining my ubuntu partition with updates...

Would really appreciate any tips on drivers, distros or guides... at this point i just want to get a stable linux partition, and without having to buy a new Nvidia card or worrying about updates.

Note: in windows i am only able to rotate my screens to the right, rotating them to the left, or one to the left and the other to the right doesn't work, i dont know if this is a driver, hardware or firmware problem (but thats not important as long as i manage to get something work in linux).

Comment

Originally posted by viking View Post
                                First of all, hello! This is my first post on this forum, just discovered these forums today
                                I will look into fedora 14, and/or using aticonfig and xrandr meanwhile...

I ment to post this as an "edit", but I think it's an anti-spam measure since i have less than 5 posts... anyways, i am sorry for this...

Comment

Working...
                                X