Dual monitors on fglrx 10.5 / Slackare 13.1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pflynn View Post
    Also, the three monitor setup was working fine too, until the upgrade to 13.1 (using the same Catalyst 10.5).
    so the driver version remains the same, but you're using a different version of Xorg? I have a strong suspicion about the real culprit here.

It may be worth filing a bug-report. Prepare to be asked to re-create the bug with the OS drivers, blaming fglrx is always sooo easy

Originally posted by pflynn View Post
    Im trying to disable it in xorg.conf file, but Im not sure if Xorg cares about it, since it look like its just ignoring my configuration.
    what makes you think the configuration is ignored? Any hints in Xorg.0.log?

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
      so the driver version remains the same, but you're using a different version of Xorg? I have a strong suspicion about the real culprit here.

It may be worth filing a bug-report. Prepare to be asked to re-create the bug with the OS drivers, blaming fglrx is always sooo easy
      Yes. Im almost sure that the problem has to do with the new version of Xorg - not with Xorg itself, but between how fglrx and this new version are interacting. Downgrading the kernel, for example, probably will make no difference.

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
      what makes you think the configuration is ignored? Any hints in Xorg.0.log?
      Its just a guess. Because I have not found anything in the Xorg.0.log file showing that composite is being disabled when I explicitly write it in the xorg.cfg file (no messages like "disabling composite extension"). Also, window resizing now is allways very slow, no matter if I disable composition in the xorg.cfg file or not (when Im using just one card). This behavior (window resizing being very slow) is kinda typical from fglrx working together with the composite extension. But I need to check it again to be sure.

Comment

Hi, good news.

I filled a bug report yesterday ( Bug 1828 - http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1828 ), and today, an engineer from AMD, Felix Kuehling, replied to it:

Hi Pedro,

We know about the problem and a fix is in the pipe for release in July. In the
        mean time you can try some workarounds:

- delete /dev/vga_arbiter before you start X, you'll have to do this again
        every time you reboot
        - if that doesn't work, try recompiling your kernel with CONFIG_VGA_ARB
        disabled

Hope this helps.

Following the instructions did the job. Now I can start X successfully using multiple display adapters and Xinerama without segmentation faults. Many thanks to Felix and to everybody who helped me.

Comment

But of course, there is Adam's problem that is still pending. Now that I'm able to use my system normally, I'll see if I can help the owner of the thread.

Comment

I guess you missed the post where I said I managed to get it working :-)

Comment

Originally posted by adamk View Post
              I guess you missed the post where I said I managed to get it working :-)
              Ooops! Sorry, my bad! I didn't notice that until now It was here:

Originally posted by adamk View Post
              Yes, I get the error message
              then, too. I have managed to fix it, though. I had to set the Virtual to 2560 2560 rather than 2560 1024. Not sure why as I was just trying to run the two monitors at 1280x1024. I think fglrx needs a little work on its math and logic skills :-)
              So, this thread has a complete happy ending. Nice

Comment

Working...
              X