• Time
  • Show
Clear All

@nbi1

Where do you see 1.6.5 here?

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/xserver-xorg-core

Comment

Debian Testing...

I read a post in here somewhere claiming that Debian Squeeze supports the latest driver.

I am currently fully up to date on Debian Squeeze (as of January, 29th, 2010) and I can definitely tell you something is very wrong. I am using the latest download (10.1).

(II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
      (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so
      dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so: undefined symbol: UpdateSpriteForScreen
      (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so
      (II) UnloadModule: "fglrx"
      (EE) Failed to load module "fglrx" (loader failed, 7)
      (EE) No drivers available.

Then everything fails of course.

I bought my HD3650 hoping to have better support under linux, but so far things seem far more difficult.

A few days ago I had to manually install fglrx by editing a source file and adding an include for 9.12. Now this happens and the old driver doesn't seem to work either anymore.

Comment

You need to downgrade your X.Org to version 7.4. It's been mentioned a dozens of times already that there's no X.Org 7.5 support :P

Comment

anyone got this driver to work with Gentoo and/or 2.6.33-rc* ?

like posted in the news-thread i'm getting following error message:

/usr/src/linux-2.6.33-rc5-zen1_bfs/arch/x86/Makefile:82: stack protector enabled but no compiler support
          CC [M] /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-10.1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
          CC [M] /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-10.1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.o
          In file included from /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-10.1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:449:
          /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-10.1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/drm_proc.h: In function ‘FGLDRM__vma_info’:
          /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-10.1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/drm_proc.h:497: warning: format ‘%08lx’ expects type ‘long unsigned int’, but argument 5 has type ‘phys_addr_t’
          /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-10.1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ‘KCL_SetPageCache_Array’:
          /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-10.1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1322: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘KCL_ConvertPageToKernelAddress’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
          /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-10.1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.h:337: note: expected ‘void *’ but argument is of type ‘long unsigned int’
          /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-10.1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ‘__ke__cmpxchg’:
          /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-10.1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1479: error: variable or field ‘__ret’ declared void
          /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-10.1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1479: error: variable or field ‘__old’ declared void
          /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-10.1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1479: error: variable or field ‘__new’ declared void

/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-10.1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ‘KCL_MapPageToPfn’:
          /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-10.1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1621: warning: unused variable ‘bus_addr’
          make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-10.1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o] Error 1
          make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
          make[1]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-10.1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x] Error 2
          make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.33-rc5-zen1_bfs'
          make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
          * ERROR: x11-drivers/ati-drivers-10.1 failed:
          * Unable to emake HOSTCC=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc CROSS_COMPILE=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu- LDFLAGS= GCC_VER_MAJ=4 KVER=2.6.33-rc5-zen1 KDIR=/usr/src/linux kmod_build
          * Call stack:
          * ebuild.sh, line 48: Called src_compile
          * environment, line 8045: Called linux-mod_src_compile
          * environment, line 7201: Called die
          * The specific snippet of code:
          * eval "emake HOSTCC=\"$(tc-getBUILD_CC)\" CROSS_COMPILE=${CHOST}- LDFLAGS=\"$(get_abi_LDFLAGS)\" ${BUILD_FIXES} ${BUILD_PARAMS} ${BUILD_TARGETS} " || die "Unable to emake HOSTCC="$(tc-getBUILD_CC)" CROSS_COMPILE=${CHOST}- LDFLAGS="$(get_abi_LDFLAGS)" ${BUILD_FIXES} ${BUILD_PARAMS} ${BUILD_TARGETS}";
          * If you need support, post the output of 'emerge --info =x11-drivers/ati-drivers-10.1',
          * the complete build log and the output of 'emerge -pqv =x11-drivers/ati-drivers-10.1'.

Comment

not the problem...

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            You need to downgrade your X.Org to version 7.4. It's been mentioned a dozens of times already that there's no X.Org 7.5 support :P
            Debian Testing is currently using X.Org 7.4. 7.5 is in Unstable.

Comment

Why does

show then 1.7.4? Xorg 7.5+ contains Xserver 1.7. For Xorg 7.4 it would be something with Xserver 1.5/1.6.

Comment

I think people mistake X.Org 7.4 for X.Org server 1.7.4. They see the "7.4" in "1.7.4" and think it's X.Org 7.4. It's not. "xserver-xorg-core 2:1.7.4-2" is part of X.Org release 7.5, *not* 7.4.

Isn't the "dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so: undefined symbol: UpdateSpriteForScreen" when you try to load fglrx on X.Org 7.5?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  I think people mistake X.Org 7.4 for X.Org server 1.7.4. They see the "7.4" in "1.7.4" and think it's X.Org 7.4. It's not. "xserver-xorg-core 2:1.7.4-2" is part of X.Org release 7.5, *not* 7.4.
                  Yeah, they do make it kind of confusing with these version numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    @nbi1

Where do you see 1.6.5 here?

My point exactly, 1.6.5 is part of an older X release not the 7.5 which is not supported. I haven't double checked but are you claiming that 1.6.5 is not in any of the X releases listed in the ATI Release Notes?

Comment

Originally posted by nbi1 View Post
                      My point exactly, 1.6.5 is part of an older X release not the 7.5 which is not supported. I haven't double checked but are you claiming that 1.6.5 is not in any of the X releases listed in the ATI Release Notes?
                      Hmm, maybe not. I just found:
                      http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xse...ver-1.6-branch

which seems to indicate 1.6.5 is pretty new. And newer than 7.4's xorg-server 1.5.1. So it seems to lie between 7.4 (explicitly supported) and 7.5 (explicitly not supported). Strictly by the letter our man Kano seems to be right.

But as I pointed out previously Karmic is explicitly supported *AND* 1.6.5 works perfectly fine under Karmic. So why would Squueeze not be suported? Isn't it just a matter of getting the packaging scripts right?

Comment

No U lucid, D squeeze, Fedora (since > 5 month) is waiting for Xorg 7.5+ support. It broke with Xserver 1.7. Nv binary for current cards basically always worked. Maybe U lucid release date will wake up ATI's deep sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
                          anyone got this driver to work with Gentoo and/or 2.6.33-rc* ?

like posted in the news-thread i'm getting following error message:
                          update:

solved it by adding a rejected / not cleanly applying line from the patch for 2.6.31 / 2.6.32 for 9.11 / 9.12

so 10.1 also works with 2.6.33-rc* kernels !

Comment

update:

solved it by adding a rejected / not cleanly applying line from the patch for 2.6.31 / 2.6.32 for 9.11 / 9.12

so 10.1 also works with 2.6.33-rc* kernels !
                            Any chance you can share the patch? I'm running Debian Squeeze with an ATI card and having the same problem.

Comment

Originally posted by esheesle View Post
                              Any chance you can share the patch? I'm running Debian Squeeze with an ATI card and having the same problem.
                              sure

take a look at bugs.gentoo.org

Comment

sure

take a look at bugs.gentoo.org
                                So in that thread it says you still need to downgrade to an older xorg version. Did you do this?

Was your issue the Undefined symbol UpdateSprite issue many people are experiencing?

Comment

Working...
                                X