Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A New Release Of The AMD XvBA Back-End To VA-API

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A New Release Of The AMD XvBA Back-End To VA-API

    Phoronix: A New Release Of The AMD XvBA Back-End To VA-API

    Splitted Desktop Systems has updated their closed-source library that provides an XvBA back-end to a VA-API front-end so that those running the ATI Catalyst Linux driver are able to take advantage of the UVD2 video engine on newer Radeon HD graphics cards...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODQwMw

  • #2
    All I can say about this is "Meh". This software is about as useful to Radeon owners as MS-DOS is to a Linux user.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
      All I can say about this is "Meh". This software is about as useful to Radeon owners as MS-DOS is to a Linux user.
      Not necessarily. There are Radeon-based netbooks that can't otherwise manage HD video. That said, I won't use it, since the open-source drivers do a better job of satisfying my needs. I really want to know when we can expect a VA-API state tracker for Gallium.

      Comment


      • #4
        Anyone know if it finally has support for profiles L@5.1?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by waucka View Post
          Not necessarily. There are Radeon-based netbooks that can't otherwise manage HD video. That said, I won't use it, since the open-source drivers do a better job of satisfying my needs. I really want to know when we can expect a VA-API state tracker for Gallium.
          By the time there are usable radeon Gallium drivers, VA-API will be completely obsolete, since there is a WIP VDPAU state stracker.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
            By the time there are usable radeon Gallium drivers, VA-API will be completely obsolete, since there is a WIP VDPAU state stracker.
            I really couldn't care less about an nvidia technology like VDPAU.

            Comment


            • #7
              Most of the work to create a VDPAU state tracker would be in the video decoding routines. Once someone's written the shaders and SSE code required, it should be relatively simple to wrap it up in either VDPAU or a VAAPI state tracker.

              Comment


              • #8
                In ArchLinux with the new version i have this error
                vainfo
                libva: libva version 0.31.0-sds6
                Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
                libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
                libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so
                Violación de segmento

                xvba-video 0.6.11 works ok.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Cory View Post
                  In ArchLinux with the new version i have this error
                  vainfo
                  libva: libva version 0.31.0-sds6
                  Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
                  libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
                  libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so
                  Violación de segmento

                  xvba-video 0.6.11 works ok.
                  Update libva.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post
                    I really couldn't care less about an nvidia technology like VDPAU.
                    It really does not matter. VDPAU is designed to be a open API.

                    VA-API is designed to be a generic API that can be backed by VDPAU or whatever.

                    But if a VDPAU state tracker exists then that may just end up being a cleaner solution for everybody to use regardless of the video card.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                      Update libva.
                      I tried with libva-git from AUR but no luck

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        mplayer works well, but I can't get the gstreamer vaapidecode to work (vappiconvert and vappisink work, though).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          xbmc vaapi works now too with other sizes, vlc git shows green. h264 l5.1 does not work. tar/deb latest links are swapped, so i made a hotfix script:

                          http://kanotix.com/files/fix/mplayer-vaapi-latest-1.txt

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DanL View Post
                            mplayer works well, but I can't get the gstreamer vaapidecode to work (vappiconvert and vappisink work, though).
                            How do you use it? What kind of video file? What version of gstreamer? Just saying "doesn't work" doesn't help much. If your videos are embedded in a .ts container, then there indeed could be decoding -- well, parsing -- problems.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Kano View Post
                              xbmc vaapi works now too with other sizes
                              What driver are you using? The problem in XBMC was not a video size problem. That is, the video was jittering a lot unless you showed the controls panel. Most likely an FBO problem. This problem also occurred on Windows. I doubt it was fixed.

                              vlc git shows green.
                              Clip? VLC version?

                              h264 l5.1 does not work.
                              If this works on Windows, I believe there are probably means to get them to work in Linux too.

                              tar/deb latest links are swapped, so i made a hotfix script:
                              Fixed. Links to 0.7.0 binaries were also reversed yesterday but nobody noticed.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X