No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 10.2 For Linux Gets Direct2D

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*) video playback seems to be fine (haven't tried accelerated video output yet)

Comment

*) compositing is TOTALLY BROKEN (with Direct2D disabled) !
      so either Direct2D or nothing

*) it hardlocks during logging out - so stay away from this release if you don't want to use Direct2D only and hard-reset your box if you need to restart

Comment

*) the old 2d acceleration framework works but without compositing it's only half the fun - so if you don't need compositing or Direct2D it should work ...

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
          2.6.32 works since the 10.1 driver.
          Tanks for the info!

Cheers,
          mibo

Comment

In regards to the hardlocks, I've been able to ssh in and do a reboot. so somethings improved over time. :P

Comment

Originally posted by storma View Post
              In regards to the hardlocks, I've been able to ssh in and do a reboot. so somethings improved over time. :P
              Regarding hard locks: try this out. It works well for me. Make sure your session runs

setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp

You can use the old killX11 3 fingered salute (control-alt-backspace) instead of logging out and X will exit (and gdm re-start) cleanly. The 3-fingered salute will be too late if you've already done the logout and the GPU is frozen, of course.

GPU locks on X11 session exit are just something we learn to live with using fglrx.

Comment

pls, someone with a working direct2dAccel share /etc/ati/amdpcsdb file here! I can't get aticonfig do anythin on my mobility 5650 as its officially unsupported, so i can get a working config file without your help. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by krionius View Post
                  pls, someone with a working direct2dAccel share /etc/ati/amdpcsdb file here! I can't get aticonfig do anythin on my mobility 5650 as its officially unsupported, so i can get a working config file without your help. thanks
                  editing it mannualy didnt help, so i guess there are other settings beside the Direct2DAccel line in the file...so share it pls.

Comment

Here you go:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gmtatiym5do/amdpcsdb

Comment

Direct2DAccel=STRUE
                      interesting. only tried V1 and TRUE. let me see..

it works! Thanks Melcar.

So what kind of tests do you recommend?

Here's the distort i got using d2daccel on hd5650:
                      http://cdn.solidfiles.net/i/CH8t.jpg

window resize is indeed faster. compiz + gnome works okayish, but garbled parts are present..testing further.

any 2d tests recommended?

Comment

Seems like this breaks some SDL related things! If I run Eschalon Book I out of vsync while compiz runs (doing a su - loginid and run the game) it gives black display. In full screen (unredirected) it works okay again.

If running vsynced it still flickers like hell, so the 'su -' workaround is not working for Eschalon. Interestingly NWN1 works okay!

I hope this kind of new acceleration just won't break thing more when it goes 'default'... as of now it breaks further the already slightly working fragile things.

Comment

btw, i can approve that resizing/maximizing feels a bit quicker.

Comment

Okay, so summarizing:

with Direct2DAccel:

- not too much faster but slightly faster 2D with compiz
                            - rendering glitches
                            - suspend/resume is borked, full freeze ! (without it it works!)

Well, i'm beginning to fear that this year's gonna be more like disaster than great improvement in 2d and catalyst... amd/ati hope you know what you're doing...

Comment

Originally posted by krionius View Post
                              Direct2DAccel=STRUE
                              interesting. only tried V1 and TRUE. let me see..

it works! Thanks Melcar.

So what kind of tests do you recommend?

Here's the distort i got using d2daccel on hd5650:
                              http://cdn.solidfiles.net/i/CH8t.jpg

window resize is indeed faster. compiz + gnome works okayish, but garbled parts are present..testing further.

any 2d tests recommended?
                              Wish I knew what is causing the black screens and segfaults with composite managers in some cases though. It works for some, but for others it doesn't. As of now I'm stuck with plain ol' 2D Kwin.
                              The corruption in rendering is expected. Direct2d on this driver revision is very early so expect issues. Corruption with certain rendering operations and slower than xaa (seems to be qorse with qt though). The people that are able to run composite managers with this driver report that direct2d seems a bit snappier. For testing I would just run the guitoolkits test on PTS and maybe some of the Java 2d tests; compare with xaa and direct2d without composition, and again with composition. Would be interesting to see the differences.

Comment

Originally posted by elmo23x View Post
                                for me it is broken...

KDE 4.4 will not start with my 5770.
                                turn off effects and you can log in. Install previous drivers, turn off effects, update drivers, you can log in.

It SUCKS that this well known bug was not fixed.

Comment

Working...
                                X