X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I managed to get the radeon driver running. However, I get this:

(WW) RADEON(0): Option "ForceLowPowerMode" is not used

Comment

Sounds like the driver might be too old, or is running with KMS.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Sounds like the driver might be too old, or is running with KMS.
        Yes, I managed to enable KMS. I don't need it, but DRI2 needs it, and without DRI2, OpenGL is useless with a composited desktop (flicker and graphics corruption due to "non-unredirected direct rendering", much like fglrx a year or two ago.)

Can't you guys put the 2D part of radeon into fglrx so that we can have a driver that doesn't suck?

Anyway, from what I can see, the OSS driver stack seems to have a long way to go before becoming useful. I hope it will be there by 2012 (where, according to popular belief, the world might end.)

Edit:
        I disabled KMS and ForceLowPowerMode worked. However, scrolling in Firefox is slow and sluggish now. Oh the joy...
        Last edited by RealNC; 01-17-2010, 02:07 PM.

Comment

RealNC: Sorry if I missed it in the thread, but did you say if there's a difference between fan speed in Linux and Windows (when under full load for extended periods of time)? If there's no difference in fan speed, then your card should eventually get 'hamburger hot' in Windows too, no?

The OSS driver is awesome for me. It runs Compiz smoothly, unlike fglrx. I don't have issues with UMS, except maybe some slow scrolling in Firefox when running KDE (not my DE of choice anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            RealNC: Sorry if I missed it in the thread, but did you say if there's a difference between fan speed in Linux and Windows (when under full load for extended periods of time)? If there's no difference in fan speed, then your card should eventually get 'hamburger hot' in Windows too, no?
            Windows does not have open source drivers, so I'm not sure what you're asking.

Comment

Am I right that the current linux catalyst doesnt support the Mobility HD 5xxx series yet?

Comment

I think there will be a new release in a few days. Probably before the weekend.

Comment

I have a 5770 and Debian has upgraded the X.Org to 7.5 (great!).

Where do you check guys the status of the new fglrx drivers? I mean, I was checking out the forums and I didn't find anything about 10.2/3.

Also, where can i check the status of the OSS drivers? (mailing list maybe?) I want to know how is the development of the R800 support.

Do you think it will have a "quick" solution? Right now I'm with VESA, and this is not the best option for my work.... I'm thinking seriously go to nVidia.

Comment

The xorg wiki has some pages which try to reflect current open source driver status :

http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd%3Afeature

http://www.x.org/wiki/GalliumStatus

http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonProgram

The 10.2 and 10.3 fglrx drivers don't exist yet unless you have a time machine; they are the Feb 2010 and Mar 2010 drivers respectively.

The release notes for the latest released fglrx drivers (currently 9.12 but 10.1 should be out real soon) are your best source of info; I'm hoping we can add some similar "snapshot" information about what is supported in the future rather than just listing the deltas from previous releases.

Comment

10.1 out today:
                      http://twitter.com/CatalystMaker

Here's hoping for 7.5 support.

Comment

I hope the Windows version won't suck like 9.12 did.

Comment

Yes they did it again!

I am speaking of releasing without xorg 7.5 support :<

Comment

Tbh i'd just be happy to know *when* to expect xorg 7.5 support. It seems extremely difficult to get any timescale - even a rough one. Literally all we're asking for here. An expected (even if very rough) timescale regarding 7.6 support would also be of interest for those using fedora.

Comment

The latest date would be driven by one of our suppoted distros releasing a final version using xorg 7.5, backing up enough to allow for integration testing then rounding forward to the next monthly Catalyst release. I assume the driving release in this case would be Ubuntu 10.04.

We are trying to provide support for new versions earlier as time permits, but given that we are in the middle of launching a wave of new GPUs I wouldn't expect support to be a lot earlier this time around.

Comment

Hello,

I would like to react on this:

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                                We are trying to provide support for new versions earlier as time permits, but given that we are in the middle of launching a wave of new GPUs I wouldn't expect support to be a lot earlier this time around.
                                Isn't the linux support team apart from the one designing new GPUs?

From what I know, given that most distributions are moving to Xorg 7.5/1.7.x and that downgrading is a mess (impossible?) most users will end up being totally unable to use ATI proprietary drivers because of their daily/weekly upgrade.

I don't mean to be rude but in this situation I don't think focusing efforts on supporting new GPUs for a few privileged recent clients and dropping support for all other users is the right strategy. The negative image ATI had in the past among the linux community was I think getting away with its recent *regular* driver updates (Catalyst 9.x, support for OpenGL 3.x, ...). However to my mind retarding the resolution of such a critical issue (Xorg 7.5/1.7.x support) will surely bring this bad image back. Don't get me wrong I'm not pro-Nvidia -- all my past GPUs are ATI's -- but I feel that dealing with this issue would be *really* appreciated by the community... a lot more than support for new GPUs.

Sincerely,

Comment

Working...
                                X