AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @gebauche

I know decoding a movie in opencl is not as good as dedicated hardware. But how hard do you think it would be to write a h.264 opencl implementation, which uses the vaapi api?

I think it could be a funny summer vacation project.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panix View Post
      I have a hard time believing Q's claim that all those applications and features work with the radeon driver.
      you can not believe that wine will NOT work? thats really funny! because winehq write this in the chancelog!
      wine 1.1.43: "wined3d: Don't use GLSL if the supported version isn't at least 1.20. "
      mesa7.8 only have ogl2.0 for the hd4xxx cards

ok some infos for you if you wana be sure thats all fine if you buy a amd card!

wait for the linux kernel 2.6.34! because this is the first kernel with full energysave support for the amd cards.

wait for the mesa 7.9! because this version will have OGL2.1! thats because games like HON need OGL2.1! and wine need OGL2.1!

if you wana more opensource features you need to wait longer if you wana buy a hd5xxx i think you need wait a bit

galium brings nice features in the opensource world to the hd5xxx faster cpu raseriser for non supportet extansions and also much more 'speed' and i think in generall OGL3+

Comment

• Originally posted by Hans View Post
        the xserver with the no backfill patch
        nice to help people hans but this information will be obsolete in 20-50 days!

because fglrx 10-5 or 10-6 will have a stable direct2D EXA like implementation

EXA for exampel do not need the no backfill patch!

you also can activate the direct2D right now in the 10-4 catalyst driver.

but yes in 10-5 and 10-6 the direct2D(exa) will come to the mainstream!

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
          you can not believe that wine will NOT work? thats really funny! because winehq write this in the chancelog!
          wine 1.1.43: "wined3d: Don't use GLSL if the supported version isn't at least 1.20. "
          mesa7.8 only have ogl2.0 for the hd4xxx cards

ok some infos for you if you wana be sure thats all fine if you buy a amd card!

wait for the linux kernel 2.6.34! because this is the first kernel with full energysave support for the amd cards.

wait for the mesa 7.9! because this version will have OGL2.1! thats because games like HON need OGL2.1! and wine need OGL2.1!

if you wana more opensource features you need to wait longer if you wana buy a hd5xxx i think you need wait a bit

galium brings nice features in the opensource world to the hd5xxx faster cpu raseriser for non supportet extansions and also much more 'speed' and i think in generall OGL3+
          So, in a nutshell, the HD 4xxx series of cards allows all features and no issues or is there issues? I would like an objective opinion here if there is ANYTHING to speak of regarding issues. It sounds like even Wine works?

If I go with a HD 5000 series card, the fglrx driver works but I would like to know if there is issues with that. 2D has been reported in the past to have some issues like tearing. I am wondering how prominent this is and what is the specific update on this.

I understand FOSS drivers are not available for the HD 5000 cards but this is a WIP type deal. Since I watch movies and streaming video (on occasion, such as YouTube) on my computer, I need a quality picture and related features. I wish the support updates and 'fixes' were quicker but if video quality is there, I could wait if there are no 'dealbreaker' issues with whatever driver is available. I couldn't excuse major issues like tearing or ones that prevent full use of the card. The problem is I wouldn't know how long I'd have to wait.

It seems like lack of XV/XvMA support has been going on forever so these long-waited features and functions of the card which should be available if AMD/ATI really support Linux is worrisome to me, at least. I think the excuse that the overall support was started late can't be used infinitely. At some point, there has to be a major investment to get this support progressions out more quickly. Find a way or something?!? *BOTH* Linux and Windows users want or would prefer to use ATI cards right now because of hardware. Few people switch because of the drivers unless you're a die-hard FOSS driver fanatic who doesn't care about how long the support fixes happen. I don't want to be a 2nd choice, down in the hierarchy of priorities or play 2nd or 3rd fiddle to Workstation ppl. If both can't be accommodated, then I can't justify an ATI purchase unless I'm going to use Windows anyway. You would just have constant driver problems which would hamper your use of the card. I'd have no choice but to get a Nvidia card.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Once the Gallium3D driver and LLVM-compiled SW TCL starts working on your hardware you might be pleasantly surprised.

One of the biggest differences between the Catalyst driver and open source drivers on your chip was the software TCL code (aka running vertex shaders on the CPU). That code was pretty slow on classic mesa but apparently the LLVM compiler generates very efficient code, so hopefully you should see open source performance that is closer to Catalyst than what you have seen previously.

Don't think SW TCL is working yet on the Gallium3D driver but keep your eyes open for it.
            wow, bridgeman, your saying your replying on generic LLVM to generate sane L0/L1 etc code when its well know it uses much off GGC and that has serious problems producing efficiant code as can be witnessed if you just go ask the assembly code devs on #x264 and #x264dev IRC channels.

are you as inthe AMD/ATI devs etc trully not helping fix these many GGC/LLVM problems with patches to at least help produce far better cache assembly code so helping G3 and other video related apps ?

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Once the Gallium3D driver and LLVM-compiled SW TCL starts working on your hardware you might be pleasantly surprised.

One of the biggest differences between the Catalyst driver and open source drivers on your chip was the software TCL code (aka running vertex shaders on the CPU). That code was pretty slow on classic mesa but apparently the LLVM compiler generates very efficient code, so hopefully you should see open source performance that is closer to Catalyst than what you have seen previously.

Don't think SW TCL is working yet on the Gallium3D driver but keep your eyes open for it.
              wow, bridgeman, your saying your replying on generic LLVM to generate sane L0/L1 etc code when its well know it uses much off GGC and that has serious problems producing efficiant code as can be witnessed if you just go ask the assembly code devs on #x264 and #x264dev IRC channels.

are you as in the AMD/ATI devs etc trully not helping fix these many GCC/LLVM problems in a timely mannor with patches to at least help produce far better cache assembly code so helping G3D and other video related apps as they become known and tested against highly optimised apps such as x264cli etc ?

Comment

• the editing time is a joke on these board now, can we have a reasonable edit time reinstated by the opps to stop this having to repost twice, it doesnt even know my first post is mine so i cant delete it.

Comment

• Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
                  XvBA does not support Radeon HD 5xxx. And last time I asked, it was not planned to be fixed. So, if some developer has some spare time and is really willing to dig into this code, this could be interesting for users. Thanks. ;-)
                  "
                  XvBA does not support Radeon HD 5xxx."
                  thats a shame gbeauche, i was hoping your work would be a good thing for things like the Hard "birds" x264 sample AVC and werth my time spending on a set of new HD5750 for all my machines, good to know the HDx5 series is Not werth the money atthis time, thanks.

Comment

• try decoding this PlanetEarthBirds.mkv 2 minute clip
                    http://mirror05.x264.nl/Dark/x264clips/

http://mirror05.x264.nl/Dark/x264cli...EarthBirds.mkv
                    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...114#post111114

if you happen to have a working gbeauche XvBA install and the right AMD/ATI HD card and report back would be a very good thing perhaps.

YES its hard to decode, thats the whole point as its an available BR disk encode.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panix View Post
                      So, in a nutshell, the HD 4xxx series of cards allows all features and no issues or is there issues?
                      issues? be sure if i found an real issue i post it to the forum! or if its really hard directly to bridgman...

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                      I would like an objective opinion here if there is ANYTHING to speak of regarding issues.
                      what is objectiv? im not payed by amd... I'm free i do not sigh an NDA!

like kano... but kano isn't so funny(really not),,,

It sounds like even Wine works?
                      wine.. yes wine.. in my last test radeon beat fglrx:

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23274

but yes even wine...

If I go with a HD 5000 series card,
                      i do not have a hd5000 card but kano do not have a hd5000 to ;-)

so in real: we do not know

the fglrx driver works but I would like to know if there is issues with that.
                      yes fglrx haves issues
                      exa(direct2D) isn't ready yet means your 3D-desktop is broken by design.
                      wine in my point of view is broken on FGLRX i do not have any game works on fglrx...wine is a desaster on fglrx radeon can beat fglrx in my test!

2D has been reported in the past to have some issues like tearing.
                      tearing isn't a problem you can fix this with openGL output and vsinc on.

2D do have real problems on fglrx... 3D-Desktop is broken by design only direct2D can fix this in the future mybe catalyst 10-6

KDE4 is also a problem for fglrx means slow and laggy as hell and on kubuntu 9.10 crashes

fglrx and 2D means only gnome and only 2D desktop no 3D-desktop

I am wondering how prominent this is and what is the specific update on this.
                      I understand FOSS drivers are not available for the HD 5000 cards but this is a WIP type deal. Since I watch movies and streaming video (on occasion, such as YouTube) on my computer, I need a quality picture and related features. I wish the support updates and 'fixes' were quicker but if video quality is there, I could wait if there are no 'dealbreaker' issues with whatever driver is available. I couldn't excuse major issues like tearing or ones that prevent full use of the card. The problem is I wouldn't know how long I'd have to wait.
                      fglrx in my point of view catalyst 10-6

radeon in my point of view kernel2.6.34 and mesa7.9

It seems like lack of XV/XvMA support has been going on forever so these long-waited features and functions of the card which should be available if AMD/ATI really support Linux is worrisome to me, at least. I think the excuse that the overall support was started late can't be used infinitely. At some point, there has to be a major investment to get this support progressions out more quickly. Find a way or something?!? *BOTH* Linux and Windows users want or would prefer to use ATI cards right now because of hardware. Few people switch because of the drivers unless you're a die-hard FOSS driver fanatic who doesn't care about how long the support fixes happen. I don't want to be a 2nd choice, down in the hierarchy of priorities or play 2nd or 3rd fiddle to Workstation ppl. If both can't be accommodated, then I can't justify an ATI purchase unless I'm going to use Windows anyway. You would just have constant driver problems which would hamper your use of the card. I'd have no choice but to get a Nvidia card.
                      nvidia is the worst case to support opensource... buy a 'intel' or 'AMD' or 'VIA'

really nvidia is the 'worst'

Comment

• I just looked at the X.Org Wiki. The R700 cards show that 3D Mesa works but 'may have bugs.' So, even the X.Org group figure the support is not 100% functional when it comes to 3D. This seems to indicate that the support is not as good as Nvidias and that problems can be expected.

The FOSS driver support or current situation/status looks a bit better but of course limited. The Evergreen cards are, more or less, WIP with the fglrx driver and NO support at all for the FOSS driver. When did these cards come out? About a year ago? That's pretty bad, imho.

really nvidia is the 'worst'
                        For what? OSS? Okay, we've established that already. But, the cards will work. Maybe Fermi won't yet but I suspect the wait for driver support will be shorter than support for Evergreen. I want to buy an ATI card but I perceive the devotion or investment for support to be subpar on the Linux side. They have a driver split but on both sides, it is not very good. To appease Linux users, this idea of using open source is used but overall functioning of the card is not optimized and there's a constant waiting game for driver updates and full-featured support.

Yet, when ATI users complain and request more perseverence in driver support, some ATI fanboys scream that Nvidia is worse for using a closed source driver and the devs ask for patience but they didn't buy the cards.

I agree, Nvidia sucks for the closed mentality and lack of OSS driver support but the card will work. When you're Joe User that is what you want. I can't afford the time and I definitely don't have the money to fight the good fight. If ATI driver support was significantly better the and the updates were good and in a timely manner, yeah, I would do my part to get and use a card. I'd try to help with bug reports or whatever I could offer/provide but I don't perceive a strong investment to hurry this improvement. Maybe they are tied down by Windows or just don't have the money, not sure. Well, I will think about it as I do want to go with ATI in spite of the problems.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Panix;123161] I just looked at the X.Org Wiki. The R700 cards show that 3D Mesa works but 'may have bugs.' So, even the X.Org group figure the support is not 100% functional when it comes to 3D.

The issue with R700 and Mesa is mostly that we don't have good criteria for moving from "Mostly" to "Done", so things tend to stick in "Mostly" for a long time.

[QUOTE=Panix;123161] This seems to indicate that the support is not as good as Nvidias and that problems can be expected.

I don't understand this statement. You're comparing our open source support to NVidia's open source support and saying ours is not as good ?

The FOSS driver support or current situation/status looks a bit better but of course limited. The Evergreen cards are, more or less, WIP with the fglrx driver and NO support at all for the FOSS driver.
                          Again, not sure what you mean by "more or less WIP with the fglrx driver". AFAIK support for Evergreen is the same as support for 6xx/7xx, with some minor differences (OpenGL 4 is Evergreen only, but XvBA is reported not to work with Evergreen).

When did these cards come out? About a year ago? That's pretty bad, imho.
                          More like 2-6 months ago, isn't it ? The DX11 family initial launch was at the end of September 2009, and the GPUs were launched in waves between then and Feb 2010. One could argue that's pretty good for a new generation of GPUs, particularly since most of the work was going into the 6xx/7xx support until the start of 2010.

Comment

• So what we really need is something that allows edits but only if the new post is "better" than the old post

Comment

• Is it also good when XvBA does not work with R800 at all?

Comment

• Yeah, XvBA is turning into a disaster of epic proportions. gbeauche is saying that AMD doesn't even intend to ever support r800? So they're abandoning the whole API? Or does that mean that r900 support will come back, and r800 will just be skipped?

???

Or maybe they're just waiting for some embedded company to pay them to develop it, i suppose. Yuck, it seems like video acceleration on ATI cards is pretty much DOA on linux.

Comment

Working...
                                X