Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Releases The Radeon HD 5970 2GB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD Releases The Radeon HD 5970 2GB

    Phoronix: AMD Releases The Radeon HD 5970 2GB

    Today AMD finally lifted the lid on Hemlock, their new ultra high-end dual-GPU graphics card that is being marketed as the Radeon HD 5970 (similar to the Radeon HD 4870 X2 but now for the Evergreen GPU family). The Radeon HD 5970 has 3200 stream processors (1600 per Cypress GPU), a combined 2GB of GDDR5 video memory, and AMD Eyefinity support for driving three displays simultaneously...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzcxNg

  • #2
    Wow the US price of $599.99 from amazon.com seems seriously good value. The UK amazon price of 528.67 ($889.011 at current exchange rates) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-HD5...8554603&sr=8-1 seems not to be.

    Comment


    • #3
      VAT is not 32.5%

      Wow the US price of $599.99 from amazon.com seems seriously good value. The UK amazon price of 528.67 ($889.011 at current exchange rates) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-HD5...8554603&sr=8-1 seems not to be.

      Comment


      • #4
        The big question is if it offers anything more then a single GPU card, or is it going to be the same old song and dance that you can only use 1 GPU under linux leaviing it no better then a extremely overpriced 5870.

        Comment


        • #5
          Monster card for Microsoft Windows, but just an expensive paperweight for Linux.

          Go go AMD

          Comment


          • #6
            Maybe somebody can put some ligth on that strange thing: it is said that the open source driver does not work with digital outputs... but aren't digital outputs managed with the infamous ATOM bios where video mode programming is done the same way on any ATOM bios board?
            If breakage there is, is this related to the new eye infinity engine?

            Comment


            • #7
              Modesetting is not done the same way on every ATOM board. ATOM just provides an abstraction from the hardware; the ATOM setup changes as the hardware evolves. The crtc and analog ATOM tables are pretty similar to older generations, however the digital ATOM tables have changed due to the new display hardware.

              Comment


              • #8
                2GB of VRAM sounds nice, GTA IV would be happy. $600 is awful lot of money .

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  The crtc and analog ATOM tables are pretty similar to older generations, however the digital ATOM tables have changed due to the new display hardware.
                  Yep, that's the fundamental difference between AtomBIOS and conventional video BIOS -- conventional VBIOS force the API to a "lowest common denominator", AtomBIOS evolves along with major changes in the hardware.

                  If we only used the VESA BIOS calls then digital outputs would be working, but there's already a vesa driver for that with all of the limitations that go along with it.

                  Eyefinity is a pretty drastic change from previous display controllers, so there's a learning curve associated with the initial debug.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    new table?

                    Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    Modesetting is not done the same way on every ATOM board. ATOM just provides an abstraction from the hardware; the ATOM setup changes as the hardware evolves. The crtc and analog ATOM tables are pretty similar to older generations, however the digital ATOM tables have changed due to the new display hardware.
                    So it's not the ATOM functions that have changed but just the digital output table format! It's "just a matter" of writting a proper table parser, but in the end the same ATOM functions get called?
                    BTW, is the eye infinity engine transparently managed througth the ATOM bios? Is it the eye infinity which pushed the new table format? That would explain much since configuring the transmitters/scalers-scanners to output one framebuffer on many displays implies a new logic.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                      2GB of VRAM sounds nice, GTA IV would be happy. $600 is awful lot of money .
                      it's still "only" 1 GB per GPU. As GPUs cannot access each other's memory, all textures etc. need to be kept twice. It'll still be a while until you can actually crank that slider in GTA IV.

                      Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      Eyefinity is a pretty drastic change from previous display controllers, so there's a learning curve associated with the initial debug.
                      I imagine that's one of the more difficult things to debug. "Oh, it's a black screen.. again!"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by sylware View Post
                        So it's not the ATOM functions that have changed but just the digital output table format! It's "just a matter" of writting a proper table parser, but in the end the same ATOM functions get called?
                        The atom table format is the same across all ATOM implementations. You use the same parser any ATOM table regardless of chip. The tables' content changes with new display hardware since the underlying hardware changes. Sometimes new tables get added, sometimes, the input parameters to the tables change. The tables are versioned, so you know what input parameters to use for each version. Evergreen added some new tables and updated the inputs on several other ones, so the driver code has to be updated to handle that. Even once the code is written there is still debugging involved to get everything set up right.
                        Here's the code for ATOM based modesetting in the radeon driver for r4xx-r7xx chips:
                        http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...tombios_crtc.c
                        http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...mbios_output.c
                        As you can see, each generation has some similarities and differences.

                        Originally posted by sylware View Post
                        BTW, is the eye infinity engine transparently managed througth the ATOM bios? Is it the eye infinity which pushed the new table format? That would explain much since configuring the transmitters/scalers-scanners to output one framebuffer on many displays implies a new logic.
                        Yes, ATOM handles eyefinity setup.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks AMD again for giving Linux support for another dual core card and once again totally forget about the HD3870 X2 in the new Catalyst drivers,

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            They only sold THIS specific card as Win only, cool or Well i would just disable the logo with a hack you find here in the board too when you search a bit

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MichaelPalin View Post
                              Thanks AMD again for giving Linux support for another dual core card and once again totally forget about the HD3870 X2 in the new Catalyst drivers,
                              That will change with optimal open source drivers. We have to speed up the drivers dev in order to avoid that such things happen in the future.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X