Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD vs NVIDIA drivers, that big difference?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    Well, if you are interested in the new Unigine games coming out, you might want to go for a Radeon HD 5xxx series card. Many people don't know this, but ATI has had hardware tesselation since the HD 2xxx series, and it has been speced in OpenGL since the early 2000s. Anyway though, the 5xxx series has MUCH faster tesselation. I have a Radeon HD 5750 (way overclocked though) and I have been very happy with the performance.
    the tesselation unit in hd2000-4000 isn't openGL4 compatible and this oldstyle trueform tesselation unit in 2000-4000 is just broken for unigine in generall.

    your talking isn't so smart because in unigine2 nvidia is the clear winner because the benchmark is 100% nvidia focused.


    the hd6870 will have a very fine tesselation unit ;-)

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
      the tesselation unit in hd2000-4000 isn't openGL4 compatible and this oldstyle trueform tesselation unit in 2000-4000 is just broken for unigine in generall.

      your talking isn't so smart because in unigine2 nvidia is the clear winner because the benchmark is 100% nvidia focused.


      the hd6870 will have a very fine tesselation unit ;-)
      hopefully

      and that will blow Fermi out of the water with even less power consumption

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
        hopefully

        and that will blow Fermi out of the water with even less power consumption
        you can handle a 6870 by a passiv cooling solution ;-)

        because its a hd5770 class chip ;-)

        i think the price of a 6870 will be 200 at max.

        AMD makes the big money with GPUs 50-150 Watt and 80-200

        a GTX485 or an hd5970 is just Penis enlargement without any clue.

        Comment


        • #19
          Power consumption? How well does power consumption work on ATI cards? Is it working close to the same as Windows? I believe it's not so great when using open source drivers, correct?

          My point is, you're making compromises left, right and center, aren't you? So, when you bash Nvidia for power, I am wondering if it at least works since you're using the dreaded blob?

          I think power consumption is pretty important, just as much as some other features you' want and this is especially true for laptop users. But, nowadays, video manufacturers are trying to boast having the best with the latest and greatest so you want good power efficiency with your card and for it to work.

          If it works with the ATI binary but then you want to use the open source driver, what do you do?

          Comment


          • #20
            Too late for me to edit? I just went to the Radeon Feature Matrix page.

            So, under Power Saving, those show it's supported so I guess this indicates support, right? So, you Evergreen owners figure it's working well?

            Looks like 3D is in need of the most progress, then? Also, HA and video decoding which looks like it may never get there.

            Comment


            • #21
              What is HA ?

              Comment


              • #22
                HA = hardware acceleration... I was feeling lazy towards the end?

                I've since noticed from the phoronix thread that it's in progress or is that assumption incorrect? So, I'll even take that last bit back and just leave it at hardware decoding being left (for major work needed)?

                Anyway, just interesting state of things with HD 5xxx cards so I'm debating between GTS 450 and HD 5750/5770 right now.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Panix View Post
                  Power consumption? How well does power consumption work on ATI cards? Is it working close to the same as Windows? I believe it's not so great when using open source drivers, correct?

                  My point is, you're making compromises left, right and center, aren't you? So, when you bash Nvidia for power, I am wondering if it at least works since you're using the dreaded blob?

                  I think power consumption is pretty important, just as much as some other features you' want and this is especially true for laptop users. But, nowadays, video manufacturers are trying to boast having the best with the latest and greatest so you want good power efficiency with your card and for it to work.

                  If it works with the ATI binary but then you want to use the open source driver, what do you do?
                  there are a big difference between us i believe good thinks need time and you think if something isn't here and now in your hand it will be never in your hand.

                  it's the skill to imagine the future.

                  i think kano is the biggest advocate of the 'Here and now is the only. because you can Die Tomorrow'


                  "I believe it's not so great when using open source drivers, correct?"

                  this answer can be chance every day but i think today its correct.

                  "My point is, you're making compromises left, right and center, aren't you"

                  a compromis isn't the end of your life ;-)

                  "If it works with the ATI binary but then you want to use the open source driver, what do you do?"

                  what do i do? i try to help the dev's by testing the driver ;-)

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Hardware Acceleration on Evergreen/HD5xxx is almost at the same level as 6xx/7xx, with the caveat that acceleration is only supported when running with KMS. As of yesterday there were known issues related to mipmap support and stencil buffer handling.

                    Andre just committed a fix related to lodbias (lodbias affects which level of the mipmap is selected when texturing), not sure how much of the mipmap issue that addreses. Looks like the fix should get rid of some unpredictable behaviour, so at worst it will probably make the remaining issues easier to diagnose and fix.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                      the tesselation unit in hd2000-4000 isn't openGL4 compatible and this oldstyle trueform tesselation unit in 2000-4000 is just broken for unigine in generall.

                      your talking isn't so smart because in unigine2 nvidia is the clear winner because the benchmark is 100% nvidia focused.


                      the hd6870 will have a very fine tesselation unit ;-)
                      When I originally tested the first Unigine for linux, tesselation did work on my 4650 or 4350, however, it was BEYOND SLOW. Now, tesselation on those older cards is broken.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
                        When I originally tested the first Unigine for linux, tesselation did work on my 4650 or 4350, however, it was BEYOND SLOW. Now, tesselation on those older cards is broken.
                        BTW, it is compatible with OGL 3.3. The only real difference is that OGL 4.0 allows for FAR more tesselation. I think it is 4 times more, but I could be wrong.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                          Andre just committed a fix related to lodbias (lodbias affects which level of the mipmap is selected when texturing), not sure how much of the mipmap issue that addreses.
                          just tested on ioquake3, couldn't see any improvements to mipmap rendering at all.

                          The commit looks like it was a pain to track down, kudos on that.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            <offtopic>Speaking of hardware tessellation, does the opensource documentation cover how to use it or are there IP issues?</offtopic>

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              We haven't gotten as far as looking at the tesselator yet re: working out programming documentation, ie the only issues so far are time and competing priorities. I don't expect that IP issues will get in the way other than the usual time-consuming process of ensuring that there aren't any serious IP issues

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                                We haven't gotten as far as looking at the tesselator yet re: working out programming documentation, ie the only issues so far are time and competing priorities. I don't expect that IP issues will get in the way other than the usual time-consuming process of ensuring that there aren't any serious IP issues
                                Hmm, I was kinda thinking of the tessellator in r600 series. But yeah, sure, higher priority things first.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X