Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu ATI 5750, Eyefinity, Catalyst support, triple head

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu ATI 5750, Eyefinity, Catalyst support, triple head

    Hello,

    I am trying to find out whether a 3 monitor setup in ubuntu is possible without great pain or expense.

    From what I've read the ATI 5750 should be capable of outputting 3 monitors at 1920x1200 using Eyefinity and apparently this may be supported in the 10.1 catalyst release, which should be availiable in ubuntu 9.10 (lots of should and mays in there :/)

    Just wandering if anyone can confirm this or has managed to get something like this working?

    Any help would be great thanks, its actually to get some more screen real-estate for my job, but would like to figure out if its possible.

    I'm running the latest standard 9.10 Ubuntu with a standard dell core i7 PC. Unfortunatly the mobo in this pc has only 1 PCIe slot. Only odd thing here is I am running 64bit ubuntu.

    Liking the new ATI drivers, for the first time my nvidia drivers at home are giving me some nonsense.

    Thanks,
    Jon

  • #2
    Originally posted by jon.mithe View Post
    From what I've read the ATI 5750 should be capable of outputting 3 monitors at 1920x1200 using Eyefinity
    the hardware is capable, but only if one monitor is attached to the DisplayPort output.
    Originally posted by jon.mithe View Post
    and apparently this may be supported in the 10.1 catalyst release
    10.1 is out and the release docs don't say anything about triple-head support. But I didn't test.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
      the hardware is capable, but only if one monitor is attached to the DisplayPort output.
      Yeah, I heard you can buy a simple DisplayPort -> HDMI adapter for quite cheap.

      10.1 is out and the release docs don't say anything about triple-head support. But I didn't test.
      Yeah this is my primary concern, was hoping someone out here has taken the plunge and tested this.

      Thanks.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jon.mithe View Post
        Yeah, I heard you can buy a simple DisplayPort -> HDMI adapter for quite cheap.
        so did I, but I haven't found one so far. Neither cheap nor expensive. Only apple-specific adapters that don't work with anything else.

        It's not just a physical adapter (like DVI->HDMI) because DP carries a different kind of video signal. Any such adapter must actively convert the video signal.


        But yeah, if you send me one, I'll go test triple-head-support right away.

        Comment


        • #5
          hmm, seems for 3 monitors you may need an "active display port", which is like 80 :/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
            so did I, but I haven't found one so far. Neither cheap nor expensive. Only apple-specific adapters that don't work with anything else.

            It's not just a physical adapter (like DVI->HDMI) because DP carries a different kind of video signal. Any such adapter must actively convert the video signal.


            But yeah, if you send me one, I'll go test triple-head-support right away.
            lol.

            Yeah I dont think this is going to work somehow :/ I actually would need a third monitor so if I can pick one up with a display port in it, that may work... hmm bit of a leap though.

            Comment

            Working...
            X