XvBA on Evergreen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Do you think it logical to use NDA for xvba? I don't think so. Nvidia does not need that for vdpau too. With an open sdk mplayer could at least use the working code path.
    To ATI's defense, they normally support the whole Bluray playback stack on Linux, with various other backends or API. Besides, this kind of stuff is governed by AMD Legal. The secure/protection chain must be maintained. Should there be a breach, they probably could get their license revoked. So, this is reserved to embedded applications, and this can also have an impact on the way HW is designed.

BTW, getting allowed to release "xvba-video" in this limited version was a 6 month process... "xvba-video" in this public form serves several purposes:
    - allow users to have some sort of video decode acceleration on Linux
    - allow AMD and us to test further on real people videos...

For sure, that version is pretty incomplete. e.g. missing advanced post-processing features, which can only be available/enabled with the other backend. There are also other serious bugs, but you won't get details here. ;-)

Comment

hello gbeauche
      Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
      missing advanced post-processing features, which can only be available/enabled with the other backend.
      Do you think of bob deinterlacing for that matter? It's still broken in 10.6 - can you comment on when this will be fixed? I know bob deint is not the world when it comes to deinterlace strategies, but it would be nice to have at least *some* strategy usable on 1080i channels...

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxoholic View Post
        Do you think of bob deinterlacing for that matter? It's still broken in 10.6 - can you comment on when this will be fixed? I know bob deint is not the world when it comes to deinterlace strategies, but it would be nice to have at least *some* strategy usable on 1080i channels...
        It was supposed to be fixed, with some changes to xvba-video, in the 10.5 driver. If it's not, well, you understand why I got bored. I will probably check some day when I use an ATI card again. I need to do some other development. And since I want reliable drivers, I chose something else for now.

Some other media devs say it's better to do deinterlacing on NV12 components instead of RGBA. So, I don't think I will invest much time into this approach anyway. I will check that later, later.

Comment

I actually see a lot of the rendering problems with the XvBA using a radeon hd 5770 here.

The Test software I am using is the latest subversion releases of XBMC and i noticed that xvid/divx works (h264 4.1 profile) however the x264 encodes do not work (garbled render) (h264 5.1 profile).

Comment

Originally posted by Dandel View Post
            The Test software I am using is the latest subversion releases of XBMC and i noticed that xvid/divx works (h264 4.1 profile) however the x264 encodes do not work (garbled render) (h264 5.1 profile).
            xvid/divx is not h264 HP @ L4.1. This is MPEG-4 Part-2, in particular the advanced simple profile of that standard.

That said, you are facing several problems:
            1) XvBA/GL is not working on Evergreen chips. The video is decoded correctly but copying to the GL texture fails.
            2) XBMC exposes another bug in the driver. This has something to do with FBO. The funny part is this also happens on Windows with DXVA2. Hence, I strongly suspect an FBO problem. However, XBMC codebase is huge and streamlining the problem is not trivial.
            3) This is not really a problem but some people might see problems with h264 HP @ L5.1 depending on the driver and his configuration.

Comment

So what can linux users do with their evergreen cards?

I am asking because it looks like there is no GPU decoding available yet if I understand correctly (no VaAPI and no XvBA).

How do you guys use your HD5xxx card today? I am using fglrx 10.7 drivers but I am not very satisfied of their xv rendering even with DVDs :-(

What could we do in the meantime to use them and enjoy ours HTPC?
              I have an i3 530 cpu

Do we have any insights on when we should have some GPU decoding capabilities?

MANY THANKS
              XabiX

Comment

We recommend using GL output for video playback rather than Xv, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  We recommend using GL output for video playback rather than Xv, btw.
                  Is it GLX (XCB) under VLC for example? for Mplayer I have several gl one, is even called gl (quick for ATI) is it the one?

Any special thing to add in the xorg.conf?

Thanks
                  Xabix

Comment

I have an i3 530 cpu
                    Wait, isn't that one of the supported Intel ones? H.264 at least, IIRC.

Comment

Choosing a gl output is done differently for every player. Usually I find the most complicated looking option name that doesn't crash works best

Nothing special required in xorg.conf if you're starting with a "vanilla" xorg.conf then running aticonfig --initial against it. If you've pasted in a bunch of options already you might have to take some of them out...

Comment

Originally posted by XabiX View Post
                        Is it GLX (XCB) under VLC for example? for Mplayer I have several gl one, is even called gl (quick for ATI) is it the one?

Any special thing to add in the xorg.conf?

Thanks
                        Xabix
                        FYI
                        Code:
                        Section "ServerLayout"
                        	Identifier     "amdcccle Layout"
                        	Screen      0  "amdcccle-Screen[1]-0" 0 0
                        EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
                        	Option	    "Xinerama" "off"
                        EndSection

Section "Monitor"
                        	Identifier   "0-DFP1"
                        	Option	    "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
                        	Option	    "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
                        	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
                        	Option	    "PreferredMode" "1920x1080"
                        	Option	    "TargetRefresh" "30"
                        	Option	    "Position" "0 0"
                        	Option	    "Rotate" "normal"
                        	Option	    "Disable" "false"
                        EndSection

Section "Monitor"
                        	Identifier   "0-CRT2"
                        	Option	    "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
                        	Option	    "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
                        	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
                        	Option	    "TargetRefresh" "60"
                        	Option	    "Position" "0 0"
                        	Option	    "Rotate" "normal"
                        	Option	    "Disable" "true"
                        EndSection

Section "Device"
                        	Identifier  "amdcccle-Device[1]-0"
                        	Driver      "fglrx"
                        	Option	    "ForceMonitors" "tmds1,nocrt2"
                        	Option	    "TVFormat" "PAL-N"
                        	Option	    "EnableRandR12" "false"
                        	Option	    "Monitor-DFP1" "0-DFP1"
                        	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
                        EndSection

Section "Device"
                        	Identifier  "amdcccle-Device[1]-1"
                        	Driver      "fglrx"
                        	Option	    "Monitor-DFP1" "0-DFP1"
                        	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
                        	Screen      1
                        EndSection

Section "Screen"
                        	Identifier "amdcccle-Screen[1]-0"
                        	Device     "amdcccle-Device[1]-0"
                        	DefaultDepth     24
                        	SubSection "Display"
                        		Viewport   0 0
                        		Depth     24
                        	EndSubSection
                        EndSection

Section "Screen"
                        	Identifier "amdcccle-Screen[1]-1"
                        	Device     "amdcccle-Device[1]-1"
                        	DefaultDepth     24
                        	SubSection "Display"
                        		Viewport   0 0
                        		Depth     24
                        	EndSubSection
                        EndSection
                        Kernel: 2.6.34-02063401-generic

Code:
                        libva: libva version 0.31.1-sds1
                        Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
                        libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
                        libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so
                        libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
                        vainfo: VA API version: 0.31
                        vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA API - 0.7.2
                        vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
                              VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :	VAEntrypointIDCT
                              VAProfileMPEG2Main              :	VAEntrypointIDCT
                              VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointVLD
                              VAProfileVC1Advanced            :	VAEntrypointVLD

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                          Wait, isn't that one of the supported Intel ones? H.264 at least, IIRC.
                          I was using it at the beginning for the video and it was pretty good even quite new. The only killing feature with the 5.1, DTS, true-hd on the HDMI. So for an HTPC server 2.0 was bad so instead of changing the motherboard I added a video card but struggling with getting nice vids.

At least I liked the idea of using Intel HD Graphics for green HTPC

Now I have an ever green card instead

Comment

Originally posted by XabiX View Post
                            I was using it at the beginning for the video and it was pretty good even quite new. The only killing feature with the 5.1, DTS, true-hd on the HDMI. So for an HTPC server 2.0 was bad so instead of changing the motherboard I added a video card but struggling with getting nice vids.
                            Please elaborate.

The board couldn't output 5.1 via hdmi? By itself, or even as a passthrough?
                            Is this a limit of the Intel gpu, the sound card, or the chip that muxes hdmi output?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                              Please elaborate.

The board couldn't output 5.1 via hdmi? By itself, or even as a passthrough?
                              Is this a limit of the Intel gpu, the sound card, or the chip that muxes hdmi output?
                              I tried in pass-through with my Yamaha decoder but it didn't work I had only 2.0 then I read the user guide
                              http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList...5)m-usb3_e.pdf

Page 19: Please note the HDMI audio output only supports AC3, DTS and 2-channel-LPCM formats. (AC3 and DTS require the use of an external decoder for decoding.)

I was so frustrated to discover this after buying the motherboard and spending weeks investigating and finding also that the drivers didn't support interleace mode 1080i.

now I have "issues" with my ATI card but at least I have 5.1 audio :-)

Comment

I'm still a bit in the dark, you have a Yamaha decoder/amp to pipe DTS to, which should be supported (as reads in the manual)?

Comment

Working...
                                X