If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
No announcement yet.
AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux
Libva seems to load without any problems; same with fglrx.
That looks similar to the output of my radeon hd 5000 series card.
Exactly what type of card are you using there?
Someone reported to me that vaapi_h264 --getimage --getimage-format yv12 works on HD 5450. So, this means vaGetImage(), and thus chances are that could work with VLC too. I can't try myself, we no longer have any working HD 5000 series chip. The vaPutSurface() path may still be broken though.
Damn now that I switched to open drivers they decided to fix it . I can't test it myself because I'm on xserver 1.9. But is it really stable solution for video playback now? Like no lockups, spontaneous reboots and all that other funny shit that fglrx has pulled in the past...
It's on my benchmark box only. Did only try samples no full movie. But xserver 1.9 should be a solveable problem in the next month. It is like always, ati devs do not fix something before they get really pressure. Ubuntu needs Xserver 1.9 support for 10.10 and that will be the first driver to support it, not even 1 driver release before.
I was curious if this XvBA thing also works on my "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650" (Thinkpad T500). So I did some testing, but unfortunately it always led to a full system crash. However I was still able to access the machine with ssh and I saved at least some log files. I can reproduce the crash for example with all H.264 video-files I came across.
Here are some infos about my system:
Distribution: Archlinux x86_64
Graphics card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
Kernel: 2.6.35-ARCH (stock Arch kernel)
X.org driver: Catalyst 10.9 (fglrx module version = 8.77.5)
Some software versions:
Maybe it helps to fix the problem someday and makes UVD unit work on my system ... hopefully. Of course there is also the possibility that I do something fundamental wrong, in this case I would be happy for some hints. :-)
Btw, the driver reports (according to X.org.log):
(==) fglrx(0): ATI 2D Acceleration Architecture enabled
(II) fglrx(0): UVD2 feature is available
Jepp, I tested a VC-1 file and that works perfectly here too. I tested gl output and xv (I assume it is xv if I don't define it explicitly!?).
here are the two log file for the vc-1 video, just in case it would help to hunt down the issue with the h264 videos:
mplayer -vo vaapi -va vaapi 00501.m2ts http://pastebin.com/gx1UEdRm
again all test were done on my Thinkpad T500 with a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 (RV635)
if you are willing to fix the problem with the h264 decoding, I would volunteer as beta-tester and provide you with the needed information (log files, etc.). Of course, this implies that the problem lies in the xvba-video implementation. I don't want to claim that, but you are the only one who can answer that. :-)
Thanks for the pointer. I gave it a try. XvBA does indeed work now with Evergreen and vlc, but CPU usage it too high especially with GL output. It's okaish with Xv output, but contrary to some recent claims I have read here Xv still tears, so that's not an option. I guess vlc is doing something different and terribly inefficient and that's why it works with vlc but not with mplayer.