• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you have no direct knowledge.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
      So you have no direct knowledge.
      So you're suggesting that I spend $500 on a card many are reporting problems with, and when I find issue with it then tough, just put the nVidia card back in and consider it $500 well spent?

Are you prepared to refund the $500? And even if you said you would, I'm not sure I'd have any reason to believe you'd actually come through with it.

Comment

• According to OP you have no right to speak.

You, Linux users, owners of ATI cards, would you please tell if it's possible to do the combination Linux/ATI and still play performance demanding games (on wine and natively)?

Comment

• This is the cheapest 5870 I can find from a reputable local dealer.

Would likely go for one of the ones with a better cooler (for quieter operation) so am more probably looking at about $580. So if you're so sure I'll have NO issues can I bank on you refunding me in the case of fglrx issues?

Comment

According to OP you have no right to speak.

You, Linux users, owners of ATI cards, would you please tell if it's possible to do the combination Linux/ATI and still play performance demanding games (on wine and natively)?
            And given that even ATI fanbois are very cautious and guarded when it comes to wine can you seriously recommend he buy an ATI card?

Comment

• Yes! give me the money and your computer , i buy it and configure it, so you will have a pleasant experience, with your 580$! you will never forget me

Comment

• Originally posted by dmrauss View Post
                What's wrong with describing the situation as it is. fglrx will run some thing under wine, and not others. nVidia will do a better job than will fglrx. The FOSS drivers aren't really appropriate for wine usage in most cases. If you have a look through this thread you'll find that they are my salient points. Do you believe fglrx will do a better job with wine? If so, simply say so. I'm sure he'll read it and take your comments on board along with the statements made by others and make up his own mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by mugginz View Post
                  And given that even ATI fanbois are very cautious and guarded when it comes to wine can you seriously recommend he buy an ATI card?
                  You obviously have problems to read, who has recommended ati to him? please quote the entire post

Comment

Yes! give me the money and your computer , i buy it and configure it, so you will have a pleasant experience, with your 580$! you will never forget me
                    You seem to have that around the wrong way. (should I be surprised?)

Comment

You obviously have problems to read, who has recommended ati to him? please quote the entire post
                      Well if you're saying that he should buy nVidia, then we agree. If you're saying he should by ATI then we disagree. If you're not saying either then you're simply sprouting rubbish.

Comment

• Originally posted by mugginz View Post
                        Well if you're saying that he should buy nVidia, then we agree. If you're saying he should by ATI then we disagree. If you're not saying either then you're simply sprouting rubbish.
                        ? What is that?

Is his money he can buy whatever he wants, I think that reading the first page he has sufficient information.

Am I an ATI fanboy? I said that nvidia is better at wine, video accel, compiz and 2d. and good at native opengl.

You said nosenses about ati opengl native support, you have no idea what is opensource and why are open source lovers. You are miss informed about kde 4. But you are objective ? WTF

Comment

? What is that?

Is his money he can buy whatever he wants, I think that reading the first page he has sufficient information.
                          It's surely a given that it's his money, that a given. But, he's asking for advice on how to spend it. I for one, when advising people on how to spend money, treat this very seriously and in a non frivolous manner. If I give advice it would be along the lines of what I'd spend my own personal money on if my requirements and constraints were the same as he or she asking for that advice. To do any less is very poor form in my view.

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                          Am I an ATI fanboy? I said that nvidia is better at wine, video accel, compiz and 2d. and good at native opengl.
                          I don't know if you are one and I don't care if you are either.

You said nosenses about ati opengl native support,
                          So you beleive ATIs opengl support is in every way as good as nVidia on the Linux platform. Well there we disagree.

you have no idea what is opensource and why are open source lovers.
                          Given that I've made some patches (no matter how small, one for a kernel driver, one for the KDE 3.5 help system) in addition to helping people use opensource software for no payment, I think I may know one or two things about it.

You are miss informed about kde 4.
                          Well so you say. So I ask are you prepared to put your money where your mouth is? Will you send $580 Australian to Bridgman or someone equally trustworthy to hold in trust, so that if I buy the card and I find it unsatisfactory I can send him the card, then he send the money to me, then he send the card to you?

But you are objective ? WTF
                          Yes I'm objective. I'm in a similar position to the OP. I want to buy an ATI card, but due to the reported issues of which there are many, I'm simply holding off until their driver platform is proven across the board in day to day use, and not simply in a small sub-set of use cases that some random person considers "good enough for all" but is a small sub-set of the required usage.

Comment

? What is that?

You said nosenses about ati opengl native support, you have no idea what is opensource and why are open source lovers. You are miss informed about kde 4. But you are objective ? WTF
                            Just ignore it dude. Unfortunately some in this forum likes to talk bad about a vendor, even if they don't own a card from them.

One should only criticize the vendors of the cards they actually own and have experience of.

Comment

• Yeah this is a non sense since page 4, sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hans View Post
                                Just ignore it dude. Unfortunately some in this forum likes to talk bad about a vendor, even if they don't own a card from them.

One should only criticize the vendors of the cards they actually own and have experience of.
                                But again of I'm relaying what OWNERS of the cards are saying, then those said OWNERS are either lying en mass, or maybe they have a point.

Do you think they're all lying or trying to engineer some mass fraud in order to take AMD's reputation down? Do you never take what many say to hold some truth?

Comment

Working...
                                X