Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your experience with the new 2D acceleration so far

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Your experience with the new 2D acceleration so far

    openSUSE 11.2 64bit, KDE (compositing disabled), HD4670 512MB, fglrx 10.4

    Working well so far, aside from the following artifacts:
    - Maximized applications display no close button on the top right corner, though the functionality is there
    - Some rendering issues here and there while browsing, most notably in Firefox (3.5.9), where the background on Yahoo's front page is pretty much random. Also pictures requiring scrolling can end up cut down with the remaining content "bleeding", e.g. http://twobluecrabs.com/1042. Native desktop resolution is 1920x1080. This doesn't happen in Opera 10.53b
    - Using 1000Hz polling on my Razer Abyssus mouse gives the same "trailing effect" as with the 2D acceleration turned off unless I move the windows around very slowly. Switching to 125Hz polling solves that issue for the most part

    What's your experience?

  • #2
    Gentoo 64bit, KDE, Mobility HD 4670, fglrx 10.4

    I have similar exprience.
    To get around close button corruption I changed windows decorators to skulpture.
    Only problem I have now is the bleeding effect in Firefox.

    Comment


    • #3
      Works great for me. Debian squeeze HD 4670 ; metacity (disabled compositing). Everything works like without Direct2D except of one thing. Netbeans IDE has sometimes drawing issues. I have then to restretch the IDE window. I guess the probleme is Java related, but dont know for sure.

      What works:

      xv video playback
      browsing the web with firefox
      watch tv with tvtime
      play quakelive

      If i turn on compositing i cant watch tv any longer. The window remains just black. Same goes for mplayer with xv acceleration -> gl or gl2 works. I dont know how to tell tvtime to not use xv. Window resizing has improved a lot compared to the previous acceleration architecture, but resizing firefox feels sluggish. Itīs better than without Direct2D but not as smooth as windows.

      Comment


      • #4
        Horrible. Mobility 2600 cat 10.4, Lucid 10.04, gnome/compiz. Tearing is still bad, performance is the same (bad) as with d2d off. Some apps like firefox take a big performance hit scrolling and the minimize animation looks super choppy.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
          Horrible. Mobility 2600 cat 10.4, Lucid 10.04, gnome/compiz. Tearing is still bad, performance is the same (bad) as with d2d off. Some apps like firefox take a big performance hit scrolling and the minimize animation looks super choppy.
          I have almost the same setup here: integrated mobile HD2600, cat 10.4, debian squeeze amd64, gnome 2.28, but without compiz.

          I wouldn't go as far as to say 2D is horrible in my case, but I agree with you on the firefox and minimizing windows. I have not really noticed any tearing on the desktop, but what irks me the most is flickering in videos, even with gpu accelerated va-api stuff.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DivineGrace View Post
            I have almost the same setup here: integrated mobile HD2600, cat 10.4, debian squeeze amd64, gnome 2.28, but without compiz.

            I wouldn't go as far as to say 2D is horrible in my case, but I agree with you on the firefox and minimizing windows. I have not really noticed any tearing on the desktop, but what irks me the most is flickering in videos, even with gpu accelerated va-api stuff.
            I dont get flickering in vids but I do get noticeable tearing. Makes cat unusable for me.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
              I dont get flickering in vids but I do get noticeable tearing. Makes cat unusable for me.
              What program do you use to play vids?
              I use mplayer for SD stuff and mplayer-vaapi for HD material, and notice flickering with every video. This is with every single cat release I have ever tried!

              Comment


              • #8
                You need for -vo gl or vaapi always vsync forced on with amdcccle.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  You need for -vo gl or vaapi always vsync forced on with amdcccle.
                  Weird, I use both Smplayer with gl output and vlc with Xv without noticing much difference (a definite improvement over no D2D accel), though the vids I watch are at best 720p

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Have anyone tried the new 2d acceleration for fglrx 10.5? It has been released.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Just tried it with 10.5. I've never seen such slow scrolling in gnome-terminal before

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Haven't yet tried the cat 10.5's, but gave it a go with e17 and cat 10.4 - definitely an improvement. Still stick to e16 mostly, and that was already quick, so haven't noticed much of a difference there.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X