Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drivers for linux are rubbish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by mugginz View Post
    I want to own an ATI card. I was about to buy one on the promises made by others prior to the release of fglrx 10.5 but then these forums had posters saying they were still having problems with it and it wasn't fixing issues they were hoping it would.
    OK, I have to ask. Who was making those promises ?

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      OK, I have to ask. Who was making those promises ?
      You must of read the many post along the lines of "fglrx works for me, and is as good as the nVidia blob"

      You on the other hand you have been completely honest and transparent as far as I've read anyway.

      I believe you'll be able to find posts in this very thread stating that fglrx is comparable to nVidia's blob. I'll be waiting to see what happen with 10.6

      If it's not what I'm personally hoping for I'll buy the nVidia card and use a two card system for a while. My work flow is fine with a two separate desktop system. One card running two monitors and another card running another X session. It's not as good as being able to move a window across all three screens though.

      Also there's some talk of an "Eyefinity 4" card by Saphhire that'll provide outputs for concurrent use of three DVI type outputs in addition to the DP output. That might be worth waiting for,

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by mugginz View Post
        You must of read the many post along the lines of "fglrx works for me, and is as good as the nVidia blob"
        Since when does someone stating their own personal experience with the driver translate to being a promise?

        Adam

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by adamk View Post
          Since when does someone stating their own personal experience with the driver translate to being a promise?

          Adam
          Well Adam perhaps "assurances" is a better word then "promises" if you really want to press the issue.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by mugginz View Post
            Well Adam perhaps "assurances" is a better word then "promises" if you really want to press the issue.
            If you are referring to me, I want you to know that I have never said the fglrx blob is better than nvidia or vice versa. All I am saying is, that they have different problems both of them.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Panix View Post
              Same here. I'd like to get an ATI card but there's no taking it back because you're unsatisfied how it runs in Linux.

              Another reason ATI is suspect for support is that there is no support for X-Server 1.8. Therefore, you can't even use a HD 4xxx card in Fedora 13 except for OSS drivers. But, then what are your options for 3D?

              So, ATI won't even cover the latest Fedora and this distro is in the top 3 of popularity. Nvidia's 9xxx and GT200 at least work in it so you can compare to at least HD 4xxx's situation. I am not sure about Fermi cards but Evergreen doesn't work in Fedora at all either.

              ATI/AMD have slow support but in this particular case, NO support.
              If you are planning to use distro's, which is not supported by fglrx I would not recommend Ati. Unless ofcourse you plan to use the oss drivers, which is good for anything but gaming right now.

              Comment


              • #67
                Therefore, you can't even use a HD 4xxx card in Fedora 13 except for OSS drivers. But, then what are your options for 3D?
                This is getting really tiring.....

                Your options are to use the 3d acceleration provided by the open drivers which work out of the box with Fedora 13.

                It works up to OpenGL 2.0 + GLSL 1.1. Which covers most native games for Linux, and most non-professional programs.

                That is your option. It might not be sufficient for your particular requirements, but don't claim that there are no options.

                As for gaming, I'm going to play some games right now, using the free drivers.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by mugginz View Post
                  Still demonstrates that the use of anchient nVidia cards can be used on a modern composited Linux desktop though.
                  It looks like an important half has been left out there: "Using an OSS driver which isn't supported by nvidia in any way..."
                  radeon seems to do just fine for that too...
                  You gotta keep the comparison fair all the way through

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    So, ok fglrx doesn't support latest fedora, doesn't support video without tearing using xv (mplayer + gl works), and doesn't support latest kernels without patching.

                    @ mugginz, panix buy and nvidia card and be happy with the driver support / features they are offering. If you like their support buy nvidia.

                    All the arguments you had post on this thread you had already posted 20 times (at least) by yourselfs on other threads.

                    Why the hell are you repeating over and over the same arguments on an ati support forum ? it is not an ati blame forum (do you realize?), what porpoise are you looking for┐? are you payed by nvidia? are you bored and come here only to waste time?

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                      So, ok fglrx doesn't support latest fedora, doesn't support video without tearing using xv (mplayer + gl works), and doesn't support latest kernels without patching.

                      @ mugginz, panix buy and nvidia card and be happy with the driver support / features they are offering. If you like their support buy nvidia.

                      All the arguments you had post on this thread you had already posted 20 times (at least) by yourselfs on other threads.

                      Why the hell are you repeating over and over the same arguments on an ati support forum ? it is not an ati blame forum (do you realize?), what porpoise are you looking for┐? are you payed by nvidia? are you bored and come here only to waste time?
                      Because bashing Ati with the same old issues over and over again, helps their conscience when they are going to buy nvidia -> supporting the non opensource friendly company ;-) Well nothin wrong with that btw.

                      Naaw, just kidding really.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        I think it is a frustration subject.

                        They want the better performance of ati hardware mixed with superb nvidia drivers mixed with WINE performing better than windows 7 with directx 11 to play his teenager videogames.

                        As this thing doesn't exit they come to an ati linux support forum to relieve their feelings, and to be readed by a large audience because if they go to an linux nvidia support forum only 2 plp would read them (yah beceause nvidia works so well that nobody ask for support, or maybe ... only maybe, because nobody buys nvidia nowadays┐?)

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                          They want the better performance of ati hardware mixed with superb nvidia drivers mixed with WINE performing better than windows 7 with directx 11 to play his teenager videogames.
                          Nice strawman.

                          Noone's demanding superfast DirectX 11 3D through WINE. What we ask for is decent, functional 3D. It's nice if it works with common Windows games through WINE, usually D3D 8 or 9.

                          Also, fast 2D would be nice as well. This has been a really weak point of fglrx for many many years. 2D has always been sub-par. Maybe that will change with the new 2D acceleration being implemented, but who knows? And why wait to find out if you can get a faster card now from a competitor?

                          As this thing doesn't exit they come to an ati linux support forum to relieve their feelings, and to be readed by a large audience because if they go to an linux nvidia support forum only 2 plp would read them (yah beceause nvidia works so well that nobody ask for support, or maybe ... only maybe, because nobody buys nvidia nowadays┐?)
                          You have no idea, do you?

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            "What we ask for is decent, functional 3D" fglrx already has.

                            "fast 2D would be nice as well. This has been a really weak point" aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,Direct2DAccel,TRUE

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                              "What we ask for is decent, functional 3D" fglrx already has.

                              "fast 2D would be nice as well. This has been a really weak point" aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,Direct2DAccel,TRUE
                              D2d doesn't work for shit yet, cant people are recommending this right now. its not even close to being finished yet. I enabled this on my ati 2600 and cat 10.5 today and it was slower, had really buggy fade animations, and docky was rendered all messed up.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                We're certainly not recommending that anyone use the new acceleration code yet. That's why only NDA beta testers were told about it

                                When development is finished the new code will be enabled by default.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X