Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 10.4 For Linux Officially Released

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 10.4 For Linux Officially Released

While early adopters of Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" have had access to the Catalyst 10.4 Linux driver for more than a month (in fact, two pre-releases) this afternoon AMD has officially released their April Linux driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODE5NQ

Let the bashing begin!

Comment

I will take the lead! It is still crap!

Every time you try Catalyst, god kills a kitten. How many have to die?

Comment

Don't worry... even if we run out of kittens there are still lots of rabbits up here :

http://communications.uvic.ca/releas...release&id=954

Comment

Wow. It supports X Server 1.7. How cutting-edge. I bet NVIDIA is jealous.

Comment

So had to add just over 300 lines to my script because ATI is unable to update the packages dir from fglrx-packageing.git. Could somebody explain too me why this is so complicated? Added a tricky workaround to be able to use Ubuntu packages with squeeze/sid - lucid is used on real Ubuntu only. Do NOT try to use lucid target on Debian. Drivers are patched to support up to 2.6.34 kernel of course.

http://kanotix.com/files/install-fglrx-debian.sh

Comment

I was about to download and install this, but then I realized I've been using nvidia cards for the last five years because catalyst was so traumatizing. I'm so glad I've had these five years with nvidia, id prolly be dead or in jail if I had to deal with catalyst this whole time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                So had to add just over 300 lines to my script because ATI is unable to update the packages dir from fglrx-packageing.git. Could somebody explain too me why this is so complicated? Added a tricky workaround to be able to use Ubuntu packages with squeeze/sid - lucid is used on real Ubuntu only. Do NOT try to use lucid target on Debian. Drivers are patched to support up to 2.6.34 kernel of course.

http://kanotix.com/files/install-fglrx-debian.sh
                all I have to do for every driver release is to change one single line in the ebuild (or sometimes put a # in front of a epatch line ...)

should tell you something.

Comment

I am lucky!! fglrx 10.4 is working fairly well on lucid.

- No video tearing using opengl output
                  - kde 4.4.is working really good and fast (I have disabled desktop effects)
                  - The few games I play on wine are ok (torchlight, gratuitous space battles)
                  - Flash video at full screen are crappy but i think this is adobe fault not fglrx

Comment

yay, those drivers are just the same crapy as the prereleased to ubuntu repos
                    -system freeze when using two monitors configured with xinerama
                    -ignoring ingame gamma changes
                    -OpenGL performance regression

Seriously. Since 8-12 or 9-1 I was happy with every next driver release because everything worked fine, sometimes they added new features and fixed some bugs.

Now I'm just frustrated. I think I'll just need few mins to cooldown -_-; sigh.

Comment

So when will they start fixing the serious bugs such as
                      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/351186

Comment

Just a tiny sidenote: AMD is also making FLOSS drivers for the non-gamers/profesionals and gamers that work with the latest X.org and the supported, olders cards one can buy used for a couple of bucks.

Gamers have always used older OS's (WinXP) and profesionals always used proven and thus also older software anyway.

I'm not gonna bitch this time around

Comment

one min edit fail: minus "and gamers"

Comment

Just tried buildpkg on Karmic x86_64 and it failed.

Code:
                            execstack -c debian/fglrx-amdcccle/usr/lib/bin/amdcccle
                            execstack: cannot open "debian/fglrx-amdcccle/usr/lib/bin/amdcccle": No such file or directory
                            make: *** [binary-install/fglrx-amdcccle] Error 1
                            dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
                            Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.NlzaTl

Comment

@energyman

It's basically ati's fault when they do not update the packageing which is there. I have a script i could update that on my own if i wanted, but of course i have got no write access to the webserver. Usually the Ubuntu packageing was compatible with Debian too, just lucid began to use a different way - call it similar to Gentoo if you like als you can switch the active driver without uninstalling. What you did is not much different to what i did, i just set the target dir to copy differently for squeeze and touch a file which is usally in the older but not in the new xorg dir, that's all. Just that you have to know that do do first - that's nothing a noob about fglrx would try first Basically you would not need the script for 10-4 as the prerelease is alreay in the Debian repository but for future drivers this should work. In a "perfect" ati world i just update the pci id whitelist and change the default version, but that's very unlikely that this happens when ati is involved. ati means extra work in most cases...

@unimatrix

test my script.

Comment

Working...
                              X