Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5870 future prospects

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post
    Many thanks the thread has been most helpfull. Looking around I have found the 5870 can be obtained fo around 500 dollars Aus. Currently as far as I can see there are no 2gig 5870's the 2 gig cards are 5970's which are two GPU jobs. Some thing I am not realy interested in. Also apart from installing I have never had any trouble with the FGLRX driver.
    In this case Q is right. I have the 2gig 5870 (add search phrase 'eyefinity') to your queries.

    But, don't plan on using more than 2 monitors, they're disabled in fglrx!

    Queue Q-man telling us that 10.7 will support 24 monitors with its 6 DisplayPorts (that don't support the upcoming DP group's chaining feature) and will solve all of his problems (probably all of yours too).

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by noobish View Post
      In this case Q is right. I have the 2gig 5870 (add search phrase 'eyefinity') to your queries.

      But, don't plan on using more than 2 monitors, they're disabled in fglrx!

      Queue Q-man telling us that 10.7 will support 24 monitors with its 6 DisplayPorts (that don't support the upcoming DP group's chaining feature) and will solve all of his problems (probably all of yours too).
      you need 2 pices 5970 to use 24 displays or 4 pices of 5870!

      catalyst 10-7 just enable the eyefinity feature

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6Vf8R_gOec

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post
        Currently as far as I can see there are no 2gig 5870's the 2 gig cards are 5970's which are two GPU jobs.
        Here's some 2GB 5870's (not Eyefinity models) -
        Model #1
        Model #2

        I personally think the ASUS one (the first link) is the better choice.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by BlueJayofEvil View Post
          Here's some 2GB 5870's (not Eyefinity models) -
          Model #1
          Model #2

          I personally think the ASUS one (the first link) is the better choice.
          the asus matrix is a OC card with special chips on it and i think the OC tools are windows only

          this card is build to OC up to 375watt (1200mhz)!!!!!!!!!

          but i think.... its not the 'Linux' Card.,,

          because standard OC tools can't handle the special chips on it to control the Voltage !

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
            The man stating R600/R700 binary driver can do tearfree video is utterly bullshitting.
            AFAIK OpenGl video-out + OpenGl vsync gives you tear-free video, at least in fullscreen.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by FunkyRider

              The man stating R600/R700 binary driver can do tearfree video is utterly bullshitting.
              i have tear free video with a 4650 and catalyst.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
                I think long term FGLRX users have the tendency to hurt themselves, both psychologically and possible physically?

                The man stating R600/R700 binary driver can do tearfree video is utterly bullshitting.

                Go get an nVidia GTX 470, or wait for the GTX 460 (GF 104 Line) to come out. I will save yourself endless nights figuring out why the hell on earth a $600 dollar card cannot even play video to an acceptable quality.

                Fglrx users: go ahead and hurt yourself, but don't drag others down your path.
                The guy specifically asked for open source drivers.

                Why are you talking about binary drivers?

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  The guy specifically asked for open source drivers.

                  Why are you talking about binary drivers?
                  i think he just confused fglrx and nvidia ....

                  because he is right on this tropic if he talk for closed source drivers and nvidia ;-)

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X