Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A New Release Of The AMD XvBA Back-End To VA-API

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Cory View Post
    I tried with libva-git from AUR but no luck
    Arch Linux packages are generally current. Use either upstream 0.31.0 (so called "1.0.1") without any patches or libva-sds 0.31.1-1+sds3. I just saw some packages built this morning. This might work now.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
      By the time there are usable radeon Gallium drivers, VA-API will be completely obsolete, since there is a WIP VDPAU state stracker.
      Ah, because you believe there is a WIP VDPAU state tracker implies that (i) the actual decoders are available, (ii) they are efficient and effective, (iii) magically support all other HW like ATI, Intel G45 and GMA500? The answer to all of those is "no". I don't see how the API can be obsolete when it has implementations for every single combined GPU+HW accelerator in Linux.

      Comment


      • #18
        don't expect to experience wonderful ATI video playback on Linux that's elegantly offloaded to the GPU in the manner that NVIDIA customers can with VDPAU and GeForce hardware.
        Why?

        While the solution may be not so good I actually can watch hd videos with < 10% CPU load extremely smooth...
        What can nvidia users with vdpau do that I can't?

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
          Why?

          While the solution may be not so good I actually can watch hd videos with < 10% CPU load extremely smooth...
          What can nvidia users with vdpau do that I can't?
          Memory leaks and corruption in the long run, thus leading to system crashes. Much less features exposed in XvBA/GL than in another XvBA backend. Suboptimal use of GPU memory resources because of driver bugs or things not fully implemented. i.e. another indirection to accomplish the expected task, thus requiring more memory (and work). Some sync problems in the pipeline, depending on the driver (regression). etc.

          Comment


          • #20
            However, when it works, everything is offloaded to the GPU unlike NVIDIA for VC-1 and earlier GPUs.

            Comment


            • #21
              It was a very short test with xbmc I found already 2 other bugs in xmbc while testing it. One crash with fglrx (not nvidia) even with software decoding. vaapi is choppy in xbmc with nvidia, intel and ati. Some xbmc dev should fix it...

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
                However, when it works, everything is offloaded to the GPU unlike NVIDIA for VC-1 and earlier GPUs.
                Well, what about earlier ATI GPUs, like the HD2000 series? Is it possible to get any kind of decode acceleration with XvBA now?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
                  How do you use it? What kind of video file? What version of gstreamer? Just saying "doesn't work" doesn't help much. If your videos are embedded in a .ts container, then there indeed could be decoding -- well, parsing -- problems.
                  I am using the following versions:
                  Catalyst 10-6
                  gstreamer from this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~gstreamer-dev...s_filter=lucid
                  gstreamer-ffmpeg 10.10.5
                  ffmpeg and x264 built from svn/git yesterday
                  libva 0.31.1-sds3
                  xvba 0.7.1
                  gstreamer-vaapi 0.2.5

                  Do I need to build gstreamer myself?

                  I was trying several different video formats (avi, flv, mp4, mpeg) using gst-launch. I'm not on that partition at the moment, but I can get you more detailed output if you think it will be helpful. Thanks for your efforts/time/attention.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by brent View Post
                    Well, what about earlier ATI GPUs, like the HD2000 series? Is it possible to get any kind of decode acceleration with XvBA now?
                    Yes. My notebook has a mobile HD2600, and XvBA works quite well with L4.1 material. Occasionally, playback stutters with mplayer-vaapi, but it works well for the most part. Granted, XvBA just is not as good as VDPAU, but for notebook users such as myself, it is a viable solution. Although mplayer-mt also works quite well, I prefer mplayer-vaapi simply because the XvBA implementation allows lower CPU frequencies, which translates to cooler and quieter CPU operations.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
                      Arch Linux packages are generally current. Use either upstream 0.31.0 (so called "1.0.1") without any patches or libva-sds 0.31.1-1+sds3. I just saw some packages built this morning. This might work now.
                      Packages in Arch Linux repos are updated now

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Kano View Post
                        vlc git shows green.
                        I sent a patch to VLC devs. This may also fix a problem on Ironlake.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by DanL View Post
                          I am using the following versions:
                          Catalyst 10-6
                          gstreamer from this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~gstreamer-dev...s_filter=lucid
                          gstreamer-ffmpeg 10.10.5
                          ffmpeg and x264 built from svn/git yesterday
                          libva 0.31.1-sds3
                          xvba 0.7.1
                          gstreamer-vaapi 0.2.5

                          Do I need to build gstreamer myself?

                          I was trying several different video formats (avi, flv, mp4, mpeg) using gst-launch. I'm not on that partition at the moment, but I can get you more detailed output if you think it will be helpful. Thanks for your efforts/time/attention.
                          What is the outcome of the following?

                          GST_DEBUG=vaapi:5,vaapidecode:5,vaapisink:5 gst-launch -v filesrc location=/path/to/some/video.mp4 ! qtdemux ! vaapidecode ! vaapisink

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by brent View Post
                            Well, what about earlier ATI GPUs, like the HD2000 series? Is it possible to get any kind of decode acceleration with XvBA now?
                            The only chips officially supported are RS780E and RV770 (Mobile Radeon HD 4870 actually). You can try other GPUs with UVD, it may work but AMD won't make much (if any) effort at fixing them if they don't work. It seems to work on an HD 2600 though.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              DISCLAIMER: I skipped most of the previous posts in this thread.

                              Now let me get this straight: There's a XvBA, which can forward to VA-API, which can forward to VDPAU?

                              * Shoots self. *

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Oh yeah great, a proprietary 'solution' for a proprietary problem that is the current FLOSS state and one that will only be used for a limited period of time.

                                *Yaaaaaaawn*

                                Of course people 'need' this functionality because without it Linux isn't viable <_<'

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X