5870 future prospects

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post
    Many thanks the thread has been most helpfull. Looking around I have found the 5870 can be obtained fo around 500 dollars Aus. Currently as far as I can see there are no 2gig 5870's the 2 gig cards are 5970's which are two GPU jobs. Some thing I am not realy interested in. Also apart from installing I have never had any trouble with the FGLRX driver.
    In this case Q is right. I have the 2gig 5870 (add search phrase 'eyefinity') to your queries.

But, don't plan on using more than 2 monitors, they're disabled in fglrx!

Queue Q-man telling us that 10.7 will support 24 monitors with its 6 DisplayPorts (that don't support the upcoming DP group's chaining feature) and will solve all of his problems (probably all of yours too).

Comment

Originally posted by noobish View Post
      In this case Q is right. I have the 2gig 5870 (add search phrase 'eyefinity') to your queries.

But, don't plan on using more than 2 monitors, they're disabled in fglrx!

Queue Q-man telling us that 10.7 will support 24 monitors with its 6 DisplayPorts (that don't support the upcoming DP group's chaining feature) and will solve all of his problems (probably all of yours too).
      you need 2 pices 5970 to use 24 displays or 4 pices of 5870!

catalyst 10-7 just enable the eyefinity feature

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6Vf8R_gOec

Comment

Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post
        Currently as far as I can see there are no 2gig 5870's the 2 gig cards are 5970's which are two GPU jobs.
        Here's some 2GB 5870's (not Eyefinity models) -
        Model #1
        Model #2

I personally think the ASUS one (the first link) is the better choice.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueJayofEvil View Post
          Here's some 2GB 5870's (not Eyefinity models) -
          Model #1
          Model #2

I personally think the ASUS one (the first link) is the better choice.
          the asus matrix is a OC card with special chips on it and i think the OC tools are windows only

this card is build to OC up to 375watt (1200mhz)!!!!!!!!!

but i think.... its not the 'Linux' Card.,,

because standard OC tools can't handle the special chips on it to control the Voltage !

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
            The man stating R600/R700 binary driver can do tearfree video is utterly bullshitting.
            AFAIK OpenGl video-out + OpenGl vsync gives you tear-free video, at least in fullscreen.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider

The man stating R600/R700 binary driver can do tearfree video is utterly bullshitting.
              i have tear free video with a 4650 and catalyst.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
                I think long term FGLRX users have the tendency to hurt themselves, both psychologically and possible physically?

Go get an nVidia GTX 470, or wait for the GTX 460 (GF 104 Line) to come out. I will save yourself endless nights figuring out why the hell on earth a $600 dollar card cannot even play video to an acceptable quality.

Fglrx users: go ahead and hurt yourself, but don't drag others down your path.
                The guy specifically asked for open source drivers.

Why are you talking about binary drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  The guy specifically asked for open source drivers.

Why are you talking about binary drivers?
                  i think he just confused fglrx and nvidia ....

because he is right on this tropic if he talk for closed source drivers and nvidia ;-)

Comment

Working...
                  X